CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

I only first heard of this game when the review thread popped up and there were a couple glowing opinions, but I spent a solid three hours playing this with a friend this weekend and had an absolute blast. There's both local and online co-op which was excellent, because I find many indie games like this tend to be local only which is very frustrating.

The actual game is just this super bright, colorful, almost surreal world where you (or you and a partner) control a two headed dog separated by a long body that can stretch. From there, it's just a bunch of incredibly creative puzzles and experiences. I haven't played through the entire game, but in the couple hours I played I was very impressed at the amount of different ideas and tasks the game kept throwing at us, and how clever some of them were. The game is trippy as hell, with a pretty unique visual design that's both cute and kind of abstract, and the music has this unnerving feeling that reminded me of the background music in an episode of Rugrats (just go watch an early episode of Rugrats, you'll know what I mean).

My big issue so far is that we have encountered a few bugs, one of which almost halted our progress because we got stuck on geometry. Nothing has been game breaking, and there haven't been a ton of them, but they're there. As well, the stretch mechanic where you can hold a trigger to make yourself longer just doesn't always feel right, it feels like it doesn't want to do it sometimes. Again, not a game breaking thing.

Overall though it is such a pleasant surprise that for me at least came out of nowhere, and I'm incredibly excited to play more of it with my friend. It's on all platforms, and is available on Xbox Game Pass.

Snert

Banned
Dec 1, 2020
Would you recommend this for a non-gamer? Tried to play Snipperclips with my partner and they were bored within the first few stages.

She does like Gardens Between and Overcooked, however.

OP
OP
CloseTalker

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Would you recommend this for a non-gamer? Tried to play Snipperclips with my partner and they were bored within the first few stages.

She does like Gardens Between and Overcooked, however.
I think it could work! It's not too mechanics-heavy, and a lot of the levels call out to real world things like bowling, roller coasters, etc. I think it would be a lot of fun with someone who isn't super into games

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
Me and my wife are having an absolutely fantastic time with Sackboy, so I'm definitely looking forward to this

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
It is a lot of fun! I like how the puzzles are clever, but not overly complex, so as not to create discord with your friend/spouse.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
It's a pretty decent full game created around Noby Noby Boy. I finished the first world and honestly didn't find it fantastic, it's good to play with a child but even she got bored at times: the boss battle we did was not great, sometimes it seems like the designers just gave up and embraced the jank. Controls also don't feel as snappy as Noby Noby Boy, but I'm sure there are some gameplay reasons for that.
There's plenty of bugs and the developers are probably aware of this since you can always respawn to the latest checkpoint. It is pretty funny to have your dogs launched into the stratosphere and respawns are always successful (if they don't work at first, try again) so it's no big deal.
The game truly shines when it introduces some new mechanic that forces you to think differently about the puzzles, and I hope there are more level like this. Art direction is pretty great, too.