ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
There was a time that Nadella was questioning what the future of the Xbox brand would be after the Xbox One reveal. Spencer told Nadella that the company needed to go "all-in" on gaming and the rest is history. What followed was the acquisition of Minecraft, the Xbox One X, and countless studio acquisitions.

A few months later, Spencer took over as head of Xbox. Whatever jubilation he felt was short-lived; a few weeks into the job, he got a call from Satya Nadella... 'I don't actually know a whole lot about why we're in gaming,' Nadella told him... Many developers who had worked on the Xbox One felt let down by Microsoft's big vision; it was, as some told Spencer, not in line with 'the soul' of what Xbox was. 'Satya was transparent that there could be a future where gaming isn't a business that Microsoft should be in,' Spencer told me... He looked at where Xbox had failed, and how the brand could be saved — if at all. When he finally called Nadella back, it was to say this: 'If we're going to stay in the gaming space, then let's make sure we're all-in. The last thing I wanted to do was run the gaming organization here as kind of an afterthought of the company and kind of half-in, half-out. Let's go fix who we are.

He pushed Nadella to acquire... Minecraft, for $2.5 billion — a move that gave Microsoft exclusive control over the most popular game in the world... Microsoft announced the game would continue to be available on all platforms, including those of its direct competitors. It was an unprecedented move for a publisher of Microsoft's size. 'One of the first calls we got after the Minecraft acquisition was from Sony saying, 'Are you going to pull it off PlayStation?',' Spencer said. 'And I'm like, 'Why would I do that? People like playing it on PlayStation.'

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Props on them for keeping Minecraft on Playstation.

Any chance their other acquired studios release their games on Playstation? Hellblade 2 perhaps? As I'm sure a significant portion of Hellblade 1's audience was on Playstation.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what's up, but the Gamespot interview is actually from months ago even though the article's date is from a few days ago.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
"Im not sure we should be in gaming....."

Phil gets the guy to not only change his mind but drop 2.5 billion dollars on some game that came from space.

Give the man his props

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to read how open Nadella was with Spencer about the Xbox future.

Spencer must've seen this as his one shot to turn the ship around and he succeeded.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
The all in one entertainment, plug in your set top box bullshit was clearly executives that had no clue pushing some boomer vision of content consumption.

Can't imagine how demoralising it would have been to be on the team building the Xbox One.
There was so much bullshit coming from their marketeers.

Spencer really righted a ship that had almost capsized it seems especially if the CEO was looking to pull the plug.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Any chance their other acquired studios release their games on Playstation? Hellblade 2 perhaps? As I'm sure a significant portion of Hellblade 1's audience was on Playstation.
That one is not happening because it's not minecraft. The simple fact you hope it might is the whole reason why it won't be.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
It amazes me people hate Spencer when he genuinely seems to he wants to grow the business by being consumer friendly.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Minecraft is special in a way. And was already on other platforms.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Isn't this old news already?

Anyway, even it being old this is why i like Spencer and think he is best thing that happened to Microsoft gaming.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017

They didn't pay $2.5 billion for Ninja Theory. So no. I wouldn't hold your breath for it.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this interview is months old. Gamespot just reposted it. Good stuff nonetheless.

dreamyOz

Banned
Aug 19, 2019

I don't think so. Can you imagine Sony allowing the release of Sunset Overdrive 2 (if it happens) on Xbox and PC? I can't.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I have to admire meeting an exec level and convincing your boss to not only stay in an industry he doesn't understand, but to get a budget increase in the billions.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
That one is not happening because it's not minecraft. The simple fact you hope it might is the whole reason why it won't be.
Well Minecraft was just making too much money on non-xbox platforms to pull it offI guess.

I only want it on Playstation for the potential easy platinum trophy like the first game. Orherwise, if the second game is good I'll gladly get it on PC.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Who was it that made all of the awful Xbone decisions and basically screwed Microsoft for a whole generation?
It feels like Spencer has been playing mad catchup ever since.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The all-in approach is showing: tons of great studio acquisitions, great third party deals, some insane hardware work between the X and Series X in particular, backwards compatibility, Game Pass and its day one first parties... it's an exciting time for present or future Xbox owners, because they are clearly putting insane amounts of effort and money into the project after a legit risk of seeing them fold under a different leadership.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
I have to admire meeting an exec level and convincing your boss to not only stay in an industry he doesn't understand, but to get a budget increase in the billions.

I imagine part of it was about motivating Spencer to come up with a coherent plan or the box division. Lighting a fire under their ass, effectively.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like they had many alternatives...you either go big or go home for a company like MS. Gaming business is way to cutthroat for any halfsteps.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. Get it back to basics, and focus on the elements that your primary audience are most concerned about.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who was it that made all of the awful Xbone decisions and basically screwed Microsoft for a whole generation?

I dont think it was one individual but Terry Myerson (ex head of Windows) and Don Mattrick (head of Xbox) were responsible for a lot of the strategy and funding available to Xbox back at the XB1 launch.

Both are now gone and Phil reports directly to Satya and Amy Hood.

Last edited:

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Well Minecraft was just making too much money on non-xbox platforms to pull it offI guess.

I only want it on Playstation for the potential easy platinum trophy like the first game. Orherwise, if the second game is good I'll gladly get it on PC.
Yeah no trophy for you it looks like. Doesn't matter where you get it end of the day I guess.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
As a PC and Nintendo gamer i'm happy going all in meant bring their exclusives and services like Gamepass on Windows 10

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Yeah no trophy for you it looks like. Doesn't matter where you get it end of the day I guess. Steam achievement same shit.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It amazes me people hate Spencer when he genuinely seems to he wants to grow the business by being consumer friendly.

Honestly I was pretty ambivalent on Spencer for a long time. Just didn't seem like much changed after he became the head of the Xbox branch. However at this point I'm really liking what I'm seeing from Spencer and the xbox teams.

Compass

alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
source.gif

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
I appreciate what Spencer has done. I'm grateful that MS has a CEO who listens. Nadella has been great for MS.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

Mr. Don "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity: it's called Xbox 360." Mattrick.

When Phil took over, he also still had to report to Terry Myerson (executive vice president, which covered Windows, Windows Phone and everything Xbox) to get anything approved. This changed when Myerson left the company and Phil became part of the Senior Leadership Team at Microsoft and could report to Satya Nadella directly.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nyyv9jhd.gif

phil is a great guy, and a really positive force for the gaming industry. the fact that some people still think he's a "PR guy" or a "hype man" is ridiculous and disrespectful.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Console wars, persistent history of similar behaviour
So about that "going all in". When does that start?

Windrunner

Sly
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the failures of Zune/Groove, Windows Store and Windows Phone still fresh in their minds, they were right to go all in on gaming rather than letting yet another digital gold mine go untapped; there's bucket loads of money to be made by platform holders as customers get more and more entrenched in ecosystems.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So about that "going all in". When does that start?

Probably around the same time as increasing their first party studio count from six to fifteen? Or maybe it's in the huge growth at all of the fifteen studios? Or maybe it's the huge investment we've been seeing in Game Pass? Maybe it's the push for xCloud and the tech behind it.

Maybe its one of those things or something different, what do you think?