Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

Correct. Direct to streaming is not even being discussed. We are still 100% behind the theatrical experience for #WW84 and supporting our beloved theater business.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get people still talking with their chest when COVID is still undefeated.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Kinda reminds me of musicians hanging on to CDs but good luck releasing it during covid

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These people are so boneheaded.

THE MONEY IS GONE. THE THEATERS AREN'T OPENING. ACCEPT THE LOSSES AND MOVE ON.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I expect that to happen with a lot of movies, unless more companies pull a Disney and just dump them for free.

These people are so boneheaded.

THE MONEY IS GONE. THE THEATERS AREN'T OPENING. ACCEPT THE LOSSES AND MOVE ON.
They will reopen at one point however, and it is not like the movies are back to normal filming again.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Here's one way to support those theater chains: work with them to create streaming services that work just like theaters themselves. Make it $15, watch once, then it disappears. Or continue with the digital rental model that already exists. Either way, the idea that we HAVE to see it on a big screen before watching at home is becoming increasingly archaic.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Oh and streaming had to be discussed, it would be a big boon to HBO Max. They might not have involved her

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Most countries are ramping up to a new disastrous wave of infections cause of people relaxing on their carefulness. Can't say I have a lick of empathy for the cinema/move business that want people to make it worse just to get money.
Start dealing with how to deliver your movies in this pandemic or die I prefer the latter cause the cinema has sucked for me as long as I can remember.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They will reopen at one point however, and it is not like the movies are back to normal filming again.
We're looking at best another year before theaters re-open, and maybe 2 years before people feel comfortable enough going to them. That's a long time to try to keep people interested in this stuff.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I mean surely warner isn't dumb enough to release another movie to cinemas only during the pandemic, right?

Either have to do both or delay to 2022

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
We're looking at best another year before theaters re-open, and maybe 2 years before people feel comfortable enough going to them. That's a long time to try to keep people interested in this stuff.
Tenet made $300 million in the middle of the pandemic with cinemas at half capacity or less. People feeling comfortable will return a lot faster. They are already rushing back to football stadions. The movie will be postponed to 2021 for sure, but seeing Disney giving up on their Mulan experiment with Soul says a lot.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
that she knows of. im sure someone at the tippy top is like, well we gotta try something eventually.

May 10, 2018
I expected as much for now. Too much money on the table to go the direct streaming route.

Same reason why Disney pushed Black Widow back to May.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you're going to release WW84 for home viewing, release it on VHS!
wonderwoman-vhs3.jpg

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I get not going digital. But, they just need to say they are shelving their movies for a year. This isn't coming out in two months, and these constant walk backs are just stupid.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I'll catch it after it bombs at the theater and hits streaming. Not going to a theater so see a movie for a long, long time. If ever. And I especially wont go when people have this attitude.

Jul 10, 2020
So... there going to release the movie during Christmas, where second wave infections will be running riot possibly along with flu season, just days/weeks after Regal announced they will shutting more theaters.

It's nice to want things.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Crazy that this movie was originally scheduled for a December 2019 release. WB delayed it to June 2020 so more people could see it and it instead placed them in the center of this pandemic mess.

The problem at this point is that basically every movie seems to be getting delayed to the same time frame (April/May). So you've got Bond, Fast 9, Black Widow, Godzilla, Quiet Place II, probably WW84, etc. Assuming those release dates actually stick, these movies are going to cannibalize each other and underperform.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
This is a movie I'd pay $40 to stream to support a woman director. But no way I'm going to a theater for a few years.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Tenet made $300 million in the middle of the pandemic with cinemas at half capacity or less. People feeling comfortable will return a lot faster. They are already rushing back to football stadions. The movie will be postponed to 2021 for sure, but seeing Disney giving up on their Mulan experiment with Soul says a lot.

Tenet has only made $41.5 million in the US. It still hasn't made back its production budget let alone any marketing costs.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Tenet has only made $41.5 million in the US. It still hasn't made back its production budget let alone any marketing costs.
It also has no competition for a loooong time. Plus they can rerelease it when theaters get back to somewhat normal. I don't think Tenet releasing when it did was a bad idea, it at least have the movie theaters that are open something to show.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Here's one way to support those theater chains: work with them to create streaming services that work just like theaters themselves. Make it $15, watch once, then it disappears. Or continue with the digital rental model that already exists. Either way, the idea that we HAVE to see it on a big screen before watching at home is becoming increasingly archaic.

thats actually a good idea, surprised they haven't attempted this yet

I imagine it's due to lack of concession sales though

Feb 4, 2018
Who's going to see this movie? The trailer they attached to Tenet was incredibly mediocre and came off as generic.

Kristen Wiig as the villain? Pass.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
How does she know what's not being discussed? The discussions might not involve her, WB has no obligation to include her.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
same thing with all other blockbusters so is this even news? tenet tried and failed, they wont release it this year though, it will be delayed

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the loss of the theater business would be cultural vandalism of the most shameful kind imaginable. i fully support delaying these films for as long as safety demands. it wasn't unheard of for studios to sit on completed films for a few years in the past, and that may have to be the norm for a while until things are safe again. but i will do everything I can to support the cinemas as soon as it's safe to do so again. i don't ever want a VOD only film industry

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the "I'm not going back to a theater for YEARS" replies. Why not just...go when you have a vaccine?

Kinda reminds me of musicians hanging on to CDs but good luck releasing it during covid
They are nothing alike lol. Also physical media for music, specifically vinyl, has made a huge resurgence the last several years!

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
same thing with all other blockbusters so is this even news? tenet tried and failed, they wont release it this year though, it will be delayed

Exactly, if a big budget blockbuster hasn't made its money back what makes these movies think they can..

And some of the kids movies did well releasing on streaming to