Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Our Flag Means Death is loosely based on the true adventures of Stede Bonnet (Rhys Darby), a pampered aristocrat who abandons his life of privilege to become a pirate. The series also stars Academy Award winner Taika Waititi as Blackbeard, history's most feared and revered pirate.

ew.com

Rhys Darby and Taika Waititi set sail in exclusive first look at 'Our Flag Means Death'

Blimey, it's Blackbeard! Get a first look at Rhys Darby and Taika Waititi in HBO Max's upcoming comedy 'Our Flag Means Death.'

Admit it: You (like most people) have fantasized about quitting your job and seeking adventure on the distant horizon. In the early 18th century, an aristocrat named Stede Bonnet did just that, ditching his privileged life (and his wife and kids) to pursue a career in piracy — despite a complete lack of prior swashbuckling experience. Now Bonnet's real-life escapades are serving as the inspiration for Our Flag Means Death, HBO Max's upcoming comedy about misadventure on the high seas, and EW has your exclusive first look.
"This guy had one of the world's great, colorful midlife crises," showrunner David Jenkins says. "That's a great way into a show in any genre, but to mix that with pirates, I was like, Oh, this is fantastic."
Rhys Darby stars as the landlubber Bonnet, and the show (premiering in March) follows his naïve first forays into piracy. As he takes to the sea, he eventually teams up with the notorious Blackbeard (Taika Waititi, who also directed the first episode). Off screen, the two New Zealanders have been friends for more than a decade, with the Thor: Ragnarok filmmaker directing Darby in projects including Flight of the Conchords and What We Do in the Shadows. "I hadn't really acted alongside him at all," Darby says. "So when he came aboard as [Blackbeard], all hell broke loose because no one's telling him what to do. Now [we're costars] and he's not capable of telling me what to do!"

"They are like an old married couple in certain ways," Jenkins adds with a laugh. "If a scene isn't quite working, Taika will be able to grumble about Rhys, and vice versa, in the way that only friends can. And then when it is popping, they know how to get the best out of each other. There's a generosity and a real sweetness between them that you wouldn't get if you weren't using those two friends."
While the series is based in history — Bonnet and Blackbeard really did sail together in the early 1700s — Jenkins describes Our Flag Means Death as less of a pirate show and more of a "workplace show in a strange environment," adding, "The idea of blowing your life up is so universal."

TheOneRing

Oct 26, 2021
Looks excellent, will get HBO Max when this comes out and catch up on a few things at the same time.

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, William Goldman wrote about trying to make a movie about this story in one of his books. I've always been curious about the story since, cool to see someone is doing something with it

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I'm in.

Rhys Darby is not a name I immediately recognized, but I do recognize his voice. He's been in a ton of cartoons, makes the humour in Half-Life Alyx work, and his cameo in Guns Akimbo is fun too.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
Fantastic! Will be a great companion piece to the yearly Black Sails spring marathon 😃🏴‍☠️

If anyone wants a primer on the fucking weird life Bonnet had:

youtu.be

The Gentleman Pirate | Sundance Rejects

The story of Stede Bonnet, a man who had an early mid-life crisis and decided to go a-pirating.--------Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/internethistorianLiv...

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason whenever I see this shows title I think that it would make a good title di a documentary on an imperialist country

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like fun; anyone know when the finale airs? I'd like to wait for it to finish & binge it all then rather than go week by week.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I just watched the first three and I'm digging it. There wasn't anything that made me laugh-out-loud like in Righteous Gemstones but the humor is still enough for me. I read a really great book about pirates last year after watching Black Sails and have had a pirate itch that hasn't been getting scratched, so I'm eagerly awaiting the next episodes.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the 2nd episode.... Jesus Christ, as a kid who grew up playing Monkey Island in the 90s and loving films like Nate and Hayes, this is the kind of show I always wanted.

This shit is AWESOME! (^____^)

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
I hadn't heard anything about this show's existence and just flipped it on when the first 3 episodes dropped, I am absolutely loving it

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
This show doesn't reach the heights of other Waititi/Darby projects, but I'm enjoying well enough. Hope it gets enough reception to do another season if that's the plan. I could definitely see this improving as it figures things out.

Dec 11, 2017
I didn't realize this show was based on a real person until last night and now my enjoyment of the show has increased even further.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Is this really the only thread for this show?

Two more episodes tonight, we're absolutely loving it, Rhys Darby is a treasure.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
We watched like 3 episodes but there really isn't anything funny in the show so far, just sorta setups with not much humor other than "aren't these people ridiculous?"

The visuals are really terrible too, I'm not expecting Black Sails level of ship realism but this looks like a stage play.

Oh well, hope it gets better.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
This builds into something really nice. It needs a good four episodes however, because Waititi's character is a key element to what ends up forming the core of the show.

My understanding, from being around industry folks, is that a second season is indeed being planned. Don't know if everything's officially committed on that, but things are happening on that front.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
We watched like 3 episodes but there really isn't anything funny in the show so far, just sorta setups with not much humor other than "aren't these people ridiculous?"

The visuals are really terrible too, I'm not expecting Black Sails level of ship realism but this looks like a stage play.

Oh well, hope it gets better.
Same for me, glad folks are enjoying it, though. For me I got bored very quickly and also found the look distracting in a way I can't quite put my finger on.

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
Fantastic! Will be a great companion piece to the yearly Black Sails spring marathon 😃🏴‍☠️

If anyone wants a primer on the fucking weird life Bonnet had:

youtu.be

The Gentleman Pirate | Sundance Rejects

The story of Stede Bonnet, a man who had an early mid-life crisis and decided to go a-pirating.--------Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/internethistorianLiv...

For me this will never be topped.

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
It's very hit and miss with me and my wife. It was hard to get through the last 3 episodes, but the passive aggressive episode was good. We will continue to watch, just wish it had more funny moments.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes, next one looks like Nick Kroll is in, and I think I'm done with it. Just not enough laughs for me. Only reason I might watch another episode is because Taika finally showed up and see if it gets any better.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
A decent watch but makes me want more Miracle Workers. Now that show had a killer fucking cast to carry failed jokes and gags.

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
I was so so on this show at the start. It really clicked with me after Blackbeard became part of the main cast. I was really not expecting a gay romance going into this as the center of the show. Fleetwood Mac at the end of the last episode was great. Having it timed to the British drummer was a nice touch.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
That was really fun, funny, and a little bit terrifying, and it's easy to see where season two will go.

What a joy to see Kristen Johnston again. I know she's been working, but she hasn't been in anything I watch in ages, and she was hilarious in the finale.