Votes: 85 38.8%

Votes: 18 8.2%
  • Overwatch 1 again but with new Tracer design

Votes: 54 24.7%

Votes: 6 2.7%

• Total voters

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
The Overwatch 2 box art is very boring imo.
Launch_Key_Art.png

Even if they were trying to showcase the only 3 new characters they could have made it more interesting.

Overwatch 1 box art only featured 1 character but it was at least striking.
81mnBxXOG0L._AC_SX425_.jpg

But Blizzard created a number of alternatives for Overwatch 2. Which one of these is your favorite?

ykVwbrYmAGghaeAY3YLzdG-1200-80.jpg.webp

overwatch-2-button-fin-1656022954568.jpg

3. (not really a box art but it should be)
960x0.jpg

4. (could work as another single character cover)
Overwatch_2_Junker_Queen_Main_Menu.png

Number 3 for me goes hard with the new theme song. Wish they went with that.

Edit: It seems different platforms have different covers. This one is for PC and Switch.

Number 5 added at 48 votes
sojourn-guide-tips.jpg

Last edited:

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Was there an actual box art though? I feel like it's made to change with every season and why we have the three new heroines as the game icon now.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
They're maybe doing a Fortnite style box art, dynamic with the newest heroes highlighted

Käebi

Mar 12, 2019
This doesn't make sense. The first pic is just a key art. There is no "box art", since there is no box. No need to compare anything.

boogerbrain51

Nov 3, 2020
This game just doesn't do it for me with this art style and the characters looking like twitch influencers

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I feel like it's super fitting and that it's both fine and appropriate that they'd be taking pains to really emphasize the new characters.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Regardless of whether it's actually box art, I have to say I dislike all of the Overwatch 2 artwork you posted in the OP.

3 is the least bad, and 4 is at least something different, but the character composition in all of them is remarkably generic. It makes it look like a fictional game you'd see within a TV show.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's just the art for season 1, but yes you're right it's ugly. The battlepass skins are also rough.

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
btw the new heroines' design is so dull compared to past characters, except for junker queen

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
btw the new heroines' design is so dull compared to past characters, except for junker queen

Disagree heavily.

Junkerqueen is probably the lamest design of them all. Sojourn is absolutely banger and the most unique.

Kiriko is OK, but her plays style is absolutely fun.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Disagree heavily.

Junkerqueen is probably the lamest design of them all. Sojourn is absolutely banger and the most unique.

Kiriko is OK, but her plays style is absolutely fun.
I feel the other way around. Sojourn is a boring Soldier++. Kiriko is just meh. Give me my viking queen (Blizzard this is a skin idea).

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Box... Art? It is definitely art that is in a box. I don't mind any of it, especially f2p stuff since it will always change seasonally.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, cover art isn't really important for GAAS MP games. It'll change when new seasons come along anyways.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
That doesn't look great and they had a bunch of other better options but it's just a rotating banner highlighting the current stuff going on in the game, not THE boxart. I expect it to improve a lot with time since it can be a very eye catching and inviting thing that makes people want to play when a new season makes a game have a very cool tile, and it just feels nice to click as you enter.

I hope they use a version of this art for the game tile during the event at the end of the month. Beautiful drawn art looks much better than just having 3d models.
jbNNmlN.jpg

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
3 is the best option and would make great and compelling key art. There's no "box" though so I'm not too pressed about this.
This game just doesn't do it for me with this art style and the characters looking like twitch influencers
This feels like a roundabout way of making a "ugh, pink hair and women with muscles, stupid woke culture" dog whistle post but maybe I'm just reading you uncharitably here.

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
ERA is becoming the best place for absolute shit OW takes

I'm old enough to remember when having an opinion was just called having an opinion.

To me, all three of those characters fit very comfortably with the aesthetics of the Overwatch IP. If you mean the like coloured hairstyles and stuff, that's always been a thing in Overwatch. Genji had bright green hair when he was young, for example. But there were other examples too, like Sombra.

Overwatch is set in the modern real world, where people dye their hair, just like in real life.

Care to expound on this a little more?

boogerbrain51

Nov 3, 2020
3 is the best option and would make great and compelling key art. There's no "box" though so I'm not too pressed about this.

This feels like a roundabout way of making a "ugh, pink hair and women with muscles, stupid woke culture" dog whistle post but maybe I'm just reading you uncharitably here.
nah I'm all for women with muscles and pink hair that's cool I think they effort is corny

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
It's not great, but the OG one is one of the worst boxarts of recent years so it's not a huge loss.

"Striking" lol. It was about as bland and uninteresting as it got. The opposite of eye-catching.

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
You may also be old enough to know what an echo chamber is.

English isn't my native tongue so I may be misunderstanding the implication here, but are you saying ERA is an echo chamber when it comes to opinions on Overwatch?

There's been a lot of disagreement regarding the game. From its monetization to... well, hell, even in this thread there's disagreement over the "cover" thing for the game lol.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
English isn't my native tongue so I may be misunderstanding the implication here, but are you saying ERA is an echo chamber when it comes to opinions on Overwatch?

There's been a lot of disagreement regarding the game. From its monetization to... well, hell, even in this thread there's disagreement over the "cover" thing for the game lol.
Not in particular in Overwatch, ERA has become an echo chamber of a lot of dumb hot takes.
(and I'm not defending Overwatch, I agree a lot with the criticisms here, but those are not opinions, are just how the game systems are)

Oct 27, 2017
The original box are was pretty poor; I definitely would not call it striking.

I don't think the second has box art (as everybody else has said) but were it to have box art I think 3, 2, or 1 would be the most suitable.

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
they all look like boring and forgettable?

Soujourn (to the left) is probably an acquired taste. She's kindhearted but quite battle-hardened, most of her body isn't even organic anymore so she's not exactly "fun". Junker Queen in the middle's a riot. She's australian, so hearing her madly taunt everybody else and threatening to fuck'em up with a heavy australian accent as she runs around and shoots people with a sawed off shotgun is hilarious -- she's a complete psychopath like most other characters from the Junkertown, like Roadhog and Junkrat. Kiriko on the right is also quite a fun character; very confident but still very young, anxious and inexperienced. It was so relatable this one time when I spawn in with her, and she nervously warned the other characters that there may be times when she suddenly teleports to them.

If there's one thing Overwatch does really well, it's characterization, especially for a multiplayer shooter.

The cover image honestly doesn't do those characters justice at all.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Really weird take given there is no box

If there were a box with art you can't assume they would have used any of those