• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"We bought that player for X million"
"We made some silly decisions in that match"
"We will beat that team no bother"

Does anybody else get irrationally annoyed by this? It's really harmless and not a big deal but I just hate it. "we we we" is all I hear when listening to a group discuss it.

You are not in the team. You didn't do anything. You didn't sign up, you don't pay anything to "be a member of the club", you have no input.

And it only happens in sports for some reason.
Welcome to why politics is hell.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Somewhat related, but I also find it pathetic and it annoys me when couples start referring to themselves (the individual) as "we" all the time. As if that person has lost all their personal identity and any time they talk about something they are going to do or deciding, it involves their SO.

It's annoying for sports teams, too.

"Pathetic"

I swear some of y'all get worked up by the strangest things.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, there's this neat subjective pronoun "they" that exists in addition to "we" for exactly these types of situations.
Life Pro Tip! You don't actually need to use full descriptions in every sentence you speak. Just say it once and then everyone will know what you're talking about.

How about a pro tip for yourself: drop the unnecessary snark.

Besides, "they" would be the shorthand used to refer to the opposition in this scenario, so your suggestion doesn't work.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always found it more obnoxious that people literally get hung up because someone used we to simply mean "the team I root for" when they know damn well what they mean in the first pace.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what stupidity is this?
imagine being a grown adult and still having a deep emotional attachment to a college team that you never played for in a state you probably only lived in for four years. They can't even dunk in the NCAA lmao

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
imagine being a grown adult and still having a deep emotional attachment to a college team that you never played for in a state you probably only lived in for four years. They can't even dunk in the NCAA lmao

It's almost like different people have a connection with different things how fucking shocking. A god damn nerd on a new video game forum trying to act all high and mighty, it's laughable.

T'Challa Shakur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You become so invested in a team that when they succeed you feel genuine joy for them. The players may be getting paid but there is an element where the adrenaline introduced by the crowd going berserk can make the difference in a game.

Im a Raptors fan. Believe me. The hurt LeBron James has inflicted on this franchise hurt me so much that I legit felt the frustration in DeMar when he went at Clarkson's head.

If im going to Ride with you when you win and Die with you when you fail.

You best believe Im doing my best Venom impersonation and saying WE when talking about the team I root for.

Im guessing you're not a big sports guy.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
"we" has many different uses. nobody is confused about whether or not they are on the team.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like different people have a connection with different things how fucking shocking. A god damn nerd on a new video game forum trying to act all high and mighty, it's laughable.
man u college sports dudes sure do get super duper upset about this topic haha. i didn't realize the place i was posting (which i dunno if u noticed but it is also the place you are posting) disqualified me from having an opinion on the topic

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
I follow several teams in different sports but would never say "we". Would just feel awkward for me, personally. But maybe I'm not big enough of a fan.
If it's about investment, I would probably say "we" about companies I own shares in sooner than the sports teams I'm a fan of.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I don't agree. If you really support the team, saying "they" sounds a bit cold and detached.
One could argue that supporting a team is a form of tribalism, but it's extremely inclusive.
You just pick a team to support and you automatically become part of a group. The "we" is a non-brainer for me.

This is patronising and reductive. You don't tell people who have spent so much time and money on their team that they aren't shit.
Really, this type of thread where people whine about other people having a good time is a bit pathetic.
+1

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Somebody's jealous they don't have a sports team they love.

090217_mlb_sd_lad_aybar_fan_med.gif

Edit- that being said although I'm ok with the word "we" being used... I use it as well.... but

I MAIN ISSUE IN LIFE IS BLIND LOYALTY.

be it in Sports...Politics..... Friends.....and even in Family.

Last edited:

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not like there is any confusion as to whether or not you actually play for the team when you say it. So I don't see the issue.

When you are invested in a sports team it definitely feels like a 'we'.

Illest1

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've noticed that those people who get worked up over this non-issue are usually not very knowledgeable about sports in general.

Anyway, it's a fan thing to say "we" as you have pledged allegiance to a team and have invested time, money, and emotion, on said team. It's an us or them mentality.

Bloodshed

Oct 29, 2017
I've been a NY Jets fan my whole life, I feel like 32 years of suffering at least gives me a free pass to say "we"

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017

To follow up on my previous post and some of the others in this thread, there are times when the fans are absolutely a part of a teams success. This is one of my favorite sports moments of all time and I'm not a fan of either team.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling throughout the thread, antagonizing other users.
Only thing funny here are your incredibly idiotic comments, clown.
LMAO why are you so riled up by this? Guess I struck a nerve with those still vicariously living out their early 20s through college sports hahaha

EDIT
35938.jpg

Oh I get it now haha. Bro if you still incorporate your college teams into your personality so much that when someone voices their opinion that college sports sux you feel personally insulted and start lashing out u should probably reevaluate some of ur priorities

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO why are you so riled up by this? Guess I struck a nerve with those still vicariously living out their early 20s through college sports hahaha

EDIT
35938.jpg

Oh I get it now haha. Bro if you still incorporate your college teams into your personality so much that when someone voices their opinion that college sports sux you feel personally insulted and start lashing out u should probably reevaluate some of ur priorities

What's your problem dude? You having a bad day?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

EDIT
35938.jpg

I'm not riled up. Your comment about college basketball players not being able to dunk is just stupid and you sound like you're fucking 12. Stop embarrassing yourself.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not riled up. Your comment about college basketball players not being able to dunk is just stupid and you sound like you're fucking 12. Stop embarrassing yourself.
see above post. I just think NCAA hoops are incredibly dull compared to the NBA. Different strokes I guess

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels weird that anyone would get annoyed by this.

It's not even wholly irrational. If you're part of the fanbase, you're part of what keeps the team going. Niggas know they ain't on the team or part of the organization, but if they're passionate about their chosen team, they probably really identify with them. That shit is cultural.

Y'all pick the weirdest shit to get annoyed by lol

If you are from that city / place its named for, then WE is fine. If the US Army won a battle, anyone in the US could say "We Won The Battle", so if the Pawtucket Oysters win a game, and you either were born in Pawtucket, or became a settled in resident of Pawtucket, We is OK.

NOW, there is a guy I work with, we are in NJ, who says "WE" for the Seahawks, and the Cavaliers. That is not right. If you never went to Notre Dame, you can't say "WE" just because you are Irish / Catholic, and if you live outside of Texas, the Cowboys are not a "WE".

Edit - I rarely use "WE", even as a Philly native, I still the THE EAGLES won the superbowl, or THE SIXERS have a really good 10 years ahead of them. But I'm also not a 'superfan'

Like, this isn't how sports works lmfao you don't get to police people's team allegiances. If you gonna ride with a team during their highs and lows to the point they're a part of your identity, you gotdamn right it's "WE".

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
i'm the exact opposite... if someone supports a team and refers to them as 'they', they're corrected immediately on the spot (or i call them a plastic) a term used in the uk)

i support the mighty manchester united football club... and we are the best team in the whole world! COME ON UTD!!!

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why this bothers people so much. It's just convenient short hand when talking about the team you root for.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I'm not annoyed by that. I think it's dumb, but it doesn't bother me. Let people enjoy their hobbies however they want, I say.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
It's easier for people to part with their money if they think they are part of the 'family'. Really great marketing that helps billionaires rake in even more money.

pxleyes

Oct 25, 2017
I mean 'can' and 'do' are two different things. The whole 'appeal' of college hoops according to fans of it is often 'the fundamentals' aka 'boring basketball'
Do you have any clue about any of the topics you talk about? College basketball isn't about the fundamentals. Most college sports are about the parity of the teams.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017

and what if you went to said school? or grew up in a college town? or got into the fandom because of family?

is that somehow invalid?

Anyway from your posts it seems like you have no clue what you are talking about.

And to the OP, being annoyed about this is just stupid.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sport team fandom in general is a concept that is completely lost to me, so when I hear "we" I just lol.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I do it sometimes but I try not to. I support two teams, Chicago Bulls and Manchester United. I'm live in Chicago so the Bulls makes more sense, but I'm more passionate in my United support. I just always have been since I can remember.
I just subconsciously think 'we' but I try not to say it. I don't think it's wrong I just don't want to deal with people like OP XD

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read about my team, the players, the finances, the history; watch their games, listen to analysis, rewatch highlights and I do this for decades.

So, yeah, it's a "we" situation.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I do it sometimes but I try not to. I support two teams, Chicago Bulls and Manchester United. I'm live in Chicago so the Bulls makes more sense, but I'm more passionate in my United support. I just always have been since I can remember.
I just subconsciously think 'we' but I try not to say it. I don't think it's wrong I just don't want to deal with people like OP XD

You won't encounter many people like OP in real life and if you do you should remind them they're being ridiculous.

Grenouille

Nov 26, 2017
When there is such a drastic difference in a team's quality when playing at home/away, like in Roma's case in the Champion's League recently, I guess fans can claim victory.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
"We bought that player for X million"
"We made some silly decisions in that match"
"We will beat that team no bother"

Does anybody else get irrationally annoyed by this? It's really harmless and not a big deal but I just hate it. "we we we" is all I hear when listening to a group discuss it.

You are not in the team. You didn't do anything. You didn't sign up, you don't pay anything to "be a member of the club", you have no input.

And it only happens in sports for some reason.
I've had a season ticket at my club for 18 years, since I was 6 years old. This club has been a big part of my life and through it I got to know many great people from all places in society. I've been there at the high points and the low points, when we won the title and got promoted to when we were marching through the streets in protest against mismanagement.

I consider myself as much a part of the team than any player on it, if not more. After all the players are temporary. The staff is temporary. The board is temporary. The only thing that remains forever part of a club is its legacy and its fanbase.