Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
The company is in talks to bring Palworld to more platforms, beyond Steam and Game Pass, and it'd be open to consider offers for partnership or acquisition, Mizobe said. It has not, however, engaged in acquisition talks with Microsoft.

"We are and will remain a small studio," he said. "I want to make multiple small games. Big-budget triple-A games are not for us."

Mizobe, who is chief executive officer and owns the entire company, sees small studios as the biggest pioneers in game design.

Palworld cost less than ¥1 billion ($6.7 million) to make and has returned tens of billions of yen in profit, an amount that is "too big for a studio with our size to handle," Mizobe said. The company doesn't plan a spending spree on more staff or fancier offices, said the CEO, who'd previously been a tech engineer at JPMorgan. Mizobe doesn't plan to offer shares in Pocketpair on publicly traded markets.

The CEO isn't confident that Pocketpair can create another game as wildly popular as Palworld, which had more than 2 million people simultaneously playing at one point, rivaling the biggest and best titles on PC. But he's sure about the winning recipe for games today.

"Games are most fun when playing with friends," Mizobe said. "A game without a multiplayer mode just doesn't feel right in the era we live today."

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The game with generic store bought assets, that might have used IA and/or stolen the designs of it's monsters and has lots of mechanics close to the last game by the same dev was super cheap ?

I am shocked

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
I mean they keep saying the right thing and seem very humble. Happy for them.

Just goes to show you don't need crazy budgeted games to be a runaway success.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Hire artists you dummy.

Like, I get the whole nice aspect of staying small and svelte, especially when you've been working in doujin circles for the better part of your gaming career, but you can't keep making conept games with 95% of your assets taken from engine stores and expect to be successful. He even acknowledges that Palworld is a bit of a fluke but man...to go through all that and have the attitude of, "well...we're not gonna hire up because it worked" when you were telling people 3 months ago that you had a bankruptcy death device baked into your development plan is...silly.

Jul 7, 2021
That's the dream for an indie studio, right? Hit it big like this. Congrats to them, and I do hope they keep workign on smaller games, and beefing up Palworld some more.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
Glad to see the CEO realistic about the replicatability of Palworld success.

Congrats to the team, hopefully they all got some nice bonuses and some rest before they start on the next phase of Palworld! Definitiely the funniest online discourse around games in 2024.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Games are most fun when playing with friends," Mizobe said. "A game without a multiplayer mode just doesn't feel right in the era we live today."

I disagree with this on a very deep level. At least for my personal tastes. I reckon I'm in the minority.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing a team with leadership actually trying to be realistic about longer-term growth vs. sudden success is refreshing. Not over-expanding beyond their existing setup out of a practical awareness that subsequent projects aren't guaranteed hits like Palworld is more wisdom than you often see in this industry. I recall Hello Games had a similar approach/strategy.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017

I disagree with this on a very deep level. At least for my personal tastes. I reckon I'm in the minority.
I agree with you, I only play single player games with the exception of FFXIV which I only play for the story and unsub when I'm caught up.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017

Aye, Unicorn Overlord is one instance, or the Yakuza/Like A Dragon games, they don't need multiplayer either. Sjeez...

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
So they plan to keep doing what they're doing, interesting. Was wondering if they were going to just drop everything and focus on Palworld development and beef it up into a sort of Fornite-lite. But that's probably too exhaustive and counterproductive in the end of the day.

*lends axe*

I love playing with friends too, but the preciousness of a great single-player campaign always reigns supreme in this box o' tissue's heart! ^^'

BOTH coexisting is great.

But great original, story driven single-player games were on the decline for a while, especially those that the new generation can claim as their own.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a team with leadership actually trying to be realistic about longer-term growth vs. sudden success is refreshing. Not over-expanding beyond their existing setup out of a practical awareness that subsequent projects aren't guaranteed hits like Palworld is more wisdom than you often see in this industry. I recall Hello Games had a similar approach/strategy.

Agreed.

Reminds me of that Tweet they send out about the cadence of their updates and how it was okay to enjoy other titles while people wait for Palworld content drops. It was super-refreshing in tone and setup realistic expectations for the fans while at the same time protecting the dev team from crunch & burnout.

Great stuff.

Embiid

Banned
Feb 20, 2021
This guy is the most candid and realistic gaming CEO ever, I love em. Just a humble ass dude with real world expectations

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Smart on them to hold off on growing. Its better to see how Palworld shakes out in a few years, and what will be the realistic cash flow coming in.

I get the feeling though. You want to share the experience. Even with movies, its easier to watch them with other people than playing a singleplayer game with someone else on the room, or streaming online.

I like SP games better myself, but because I play games alone.

Nov 19, 2019
Our secret sauce?

b99538ad2931997244cf5007f90d6e47257aaa72.jpg

Also I think being humble and down to earth is your only realistic option when your game is as transparently trend-chasing as this. You can't really pull off some romantic account of how it was a passion you had since you were in diapers, or how someone on the team was a visionary who wouldn't take no for an answer.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Great to see them being super realistic about their expectations and more than likely smartly reinvesting their newfound wealth into titles that offer a similar formula.

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting and I kinda like that they're not trying to become a triple A studio. They can basically pursue whatever project they want right now and they appear to be doing what they want to do, so I have a hard time finding an issue with that.

I also find small indie games to be often the best experiences in gaming. So more of that? Yes please.

Nov 7, 2017
Our secret sauce?

Also I think being humble and down to earth is your only realistic option when your game is as transparently trend-chasing as this. You can't really pull off some romantic account of how it was a passion you had since you were in diapers, or how someone on the team was a visionary who wouldn't take no for an answer.

c'mon bro, people have been asking for a open world pokemon game for who knows how long

this is the first game that scratched that itch for a lot of people, you don't need to be condescending

they had a good idea, executed it well and are now being rewarded

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Our secret sauce?

I'm trying to understand what point this post is trying to make, but I see none.

Nov 19, 2019
c'mon bro, people have been asking for a open world pokemon game for who knows how long

this is the first game that scratched that itch for a lot of people, you don't need to be condescending

I agree entirely with your post. I'm commenting on the "oh he's just so down to earth and real" stuff. He has to be. There's not really anything else TO say, outside of "being real", from his perspective.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, it makes sense for the game stealing designs to not cost much to make.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Our secret sauce?

Pretty much and I think the comment in the OP about not being able to replicate Palworld's success carries the weight. There was not a distinct vision there and they lucked into a very successful venture. Prior comments from the owner pretty much confirms their process; which hey, if it ends up working it ends up working. They've got fat stacks to speak to that now. But there is definitely going to be a struggle there to create a long term platform out of that now that the player support has gone from hot, to tepid to fairly cool.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Eh, if it works out like it did in Palworld, where you can easily play the game solo and have a good experience, I'm fine with this. Multiplayer if you want it/solo if you don't I think is a fine model as long as the studio can sustain it.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018

Lol this is nothing similar to a Open World Pokemon

The only thing is the ripoff designs

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope they optimize their current platforms and get closer to feature parity before throwing it to more platforms.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
The game lost almost 95% of their playerbase in 2 months thats terrible worth of mouth, it seems smart cashing out, and dont wanting to become too big because at some point it will cost you more in updating a game that its not longer popular that simply make another game

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
The game lost almost 95% of their playerbase in 2 months thats terrible worth of mouth, it seems smart cashing out, and dont wanting to become too big because at some point it will cost you more in updating a game that its not longer popular that simply make another game
The game still has roughly around 100k+ players on Steam daily . It's doing just fine still.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America

I've never played Craftopia or their other works so can only speak on what others' experience has been, but supposedly they'd gotten flak for jumping from game to game in the past. Dunno how valid or not said claims are, but I'd hoped even if they were that Palworld would not suffer from those problems. Taking care of your early access game is how you build that community after all.

In any case, time shall tell.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
The game still has roughly around 100k+ players on Steam daily . It's doing just fine still.
The thing is that the game is still losing players and not stabilizing at all, the game its pretty cheap so losing that many players is worrisome becuase the game has no other form of monetization, so why expand the development of a game that no longer bring the bucks.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
The thing is that the game is still losing players and not stabilizing at all, the game its pretty cheap so losing that many players is worrisome becuase the game has no other form of monetization, so why expand the development of a game that no longer bring the bucks.
It's not a game where there is grind for more than 40 hours, like you catch all the pals and that's it, it's not like it has pvp, I don't understand why are you saying selling 25mil copies is bad

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I think they made way more than enough to not have to really worry about expanding since they are also not scaling up to be AAA or anything. 25mil+ copies has them set for a long while.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021

This, it definitely peaks at 100K+ (on the low end) but it's far more frequent seeing it dip well below 100k. Like, right now they're at 80K+, give it several more hours and it's likely to dip back to what has been the norm the past week or two with low 40k - high 70k as the range.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played Craftopia or their other works so can only speak on what others' experience has been, but supposedly they'd gotten flak for jumping from game to game in the past. Dunno how valid or not said claims are, but I'd hoped even if they were that Palworld would not suffer from those problems. Taking care of your early access game is how you build that community after all.

In any case, time shall tell.
They do thay becuase the development team is pretty small and very amateur, the owner probably doesnt see the point in supporting games long term.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
Steam charts continue to ruin game discussion lol. Palworld is consistently in the top 10 most played games on steam, heres why thats bad news for Palworld.

cw_sasuke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game runs and looks terrible on Series S...hope they fix or optimize the Xbox version before they think about more ports.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
It needs to get through early access/ game preview first. Polish it up good, add some content, stabilize the community and then bring it to other platforms. Of course if the server costs are going to bankrupt you then maybe it has to be sold out sooner...