.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Coronavirus masks that France ordered from China were bought at the last minute by the United States as they waited to be loaded onto cargo planes, French officials have said.

"Americans pay three or four times the amount we pay, and in cash," said Jean Rottner, head of France's eastern region, one of the areas worst affected by the coronavirus outbreak, according to reports by France Info.

On Thursday, a planeload of Chinese-made face masks were bought up right on the tarmac just as the much needed protective gear was about to set off for France.

"We're working around the clock to ensure these masks arrive," says Rottner, blaming unfair competition for delays.

The United States, which now has the highest number of known cases of coronavirus in the world, is trying to procure any masks available, disrupting deliveries to other nations, another report by French daily Liberation indicated.

The east of France nonetheless received 2 million masks from China on Wednesday, to the delight of its president.
"I was very happy to see that airplane arriving in our region last night," Rottner said.

France has ordered more than one billion face masks, a quarter from China, as it battles the pandemic and currently has less than three weeks worth of supplies.

This is fucking disgraceful and sad.

Radio Canada is also reporting the same occurred to a shipment destined for Montreal.

This is no way to treat your closest historical ally, and another close one in France from overseas.

www.rfi.fr

Face masks from China intended for France 'hijacked' by US at the last minute

Coronavirus masks that France ordered from China were bought at the last minute by the United States as they waited to be loaded onto cargo planes, French officials have said.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Another apology tour when Trump is out of office, similar to Obama and GWB. Why does the GOP suck so much at foreign policy?

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely disgusting but expected from this thoroughly corrupt US administration.

Apparently similar stuff happened to a shipment of masks to Brazil (with the added detail of Bolsonaro's dumb son berating China publicly beforehand).

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
US isn't our ally.

Even in better times under Obama they'd try and take advantage here and there. Just look at the number of times we were sued under NAFTA, softwood lumber dispute etc.

Trump has just shed all pretenses.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
On the tarmac to be loaded and delivered somewhere else a last minute 3 to 4 times more cash offer.

yep, sounds like Trump.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Degenerate late stage capitalist gonna degenerate late stage capitalist. Fuck American government. I know Americans are all about that big dick energy with their myriad nukes and large military industrial complex but I fucking hope that there are consequences for this degeneracy.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
If this is true its really embarrassing - not surprising though. I am so sick of this administration.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Apologies for basically fucking over someone during a pandemic, at potentially untold cost of lives that those equipment were meant to help with?
You misread me. I wasn't denying the need for one or being flippant. I was saying that the Trump Adminstration has damaged decades-long alliances and that the next Democratic President will need to repair them. This is one example, but they are numerous.

Canada and France aren't China or Russia (LOL). They are longstanding US allies. And doing this is repugnant.

Conducting foreign policy is one of the Constitutional duties of the President. Trump has been horrendous here. And that's not even the worse he's done, but he's also gutted our State Department.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
So basically the US gov is being the hording assholes everyone is telling the people not to be...

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
giphy.gif

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
This is fucking disgraceful and sad.

Radio Canada is also reporting the same occurred to a shipment destined for Montreal.

This is no way to treat your closest historical ally, and another close one in France from overseas.

www.rfi.fr

Face masks from China intended for France 'hijacked' by US at the last minute

This is utterly off topic and me getting lost in my own musings, but going off closest historical ally, I think you could argue that France is America's closest historical ally on the presumption that all NATO countries are about as equally close allies as you can get. And France was America's first ally, basically deadlifted the US financially and militarily during the War of Independence.

On topic this is fucking abominable

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
The equipment isn't going to get wasted.

Knowing the current administration, who knows how they will utilize the ill gotten gains.

You misread me. I wasn't denying the need for one or being flippant. I was saying that the Trump administration has damaged decades-long alliances and that the next Democratic President will need to repair them. This is one example, but they are numerous.

No worries. Sorry, just feel that this is a new level of subhuman behaviour. Essentially screwing over 2 different sets of people, who did the right thing for their citizens, and got fucked by another group who were not taking things seriously to begin with, and now resorting to these kind of tactics.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If only the richest country in the history of the world could have afforded to stock up on masks in case of a pandemic or you know mass manufacture it themselves...

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Montreal is the most affected city in Canada, and Quebec as a whole is on the verge of running out of masks, literally days away. This shipment was supposed to help greatly and ensure our medical staff can remain safe as the situation escalates.

Fuck this shit.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
So basically the US gov is being the hording assholes everyone is telling the people not to be...
More like our inept government has no plan in place and is scrambling to get the scraps left over. They're letting our own companies export to other nations and fueled the states into a bidding war for equipment in China before jumping into said bidding war driving the cost even higher.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
If only there had been a way ahead of time to have had emergency supplies ready.

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Bribed? Hijacked? Am I missing something from the article?

This is capitalism, not some illegal operation. Thread title is misleading and only there to say fuck the US.

Is it a shitty thing to do? Yeah, but it's by no means bribing or hijacking.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Bribed? Hijacked? Am I missing something from the article?

This is capitalism, not some illegal operation. Thread title is misleading and only there to say fuck the US.

Is it a shitty thing to do? Yeah, but it's by no means bribing or hijacking.

Fuck the US,no matter what you would call it

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Knowing the current administration, who knows how they will utilize the ill gotten gains.
Not making a comment on the current administration in deference to Hatch, will just acknowledge that what you wrote is fair enough.

Generally speaking, we're in a severe fucking crisis right now.

We're not "hoarding" supplies by doing this. We're damn near out of supplies! From what I know personally of hospitals in my home state, it's disastrously unsafe for hospital staff. Hospital staff would figuratively, and maybe literally, kill for adequate PPE. (In theory) We're grabbing whatever we can to make a dent in an overwhelming demand.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of worried what might occur to the shipment of 157 million surgical masks and 60 million N95 masks we were getting this week. Hopefully those are already in the country.

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking shithole selfish country. Your systems are rotten to the core and I hope you're left alone with nobody when this is all over.