MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
www.pcgamer.com

The biggest disappointments of not-E3

The games that didn't quite do it for us.

Bethesda has been so vague when it comes to Starfield that I had no expectations for its reveal at not-E3 this year, and yet it still somehow managed to be a massively disappointing showcase. At least we actually know what Starfield is now: it's ugly No Man's Sky.

With every single revelation, it just got closer and closer to Hello Games' big cosmic sandbox, but with an aesthetic that's impenetrably dull and gloomy. You can craft! You can build! You can explore! Yes, it is indeed a modern videogame. One of the first things our unknown space explorer does when they land on one of Starfield's Mass Effect-looking worlds is laser off some resources from a rock. Then it's time for an unconvincing shootout. After keeping it under wraps for so long, I'd expected at least one surprise—but nope.

Undoubtedly the highlight of the whole presentation was Todd Howard announcing that you can fly your spaceship as if it was this entirely unexpected feature. In a game called Starfield. Where you explore alien worlds. With a spaceship. Similarly, the revelation that there's 1,000 planets to explore elicited a chuckle. It's the new "you can climb that mountain". Then we got a taste of these worlds and the wonders they contain: a space port, an ice planet, a desert planet, a barren planet, another barren planet. The thrills never end.

I'm absolutely in the mood for another Bethesda RPG, but this generic-looking crafty space sim is doing nothing for me.

Wes Fenlon, Senior Editor: I'm right there with you, Fraser. I wouldn't be so negative about the number of planets(opens in new tab) if Starfield didn't just look so dang bland.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
While PC Gamer as usual does dumb hyperbolic titles and opinions.. i can see the demonstrated level looking 'barren and unexciting' but iam sure there are other biomes that look much better. Since you're gonna visit 1000 planets, a lot of them will be barren, so yeah...

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It's still a bethesda rpg, not a space sim.

I was told it was though. Among other things.

While PC Gamer as usual does dumb hyperbolic titles and opinions.. i can see the demonstrated level looking 'barren and unexciting' but iam sure there are other biomes that look much better. Since you're gonna visit 1000 planets, a lot of them will be barren, so yeah...

I'll be getting the game for sure (starving here), but that 1000 figure is pretty irksome. But since you can skip that for the most part, what actually bothers me the most is the UI. It's so goddamn bland, both the HUD and inventory screens as though they are just placeholders, even though they likely aren't. Thank god for modders though, because that will be the first thing I change.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
every single discussion around this game devolves into the most insufferable and bad faith shit

AceAlli

Oct 27, 2017
Read that article and feel like I could've written it myself with how similarly I feel about the showcase overall.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it's ugly – it's a Bethesda RPG. Their strenghts are elsewhere, and the jury's still out on those.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
The footage -aside from npc interactions which weren't that impressive- looked like older builds on nms. Sad but true. We expected more.

Oct 25, 2017
The entire industry switching on Bethesda has been a sight to behold after hailing them as one of the greats for decades

Dec 2, 2017
Remember when no man's sky was being classified one of the biggest gaming failures of its time, if not all time? Good times.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
even as someone who has serious reservations about the game, this is maybe the most obvious clickbait I've ever seen

like yeah, if you take out the whole "the core of the game is still functionally Fallout In Space, with all that entails", then maybe? but also, you can't do that

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yes thats what it is, oh shit they figured it out, I wonder if they needed the twitter console warriors to help them, with the combined brain power and eyes to see a spaceship in a space game we now finally know that Starfield is just ugly no mans sky.

We can now confirm its not Skyrim plus guns which is fallout, or skyrim plus space, or breath of the wild cross plus 30 other things, or the space game but dark souls.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed my time with No Man's Sky, I do hope this leads to more people checking that out.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Indepoendetly of the article, I really really hope the scan and mine mechanic is minimal. Starting your showcase with that shit is quite a choice IMO

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
This garbage was better when it was self-contained as a spinoff discussion in the thread about IGN's garbage lol.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda an amateurish take honestly. I expect more from PC Gamer.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I'll be getting the game for sure (starving here), but that 1000 figure is pretty irksome. But since you can skip that for the most part, what actually bothers me the most is the UI. It's so goddamn bland, both the HUD and inventory screens as though they are just placeholders, even though they likely aren't. Thank god for modders though, because that will be the first thing I change.
Yeah same but its just that i was kinda expecting to be 'WOW'd like when Skyrim was first revealed. The environment, the music looked beautiful and cool!

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for mods on gaming sites.
giphy.gif

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I mean... it wasn't a very exciting preview of the game. It reminded me of No Man Sky but with a story. If the story is going to be good or not is yet to be seen.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Its easy to expect whats gonna happen though. You'll have people give there extreme takes while it'll have some balanced takes as well.

Anything visual is gonna draw all sorts of responses lmao.

Yeah it's not gonna be different than the IGN one

I think calling it ugly is a bit rude though. I think the environments and alien creatures look good. Just a different aesthetic than NMS.

mojo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wouldn't have written an article saying it but I appreciate it the bluntness

keyrodi

Feb 19, 2018
The past two years have really coated a lot of people's brains with cynicism. I can't really blame them tbh.

I get being doubtful of Starfield's quality. Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 did Bethesda no favors, to say the absolute least, and the presentation wasn't the showstopper a lot of folks were expecting.

Yet I'm still a tad hopeful that this title will be an engrossing experience. No Man's Sky isn't an apt comparison since it's not a story-driven RPG. Starfield's procedurally-generated content, outposting, and farming is a small part of the equation here. The characters, the main and mini narratives, the gameplay loops, that's what I'm looking forward to experiencing here.

If Bethesda drops the ball again, oh well, but I'd rather be optimistic about the game. I think they know they have a lot on the line here.