ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Aug 7, 2019
Willing to bet who hid then incinerated Sazz's body is different from who shot Sazz

"Not your fucking friend". Goosebumps!

Last edited:

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking A, they hit on all cylinders. Love seeing Eugene Levy fanboy out in a way that annoys Charles lol.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've liked a first EP of the season that much since the first. Excited for more! That got darker than I was expecting.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That was terrific. Funny, interesting and actually quite chilling too!

Hopefully they can keep it up.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Great premiere, was about to say poor Sazz, but that would be forgetting the central rule...

Also damn, they didn't have to roast Mabel like that at the meeting, at least she's getting paid now lol

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Great premiere, was about to say poor Sazz, but that would be forgetting the central rule...

Also damn, they didn't have to roast Mabel like that at the meeting, at least she's getting paid now lol
Having Eva Longoria play her is just phenomenal. Love that it's the opposite of so many Hollywood adaptations (where it'd be an 18 year old girl instead)

Sep 14, 2019
Season 4???

Are season 3 and 4 just as good as season 1?

I checked out in season 2 when they hand waved Oscar's absence.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are season 3 and 4 just as good as season 1?

Well S4 just started, but probably not regarding S3, but none of the seasons have made me think "Ok, this show sucks now", it's been a consistent joy for me each year.

S3 did add Meryl Streep to the cast though, she is unsurprisingly great

Having Eva Longoria play her is just phenomenal. Love that it's the opposite of so many Hollywood adaptations (where it'd be an 18 year old girl instead)

Very good point lol, though I did chuckle at them commenting on how it is kind of "creepy" seeing someone as young as Mabel pal around with two old guys (though we love the show for that) Granted I never necessarily used that exact word even before starting the show, but the constant undercurrent of Mabel really needing more friends her own age is amusing

Rustyspider13

Shinra Employee
Nov 16, 2023
Really glad to have this show back. I loved that they faked us out twice for the body reveal, the 'grave-y' bit, the different approaches (fanboy-ish, sincere, resentful) of the three actors for our trio and that they didn't do the long distance=breakup thing with Oliver. I also wonder what the number was for Mabel. Charles clutching Sazz's metal joints was really sad.

Regarding the murder itself, it has to be two people involved, right? Why would a sniper shoot someone from the rooftops and then go inside to dispose of the body?

Oct 28, 2017
Really glad to have this show back. I loved that they faked us out twice for the body reveal, the 'grave-y' bit, the different approaches (fanboy-ish, sincere, resentful) of the three actors for our trio and that they didn't do the long distance=breakup thing with Oliver. I also wonder what the number was for Mabel. Charles clutching Sazz's metal joints was really sad.

Regarding the murder itself, it has to be two people involved, right? Why would a sniper shoot someone from the rooftops and then go inside to dispose of the body?

1) I think Mabel asked for script approval.

2) I got the last season that the writers kinda decided to "retcon" Paul rudds dead in order to for the story they were writing. This feels like the same thing happened. They didn't want the end of the prior season to write them into a corner so they walked back the death a little bit. I don't think this was a huge issue with season 3 so I don't think it will be a big issue here either

Rustyspider13

Shinra Employee
Nov 16, 2023
1) I think Mabel asked for script approval.

2) I got the last season that the writers kinda decided to "retcon" Paul rudds dead in order to for the story they were writing. This feels like the same thing happened. They didn't want the end of the prior season to write them into a corner so they walked back the death a little bit. I don't think this was a huge issue with season 3 so I don't think it will be a big issue here either
1) Oh that'd be interesting. Feels like something Mabel would do.

2) I didn't have any issue with S3 either, so as long as it comes together, I'm cool. But they do need to explain how the people involved were familiar with the building to dispose of the body on the fly like they did. Assuming that Charles was the main target and poor Sazz was just collateral damage of course.

Jun 20, 2021
Banger of an opening episode but my god, the scene where they discover Sazz's 'body' was GRIM!

I think Sazz's murder is somehow connected to Amy Ryan/Jan. She is in prison with some well-connected people who might be able to pull off assassinating Charles. She tried getting back at Charles by having a fling with Sazz but that didn't work so she went with the nuclear option.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Banger of an opening episode but my god, the scene where they discover Sazz's 'body' was GRIM!

I think Sazz's murder is somehow connected to Amy Ryan/Jan. She is in prison with some well-connected people who might be able to pull off assassinating Charles. She tried getting back at Charles by having a fling with Sazz but that didn't work so she went with the nuclear option.
Not your "fucking" friend indeed

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think I'm an old man now because I laughed at Oliver's Gilbert Grape and Sharper Image catalog jokes at the beginning of the episode.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I also thought of Jan, makes too much sense

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why was Kumail Nanjiani in the credits of the second episode? Did I miss something?

Edit: OH. Christmas guy?

Oct 26, 2017
Still haven't watched the second episode but first was promising. Also, the theme song is really good. For some reason, didn't really hit me how great it is until this season. Maybe because I watched Fargo recently and that drum theme there really got me paying attention to music

Rustyspider13

Shinra Employee
Nov 16, 2023
This episode made me really appreciate stuntpeople. That entire interview of Sazz was great and Martin sold their relationship well. I have no clue where they are going with the motive for this but I'm interested in the new pool of suspects and how one or more of them will eventually connect to Charles. I'd bet money on Jan showing up later in the season to save the day.

Jun 20, 2021
This show has an excellent way of planting something tiny in your head and making it pay off in a HUGE way. And yes, I am talking about "TAP IN".

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Stray observations on second episode:
  • Opening for the second episode is so absurdly dark and funny. I'm not sure if anyone else could've made that work except for Steve Martin. Reminds me of the equally outrageous running gag involving the son last season; they've taken their success and really pushed the envelope with some of the jokes they try.
  • I love Richard Kind.
  • Gates of Heaven -> Heaven's Gate; Once Upon a Time in the West -> the west tower
  • When Mabel mentioned the "ham radio," I paused the episode because it immediately registered that they'd used the phrase "ham radio" before. It was actually Sazz, specifically, saying she'd heard chatter about someone wanting to kill Charles on "the old ham radio" last season. That stuck to mind because last season had teased its end-of-season murder with both that exchange and Charles repeatedly dodging death in the episode where he gets trapped in the theatre.
  • But when it comes to the apartment itself, it seems like they're just, I dunno, breeding pigs to eat? I'm not sure about the logistics of that or if if that's too obvious.
  • Charles' card game: he remembers the game, and that it was Sazz's way to give him company, but doesn't remember any of the participants' names after referring to them as his friends, while "Sazz" does. Sure, decades have passed, but it's pretty consistent with how they've depicted Charles as oblivious to his self-centered behaviour.
  • The one thing this show can never convince me of is its post-season 1 usage of Jan. Sazz sincerely dating Jan, Jan breaking out—it just doesn't work for me at all.

This show has an excellent way of planting something tiny in your head and making it pay off in a HUGE way. And yes, I am talking about "TAP IN".
This was very good.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Episode was great with Charles realizing just how much Sazz has meant to him. And of course right when people suspect Jan, they very quickly rule her out by having her break out of prison. Which is ironic, because she would've been a more likely candidate if she had stayed in prison.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Man what an episode. That was top notch. Steve and Jane's scenes were gold.