finaljedi

Jul 15, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Looks like you won't be able to redowonload after October 1st either. That's cool of the devs to do that...

AleSRgK.png

OP
OP
finaljedi

finaljedi

Jul 15, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
It was included in those charity bundles for both BLM and Palestine I believe, so there are probably a lot of people with this in their libraries on itch.io.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pulling game downloads from existing owners is just the worst. The absolute worst. It would have me seriously reconsider buying anything from that storefront in the future.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Removing download files feels dirty.

Itch.io doing it feels particularly dirty for some reason.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Hmm, I've received no such message/e-mail despite owning Oxenfree on itch.io through the Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality, presumably because I hadn't officially added it to my collection or w/e... sneaky.

Well, since I haven't received any notice that MY download will be removed on October 1st, I'll complain quite loudly if it does.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Pulling game downloads from existing owners is just the worst. The absolute worst. It would have me seriously reconsider buying anything from that storefront in the future.
Removing download files feels dirty.

Itch.io doing it feels particularly dirty for some reason.
itch.io is a simple platform for indie devs, so I imagine the ability to remove content is firmly in the hands of the content owners. Who are in this case Netflix.

It's not like Steam or the app stores. It's shitty but I don't think this sets a precedence. Other than, backup files if an indie team gets bought by a corporation.

dgamemaster

Detective Mode: On
Jun 29, 2020
This 100% is a Netflix call instead of a Night Studio call. At least the Steam version seems to remain up, so it isn't like it's getting completely delisted. But still, a shame for those who bought that game on itch.io specifically

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm just old school but I'd just download it and store it on local drive (or even better - a DVD)? It's basically a physical copy at that point. Because it's a DRM free download I don't find this as big a deal as something pulled from a store like Steam for example.

OP
OP
finaljedi

finaljedi

Jul 15, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Hmm, I've received no such message/e-mail despite owning Oxenfree on itch.io through the Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality, presumably because I hadn't officially added it to my collection or w/e... sneaky.

Well, since I haven't received any notice that MY download will be removed on October 1st, I'll complain quite loudly if it does.

It probably happens when you add it to your collection. When I got those bundles I went through and added the ones that looked interesting to my collection.

I'm on the GOG core community discord and they usually announce games being removed there and the last thing they have were the Suffering games.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
It probably happens when you add it to your collection. When I got those bundles I went through and added the ones that looked interesting to my collection.

I'm on the GOG core community discord and they usually announce games being removed there and the last thing they have were the Suffering games.
I've since added it to my account and downloaded it, but still no notice about it being removed. Not that it'd help if I tried to add it to my collection after its removal on October 1st.

So I've shot an e-mail over to itch.io support requesting that they please make sure that everyone who bought the Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality be notified about Oxenfree's impending removal, regardless of whether or not they've added it to their collection yet or not.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird. Does Itch not have a delisting function that allows for redownloads?

Minions

Oct 25, 2017
Why can items be removed from a bundle that was already purchased? Surely it be removed from sale for future purchases, but people who already paid should still be able to access it? If not I'm gonna stop buying things from Itch.io .

Edit-
I did find this https://itch.io/t/503899/are-itchio-developers-allowed-to-delete-games-that-weve-purchased apparently they can remove the files, but not the project page? no idea if this is outdated, seems like a pretty flawed TOS.

2nd Edit-

Is there a way to take stop my game being sold but still allow existing owners to carry on downloading it? - Questions & Support

Heya, I wanted to stop my game being sold on itch due to Steam's TOS. The only way I saw that it was possible through searching was by ticking the "hide this file and prevent it being downloaded" box
Apparently Itch does have support to disable new purchases while allowing existing purchases to access/redownload, this dev is just choosing not to use the function....

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Apparently Itch does have support to disable new purchases while allowing existing purchases to access/redownload, this dev is just choosing not to use the function....
More like they're using that function now (I wasn't even able to view the Oxenfree page, giving me a page not found until I added it into my collection from the bundle, at which point I guess itch finally considered me to officially own the game), and choosing to stop using it come October 1st.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I just got this and it really disturbs me. I mean, you don't want to sell it there anymore, fine, whatever. But why remove it for people like me who bought it on Itch years and years ago? Fucking why? It costs you nothing to keep access for customers! Removing it even costs good will and reputation. It's just bizarre and sets a terrible precedent. And they only give less than a month's notice!

What if I didn't see this in time? That could easily happen. I'd lose the game forever without re-buying it.

Thankfully, it's DRM-free, so I can keep the game because I have downloaded it but it just seems so meaningless to remove the ability of owners to download it. Now I have to keep backups and manage that data.

And yeah, this would be Netflix, for sure. No small game studio would choose to do something this stupid for kicks, but Netflix would.

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Usually when a game gets delisted, that just means that you can't purchase it anymore, but everyone who already owns it can still re-download it as long as the storefront exists. Outright scrubbing it entirely is disturbing.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
This is the case for the vast majority of copyrighted media and it's always been weird that people don't think it applies to games.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
This only pertains to digital goods because the USA has lackluster (non-existent) customer rights.

It applies in every country in the world, not just the USA.

Under the Berne convention keeping a file online for reaccess involved continuing permission from every copyright owner, and they simply aren't available in perpetuity.

It's only a matter of time until third party rights owners like music societies force Steam et al to stop distributing many older titles and there will be much wailing when it happens.

hersheyfan