SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
hankUnn.jpg

Studio: Atlus
Theater: Nintendo 3DS
Showtime: June 4, 2019 (both North America and Europe)
Tickets: $39.99 (Standard Edition), $69.99 (Premium Edition)

[Download size is 21,783 blocks (~2.66 GB), for those going digital]

CeNJKzy.jpg

STORY
A routine trip through Mementos suddenly goes awry for the Phantom Thieves, when a mysterious movie screen transports them to an unfamiliar city teeming with hostile Shadows. Outnumbered and finding many of their abilities useless, they flee into a cinema...where they find themselves locked inside.

In this strange place, they meet three new faces: Nagi, the theater's curator; Hikari, a shy girl whom Nagi looks after; and projector operator Doe, a bizarre Shadow-like being who seems to only be able to communicate with Hikari. The "movies" being shown here are actually strange, twisted labyrinths - and as the Thieves travel from film to film, they find that they're hardly the only people who are being drawn to this place.

Across space and time, the theater unites the Thieves with the Investigation Team, a group of Persona users who are trying to solve a deadly mystery in the quiet rural town of Inaba; and S.E.E.S., students from Gekkoukan High School who are making their way up a colossal tower to unravel the secrets of the Dark Hour, a hidden time after midnight that only a certain few can experience.

Yet even with this legion of characters teamed up, the theater proves itself a formidable challenge. Its movie labyrinths are vast, and its foes are unforgiving. To escape the theater and return to their own times and places, it's going to take everything they've got...

FEATURES

• Create a party from characters across Persona 3, 4, and 5! Up to five characters can fight at once.
    • Unlike in Persona Q, you don't initially get to pick which game's team you start with; the game begins with the P5 crew, then goes to 4 and then 3.
  • Journey through several colossal labyrinths, drawing a map as you go. You can either draw it yourself or have the game automatically do it.
    • You can (and should) also place markers on your map to keep track of important landmarks or areas.
  • Use the unique strengths of your team to exploit enemy weaknesses to survive in battle. Avoid deadly F.O.E.s!
    • Wield powerful Unison Skills against enemies! Unlock them by doing various sidequests, and unleash them to follow up on powerful attacks.
  • Several difficulties are available to suit your play style, including Safety for those who just want to enjoy the ride.
  • DLC: Choose from additional Personas, navigator voices, battle BGM, and some items to give you an edge.

EDITIONS
WDcTDAD.jpg

Persona Q2 comes in two physical editions: the regular Launch Edition [$39.99], which comes with a set of four buttons; and a special Premium Edition [$69.99], which comes with an art book, deck of playing cards, the button set, and a small Koromaru plush. Copies of the latter may be tricky to track down; check this thread for any new information on availability.

SIpvN2H.jpg

(there's a lot!)

Three large teams of characters join forces with a host of still other faces old and new.
Throughout the adventure, they'll meet with each other in surprising ways...

From Persona 5:
THE PHANTOM THIEVES OF HEARTS
Z7Ak6p2.jpg

Battle theme: "Invitation to Freedom", performed by Lyn

• P5 Hero: The embattled yet suave leader of the Phantom Thieves, codenamed "Joker".
  • Morgana: An odd creature found in the first of the Palaces by Joker and Ryuji. A staunch sleep advocate. Don't call him a cat.
  • Ryuji: A hotheaded former track athlete who's known for being a disruptive student at Shujin Academy. Codenamed "Skull".
  • Ann: The quarter-American second year student at Shujin, who models as a side-job. Codenamed "Panther"; Morgana refers to her as "Lady Ann".
  • Yusuke: A peerless (and often penniless) artist from Kosei High School who finds inspiration in many odd places. Codenamed "Fox".
  • Makoto: The often-embattled student council president at Shujin who often feels unable to escape the shadow of her accomplished sister. Codenamed "Queen".
  • Futaba: A master hacker who serves as the Navigator for the Thieves; previously highly reclusive. Codenamed "Oracle".
  • Haru: The wealthy daughter of a prolific Tokyo businessman. Reserved yet eccentric, with the occasional sadistic side. Codenamed "Noir".
  • Akechi: An ace detective; highly admired by all but his fellow Thieves, who suspect he has a darker side. Codenamed "Crow".

From Persona 4:
THE INVESTIGATION TEAM
Z7cMMnP.jpg

Battle Theme: "Remember, We Got Your Back", performed by Shihoko Hirata

• P4 Hero: A student who transferred to a school near Inaba. Shortly discovers the existence of the Midnight Channel before awakening to a Persona of his own.
  • Yosuke: A clumsy student, and the protagonist's first friend in Inaba. Works at the town's department store, Junes. Has some problematic phobias.
  • Chie: Outgoing and a fan of kung-fu movies, she's friends with Yosuke, although his carelessness tends to showcase her short temper. Highly carnivorous.
  • Yukiko: A popular girl who's next in line to inherit her family's business, the Amagi Inn. Prone to sudden fits of laughter from unlikely sources.
  • Kanji: An infamous delinquent in Inaba, though much of his "tough" demeanor stems from insecurities at his hobbies of crocheting and the like.
  • Rise: An idol who later serves as the navigator for the Investiagtion Team. Though famous, she's often at a loss as to who the "real her" is.
  • Teddie: A peculiar Shadow who the Team meets in the television world. Serves as navigator before Rise, armed with a plethora of unBEARably bad puns.
  • Naoto: A female detective in a male-dominated police force, Naoto is a brillant but often embattled sleuth who proves invaulable to the Investigation Team.

From Persona 3:
THE SPECIALIZED EXTRACURRICULAR EXECUTION SQUAD
WzYHMBu.jpg

Battle Theme: "Wait and See" feat. Lotus Juice

• P3 Hero: An orphaned student who transferred to Gekkoukan High School, quickly recruited into S.E.E.S. once the current members are made aware of his special ability to perceive the Dark Hour.
  • Yukari: A cheery student whose insecurities can nevertheless bring out a more caustic side. Has close ties to the Shadow-experimenting Kirijo Group.
  • Junpei: The protagonist's best friend, though he harbors some jealousy of his great skill. A class clown; often nicknamed "Stupei" by Yukari.
  • Akihiko: Third-year student at Gekkoukan, one of the founders of S.E.E.S., and the captain of the school's boxing club. Aloof but perceptive.
  • Mitsuru: The sheltered but brilliant daughter of the Kirijo Group's head. As student council president, she's seen as a motherly figure in S.E.E.S.
  • Fuuka: A timid girl who get trapped in Tartarus when a group of bullies' scheme leaves her trapped in the school overnight. Takes over the role of support from Mitsuru.
  • Aigis: An anti-Shadow android weapon that escaped the Kirijo lab, who quickly bonds with S.E.E.S., and the protagonist in particular.
  • Koromaru: A Shiba Inu who can summon Personas after his former master was killed by a Shadow. Aigis can interpret what he's thinking for the rest of the team.
  • Ken: A young orphan who comes to live in the S.E.E.S. dormitory after he's discovered to perceive the Dark Hour. Wants to be seen as an adult.
  • Shinjiro: A standoffish former member of S.E.E.S. who rejoins the group with a mysterious newfound purpose after Ken's recruitment.

AND EVEN MORE...
wENRGMd.jpg

Battle Theme (P3 Heroine): "Pull the Trigger", performed by Mayumi Fujita & Lotus Juice

NEW CHARACTERS

• Hikari: An extremely shy girl usually found by Nagi's side. Movies appear to be her sole focus.
  • Nagi: The curator of the theater who's also nevertheless trapped inside with the others. Keeps a close eye on Hikari.
  • Doe: A strange Shadow-like creature who operates the theater's projector on an endless loop and who can only communicate with Hikari.

RETURNING CHARACTERS

• P3 Heroine: In what is only her second-ever appearance, it's the female star of Persona 3 Portable! She's from an alternate reality, and unfortunately she enters the Theater alone. She recognizes the rest of the Persona 3 cast, much to their bewilderment (and her sorrow).
  • Caroline & Justine: Twins with opposing personalities from Persona 5's prison-like Velvet Room.
  • Margaret & Marie: Inhabitants of the Velvet Room from Persona 4. Marie enjoys writing poetry (just don't get caught reading it), and is trying to search for clues to her past and learn more about the world.
  • Elizabeth & Theodore: The assistants from Persona 3's Velvet Room, dressed in audacious cinema-style attire. Elizabeth runs the ticket booth, where the player can obtain sidequests; Theodore runs the concession shop, taking over from Nagi after the Persona 3 Heroine joins the team.

VU6a729.jpg

TRAILERS

Returning Heroes

The Phantom Thieves

Story Trailer

PREVIEWS

Kotaku: "Persona Q2 Has Me In An Extremely Fun Feedback Loop"

Preview from NintendoWorldReport

REVIEWS/ACCOLADES

OpenCritic: 82 (Strong)
Metacritic: 83

"Even if you're not huge on dungeon exploration Persona Q2 is a great game. It contains plenty of fanservice and references for fans of the main Persona titles and has a complex and rewarding combat and exploration loop that makes it worth playing even if it's your first Persona game ever."
- Game Revolution

"As a Persona fan, it feels like the ultimate tribute to the last 13 years of the series, with nostalgic music and callbacks to previous events. When I wasn't chuckling over a joke between the cast members, I was reveling in fusing new personas and finally besting a long, punishing boss battle. Persona Q2 is a worthy last hurrah for the 3DS, and helps the system go out on a high note."
- GameInformer

"Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth is one of the best RPGs on the handheld."
- DualShockers

SOUNDTRACK
The music for Persona Q2 was composed by Atsushi Kitajoh (Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth), who's also created several minor tracks for the mainline Persona games.
Check out the Character section for some of the more standout tracks, as well as the:

FREE 3DS THEME!

CI7_Nintendo3DS_Themes_PersonaQ2Theme_CMM_big.jpg

There's a free theme for both North American and European 3DSes, available right now - go grab it!
The music played in the theme is an instrumental arrangement of PQ2's fantastic "Cinematic Tale".

Several batches of official avatars can be found both here and here.
(Special thanks to MexM for pointing these out to me!)

DLC

DLC is available for the game in the forms of additional Personas, navigator voices, battle music, and item sets.
Some DLC will be offered for free for a certain period after launch; check back here for updates.

Personas ($1.99 each):
  • Orpheus Picaro: P3 Hero's Persona, Picaro version.
  • Messiah Picaro: P3 Hero's Persona, Picaro version.
  • Thanatos: P3 Death's Social Link MAX Persona.
  • Thanatos Picaro: P3 Death's Social Link MAX Persona, Picaro version.
  • Izanagi Picaro: P4 Hero's Persona, Picaro version.
  • Magatsu-Izanagi: P4G Adachi's Persona.
  • M. Izanagi Picaro: P4G Adachi's Persona, Picaro version.
  • Kaguya: P4G Marie's Social Link MAX Persona.
  • Kaguya Picaro: P4G Marie's Social Link MAX Persona, Picaro version.
  • Ariadne: P4A Labrys's Persona.
  • Ariadne Picaro: P4A Labrys's Persona, Picaro version.
  • Tsukiyomi: P4AU Sho Minazuki's Persona.
  • Tsukiyomi Picaro: P4AU Sho Minazuki's Persona, Picaro version.
  • Asterius: P4A Shadow Labrys's Persona.
  • Asterius Picaro: P4A Shadow Labrys's Persona, Picaro version.
Navigators ($2.99 each):
  • Elizabeth & Theodore
  • Margaret & Nanako
  • Caroline & Justine
Battle BGM sets ($2.99 each [note: all BGM DLC is free for everyone until July 2, 2019!]):
  • Persona 3 BGM Set. Includes "Mass Destruction" (P3 Original), "Wiping All Out" (P3P Heroine), and "Light the Fire Up in the Night -DARK HOUR-" (PQ, P3 Route).
  • Persona 4 BGM Set. Inlcudes "Reach Out To The Truth" (P4 Original), "Time To Make History" (P4G), and "Light the Fire Up in the Night -MIDNIGHT-" (PQ, P4 Route).
  • Persona 5 BGM Set. Includes "Last Surprise" (P5 Original), "Life Will Change" (P5 Heist Day), and "Will Power" (P5 Awakening).
Accessories ($0.99 each unless noted):
[NOTE: You'll need to get to the third floor of the first dungeon before you can actually obtain any of these.]
  • Accessory: Experience Up - Equip and earn 3x Exp in battle (effective on all party members).
  • Accessory: Money Up - Equip and earn 3x money in battle.
  • Accessory: Encounter Control - Two accessories: one to lower encounter rate to zero, and one to double it.
  • Item: Level Up Set - Incense x3. Raises a character's level to the same level as the highest level character (single character).
  • Item: Gourmet Set - Special recovery items unavailable in normal gameplay. Includes: Hagakure Bowl x 3 HP 50% recovery (ALL), Mega Beef Bowl x 3 HP 100% recovery (row), and Leblanc Curry x 3: SP 50% recovery (ALL).
  • [FREE] Item: Movie Snack Set - Recovery item set, useful when starting out. Includes: Popcorn, Clean Soda, and Gutsy Fries.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Why is this game and its prequel referred to as Persona "Q"?
A: Persona Q and Q2 share many close similarities with the Etrian Odyssey series, which in Japan is known as "Sekaiju no Meikyuu" (世界樹の迷宮, lit. "Labyrinth of the World Tree"). The "Q" comes from the last syllable of "Meikyuu". It's an Etrian Odyssey Persona!

Q: Can I play this without knowing what happens in Persona Q1? Does this spoil that game?
A: Persona Q and Q2 are very self-contained stories; this doesn't spoil a bit of the original Q. Id recommend playing Personas 3, 4, and 5 before this one, though, as this does understandably spoil quite a bit of those; as you may have guessed from the plot, this is quite the fanservicey story.

Q: Why isn't this dubbed in English?
A: This is a 3DS game in 2019. Atlus is famous for lingering on platforms, but even they haven't dubbed any of their 3DS games in well over a year now. The reason comes down to cost: a game with this many characters (as you've no doubt seen above!) would simply not be worth the cost of dubbing a game for a platform that's reached the very end of its software life.

Q: Is this in 3D?
A: It is not, unfortunately. It's a shame, as the first Persona Q made great use of it. Atlus has stopped making their 3DS games 3D for about as long as they've stopped dubbing them.

Q: Is this really the last 3DS game?
A: Seems so - or at the very least, the last significant one (i.e., non-shovelware). As far as DLC goes, the final Shovel Knight expansion is also due out on 3DS sometime later this year, but by and large, however, this is it for the legendary handheld - though it'll still be many more years before I actually finish everything on it. There's a wealth of incredible software for the 3DS, and I hope this thread serves as a tribute to its long life as well.

tumblr_ou6pb20PuF1qjoleso1_1280.gif

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Excited for this but that DLC is utter bollocks, should be included in the base game.

I've finished P5 but am in October of P4G and have never played P3, does this game either spoil the end of Golden or major plot points of 3 or does it more just take the characters and do something fun with them without referring back much?

OrionsNebula

Oct 25, 2017
The last 3DS game. The end of an era!
Really looking forward to giving this game a go. Sounds much improved over the first one, and the first one was very good

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excited for this but that DLC is utter bollocks, should be included in the base game.

I've finished P5 but am in October of P4G and have never played P3, does this game either spoil the end of Golden or major plot points of 3 or does it more just take the characters and do something fun with them without referring back much?

PQ2, like PQ1, kind of takes place in a Time Warp where all of the characters are pulled in from the middle-ish of their own games, so they aren't aware of any of the major spoilers for their own games. It should be fine.

(Although, I might recommend not looking too closely at the OP if you're playing P4 right now.)

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I finished this over the weekend (2 weeks early from Amazon) so I'd be glad to help answer questions or give tips to people.

I played on Normal mode and the hardest was easily the first dungeon / boss. The game gets exponentially easier as you progress and get all the characters to build your team.

Oct 29, 2017
PQ2, like PQ1, kind of takes place in a Time Warp where all of the characters are pulled in from the middle-ish of their own games, so they aren't aware of any of the major spoilers for their own games. It should be fine.

(Although, I might recommend not looking too closely at the OP if you're playing P4 right now.)
Combed the OP but just be lucky as I didn't see any P4 spoilers so thanks for the heads up on that and the game, appreciate it.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd love to play this, but I don't think I can go back to the 3DS.

I wonder if the physical version will become rare. I can't imagine they're printing many of these.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Just got an email saying my copy has now been dispatched. This will likely be my last brand new 3DS game, so it's sort of the end of an era for me!

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I have the collectors edition on pre-order, trying to decide if I should keep it or just get the standard.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished this over the weekend (2 weeks early from Amazon) so I'd be glad to help answer questions or give tips to people.

I played on Normal mode and the hardest was easily the first dungeon / boss. The game gets exponentially easier as you progress and get all the characters to build your team.
Are ailments OP? Is the game as long as the 1st one? PQ took me 75h on risky difficulty.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Are ailments OP? Is the game as long as the 1st one? PQ took me 75h on risky difficulty.

Yes I think they are still very good, along with binds. Later on I made it a point to try and stick on Poison on FOE/Bosses. Naoto got nerfed hard and Insta-kill spells seemed to have been hit as well.

It took me about 60 hours on Normal. However I did leave my device on (not closed) at times so let's say about 50 hours. I took my time and did -everything- short of the ultimate boss(es).

I used this team when I unlocked all characters, for people interested in a quick and easy setup team:

Joker / Aigis / Yu
Akechi / P3Hero

You aren't ever forced to use certain characters except for a few side missions, but there are items you can use to level them up to your current level.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

It sounds to me like the standard "Atlus bullshit DLC", aka there's one where you can get a ton of money, one for a ton of Personas, one for a ton of experience, some cosmetics one, and either that's it or maybe there's some real DLC (like there was in the case of SMTIV and SMTIV Apocalypse).

TranseKuja

Mar 28, 2019
I've only played Persona 3 FES but I love the characters so much I really want to play this game, will I get spoiled on 4 or 5? (don't really care about 4, but I'm getting P5R day one)

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there are spoilers for P4 but depending how you look at it there is a P5 spoiler in this game

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Buying it day 1 because there's already reports of no stock going around outside of preorders.

Plus I enjoyed Q a lot. Despite the 4th stratum being the worst thing ever. Now I need to beat EO5 before I move on to this
(and shelf EOX forever)

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Nice OT! Still need to play the first one. Will jump on this later in the year. Getting reviewed very well!

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm maybe I should keep my Collector's AND the standard version if it's going to be that limited!

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Likely the last 3DS game I'll every buy, hell I had to buy a new charger for it since I lost mine.

Got the LE edition for that sweet sweet Koromaru plush.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
God, my 3DS backlog is fairly large as is, but I definitely want to play this.

I just need to beat Persona Q first. (And EO5 (And EO Nexus (And EOU2 (And Strange Journey (And AA6 (And VLR))))))

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Let me know when it comes out on something other than the 3DS. I cannot dig my 3DS out any more...the resolution is just unbearable after Switch.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Is Shinji any good? I want to use him but I feel like based on his special ability there are just better characters for the spot he would take

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Is Shinji any good? I want to use him but I feel like based on his special ability there are just better characters for the spot he would take

Personally I don't think Shinjiro ranks very high. The problem with this game is that there's so many characters to choose from that some of them simply falter compared to others.

However if you're willing to put in the time you can make any character a nasty beast. You can give them a sub-Persona that fills in some gaps, and you can also transfer skills to them via Sacrifice. Using a "Wild Card" (a farmable rare item) you can transfer moves over to anyone's "Main" persona so you could make disgusting powerhouses if you so desired.

But you're better off just using someone else in my opinion.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Does your team set-up determine what the battle theme is or do you choose it in a menu? In Q it was determined by which MC you went with but that is not in this game right?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Does your team set-up determine what the battle theme is or do you choose it in a menu? In Q it was determined by which MC you went with but that is not in this game right?

You start the game with P5 crew, so you only get P5 battle music. As you unlock the other teams you unlock their respective battle music. There is an option where you can randomize the battle music, or make it -only- a certain battle music. I just left it random.