delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Recently, user consolevariations on Twitter reported on the story of a Sony Playstation 5 development kit being sold as a thinly disguised PlayStation 5-themed pizza oven dubbed the "PizzaStation 5 Development Pizza Kit."
In console gaming, development kits are pieces of pre-release console hardware with added development features. Their release is usually strictly controlled—actually reselling a development kit from a console manufacturer is a surefire way to get developers or studios blocked, so it doesn't happen, especially not like this, though this clever disguise likely prevented automated systems from detecting the dev kit listing.
Of the details in the original development kit listing, the use of thin-crust frozen pizzas may not be the most amusing. Instead, one can't help but notice the custom spatula pictured with the unit, which features a classic PlayStation logo emblazoned just under the head of the spatula. With today's exchange rate in mind, this presentation ultimately earned the lister €6,050, or roughly ~ $6,500.
Typically, seeing console development kits in the wild means that a studio was robbed or shut down or that the existence of upcoming consoles is being leaked via photos or more of their development kits in action or shipment. For example, reports of PS5 Pro dev kit leaks in December 2023 culminated in a series of full PS5 Pro specs leaks in March 2024.

www.tomshardware.com

PizzaStation 5 Development Pizza Kit sold for $6,500 — thinly-disguised Sony PS5 dev kit slips past Sony

Complete with a slice of frozen pizza and a spatula sporting a PlayStation logo

Eat my pizza if old.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Typically, seeing console development kits in the wild means that a studio was robbed..
Wait, typically? Are studios frequently being broken into? Am I weird for thinking it seems wild that this is among the most common reasons for a dev kit going up for sale?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That dev kit will probably be bricked as soon as it phones home.

Someone will try to crack it. And even if they can't, the novelty alone will mean people will still pay money for it.

Wait, typically? Are studios frequently being broken into? Am I weird for thinking it seems wild that this is among the most common reasons for a dev kit going up for sale?

Robbed in the sense that a dev took the kit without authorization, I think.

Jul 1, 2020
Someone will try to crack it. And even if they can't, the novelty alone will mean people will still pay money for it.
If the right person with the right skillset has physical access to the machine, they'll be able to make it at least do something. I would imagine any hardware like this having a phone home mechanism in it where if it doesn't talk to the mothership every so often then it will lock itself down.

BareKnuckle

Oct 26, 2017
What is the risk if the dev kit is made public? Never understood why they need to be kept secret.

(genuine question, zero snark intended).

AndTAR

Oct 28, 2017
.. I suppose the apparent homage to a certain older Sony meme almost has to be intentional. :D

56185869_cabc1bb5c7_w.jpg

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK

Robbed in the sense that a dev took the kit without authorization, I think.

It's probably more likely that a developer who got laid off had a dev kit at home and gave it to a mate to shift. Which yes, is then stolen property.

What is the risk if the dev kit is made public? Never understood why they need to be kept secret.

(genuine question, zero snark intended).

Honestly, nothing. They might have some unreleased firmware on with some feature set that hasn't been made public yet - but that's quite rare.
They're big paper weights outside of being used professionally with the check in to Sony Servers.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm surprised these things don't have 5G built into them with geo location on and once it goes somewhere it's not when powered on it gets locked or wiped

Infinitus

Nov 10, 2023
UK
I'm surprised these things don't have 5G built into them with geo location on and once it goes somewhere it's not when powered on it gets locked or wiped
They auto activate themselves via sony servers every couple of days, and its only possible to activate from a whitelisted IP address.

Once the activation runs out they turn into a brick, so they pretty much already have that, just with a day or so's delay.