y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
My guess is it's supposed to be a realistic smiling sheep but since sheep don't have those face muscles it's making a happy bah.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
It looks creepy with those horns and that frozen scream, like it's supposed to be horror themed. Hope they can refine it.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Imma wait for Going Merry to actually finish before I feel some type of way, but based on that leak its going to depend on the eyes. If they stay wide open its gonna look weird, but if they're closed and it's portraying that Merry is laughing it could look pretty cool.

If the inspiration behind live action Merry is something like:

billy-goat-picture-id178558377

The_Laughing_Goat_%2844802426332%29.jpg

I'd be pretty satisfied.

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
Possible leaked image of the interior Baratie set that's starting to circulate around. Take it with the usual dashes of salt.

FQjEv1nWUAYoAy6

Last edited:

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
I'm surprised they even bothered with building Shanks' ship. These set pieces look so expensive, hope they actually look good in the final product.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
You know what Merry is nightmare fuel but they have two boats and actual, fake, windmills??? I'm impressed that wasn't all CGI

Oct 25, 2017
Open mouth Merry is growing on me. In hindsight the change probably came because sticking 1:1 to the original design would have made it look too toy-like in live action? There must have been some issues with how it appeared in certain angles, which the 2D imagery can just cheat away. Considering how slavishly they are sticking close to the other sets, changing the Merry's head couldn't have been without reason.
I'm surprised they even bothered with building Shanks' ship. These set pieces look so expensive, hope they actually look good in the final product.
Yeah had the same reaction… Shanks' ship is a footnote for the overall start of the series. Unless they're expanding his story in a big way, that seems like an absurd amount to spend on his ship.

Crazy how much they're pouring into this, they really want this to be GoT-level huh.

Deleted member 171

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they'll reuse Shanks ship with some mods for any other boats.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I think they're going to paint the goat's face, otherwise it'll look pretty creepy.

It'll likely be not only painted but also further touched up in post-production. Really wouldn't worry too much until we see the final result.

You know what Merry is nightmare fuel but they have two boats and actual, fake, windmills??? I'm impressed that wasn't all CGI

Yeah had the same reaction… Shanks' ship is a footnote for the overall start of the series. Unless they're expanding his story in a big way, that seems like an absurd amount to spend on his ship.

Crazy how much they're pouring into this, they really want this to be GoT-level huh.

Yeah I'm also surprised at the sheer level of effort on display in the set design. I remember Randy Troy figuring they'd have a single generic ship that they could graft different mastheads onto but no, they're actually going through the effort of making all the ships individually. And we haven't even begun the convo on CGI yet.

There's no way this is cheap. It's gotta be either major faith or major hubris on Netflix's part to be writing blank checks like this. Not that I'm complaining but damn Marvel would've green-screened most of this shit in, lmao.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way this is cheap. It's gotta be either major faith or major hubris on Netflix's part to be writing blank checks like this. Not that I'm complaining but damn Marvel would've green-screened most of this shit in, lmao.
They definitely expect this series to both last and to generate plenty of merchandise. You build sets like this when you expect to reuse them down the line because it, ultimately, saves a whole lot of money in the long run and, unlike CG, doesn't need frequent touching up and can't just be deleted by accident. Plus you have dimensions and all kinds of other stuff ready to go for product.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
They definitely expect this series to both last and to generate plenty of merchandise. You build sets like this when you expect to reuse them down the line because it, ultimately, saves a whole lot of money in the long run and, unlike CG, doesn't need frequent touching up and can't just be deleted by accident. Plus you have dimensions and all kinds of other stuff ready to go for product.

I'm almost wondering if they plan on the potential recycling of ship sets as stages or touring shows if this thing actually gets off the ground. Like, they won't actually get much mileage out of Shanks' ship in the short run, given what little he'll appear without any script changes, but as a potential promotional tool, it'd be damned killer

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
the report I read years ago was that Netflix wants this to be their big international tentpole IP, like Marvel, Fast, etc. I'm not sure they've thought about it longterm other than that this is a popular and long lasting IP, but by all accounts this is a more ambitious project than their typical pump and dump shows. I'm not sure they can win over tons of audience members who already weren't interested in One Piece/anime to begin with though.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this just looks like a waste of money. And I don't mean this in a "this show is gonna suck" kind of way. I don't even remember that we even ever saw Shanks ship. And they just went and built it......

Will be interesting how this comes together on the screen.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think it's rumored to have a $10m budget per episode so yeah it's big but the sets are blockbuster level of budget and they're filming a lot on water (I guess ?) which is quite costly too.
Yeah the filming on water is definitely gonna add up, but realistically they can probably shoot most of the boating scenes at once and splice them across the episodes. Most of it in the first arc is just them traveling. Baratie is the main thing that could be problematic since there's multiple big action sequences there.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this just looks like a waste of money. And I don't mean this in a "this show is gonna suck" kind of way. I don't even remember that we even ever saw Shanks ship. And they just went and built it......

Literally the establishing page of Romance Dawn after the 'There once was a man named Gold Roger...' spiel
A5QmfqW.jpg

Thing is, this is basically all we see of it, along with Shanks setting off. Maybe the scene where Mihawk visits

Which is why it seems so strange to me - while with ships like the Merry a physical set makes sense for the longer term, for Shanks' ship it's rather... less so.

Maybe it was just easier to have it looming there in the background of shots, rather than try to digitally insert it every time

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Oda's shown 2 (or the first got an extensive refitting):

8sC9r6q.png

First is from chapter one. We saw the second when he met Whitebeard. Seems the LA one is based more on that, which is unsurprising.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Red Force was at Marineford as well.

But yeah, that seems like a lot of work for a only a few panels.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They needed the ship for the extended 25 minutes raid on Who's Who's ship during the pilot, the show is trying to soften the blow and reception for the extended gomu gomu lore setup on season 10

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost wondering if they plan on the potential recycling of ship sets as stages or touring shows if this thing actually gets off the ground. Like, they won't actually get much mileage out of Shanks' ship in the short run, given what little he'll appear without any script changes, but as a potential promotional tool, it'd be damned killer
That doesn't seem likely, but it also doesn't seem impossible either.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
the report I read years ago was that Netflix wants this to be their big international tentpole IP, like Marvel, Fast, etc. I'm not sure they've thought about it longterm other than that this is a popular and long lasting IP, but by all accounts this is a more ambitious project than their typical pump and dump shows. I'm not sure they can win over tons of audience members who already weren't interested in One Piece/anime to begin with though.
I wouldn't say they haven't considered long term. There's a lot of set up in just the episode 1 leak for events that occur way later. They're clearly putting in effort, especially with Oda playing a core part of the team. How far the reach goes is up for debate, but the mere fact that this is live action means there will be plenty of people not interested in the original work that will watch this. A ton of casual viewers talk about the "big new" Netflix show, but One Piece as a whole is seen as its separate side even within the anime community because of how hard it is to get into. A 12 episode one hour story on face value is far easier to swallow than literally one THOUSAND twenty minute episodes of a show.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

If anything I figure the ship recycling would be the most obvious. Goes with the aforementioned theory on swapping out mastheads to fake different ships, but even then you'd likely still want at least a few ship sets to be able to use simultaneously.

The trickier part is the locales IMO. Like a hypothetical S2 alone would likely hit both Drum Island and Alabasta, and I'm not sure just how much set reuse they're thinking they can get away with. Fucking windmills everywhere now. 😂

I think it's rumored to have a $10m budget per episode so yeah it's big but the sets are blockbuster level of budget and they're filming a lot on water (I guess ?) which is quite costly too.

Yeah the filming on water is definitely gonna add up, but realistically they can probably shoot most of the boating scenes at once and splice them across the episodes. Most of it in the first arc is just them traveling. Baratie is the main thing that could be problematic since there's multiple big action sequences there.

....I just realized the Red Force pic was of it on water, meaning it's an actual floating boat. I was convinced they'd just be left as these giant parade floats and they'd CG the water underneath to fake it.

.....Huh.

I wouldn't say they haven't considered long term. There's a lot of set up in just the episode 1 leak for events that occur way later. They're clearly putting in effort, especially with Oda playing a core part of the team. How far the reach goes is up for debate, but the mere fact that this is live action means there will be plenty of people not interested in the original work that will watch this. A ton of casual viewers talk about the "big new" Netflix show, but One Piece as a whole is seen as its separate side even within the anime community because of how hard it is to get into. A 12 episode one hour story on face value is far easier to swallow than literally one THOUSAND twenty minute episodes of a show.

They really have to go full-on "we're the next Game of Thrones" swagger with this I feel. You're right in that a lot of casual viewers will give this more of a go solely because it's live-action (and American-produced) and it's gotta come off as cool to them as it does to us, with the kind of long-term planning and foreshadowing that'd make the MCU look slapped together. And I don't think it's completely impossible but man do they have the deck stacked against them.

Interesting point on it being a more accessible entrypoint into OP though. The most damning thing against Cowboy Bebop was that there was no reason to watch it when the original anime was right there. The Netflix series being effectively OP Kai, serving a more condensed and palatable version compared to the now-thousand-plus manga chapters and anime episodes, is a fascinating approach to a value-add that I hope works out for them.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The more I see, the more cautiously optimistic I am towards this (emphasis on CAUTIOUSLY)

The big elephant in the room will still be the tone and the Devil Fruit powers. Gonna have to work some magic to get those to work, but if they can stick the landing... It sure would be nice for One Piece to pick up some more international appeal

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting point on it being a more accessible entrypoint into OP though. The most damning thing against Cowboy Bebop was that there was no reason to watch it when the original anime was right there.

That's gonna be the end result for this series too cuz being a condensed version of a long running series isn't going to mean much unless it actually gets to go on for years and years, much less actually finish.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
That's gonna be the end result for this series too cuz being a condensed version of a long running series isn't going to mean much unless it actually gets to go on for years and years, much less actually finish.
Yeah. Even being charitable, a One Piece seasons schedule would basically cover:
1 - East Blue
2 - Baroque Works
3 - Jaya & Skypiea
4 - Water 7 & Enies Lobby
5 - Thriller Bark & maybe Sabaody
6 - Amazon Lily, Impel Down, & Marineford
7 - Return & Fishman Island
8 - Punk Hazard & Dressrosa
9 - Zou & Whole Cake Island
10 - Wano

Apzu

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
They are going all in on boats we will probably only see in 1 or 2 episodes. I'm amazed by that. First they did Alvida's and now we have Shanks, that's a lot of money going for very few scenes.

Yeah. Even being charitable, a One Piece seasons schedule would basically cover:
1 - East Blue
2 - Baroque Works
3 - Jaya & Skypiea
10 - Wano
Season 4 and 5 would be the hardest ones to adapt from a strictly chapters to episode ratio. Thriller bark doesn't have enough going on to hold up a season on its own and Water 7 + Enies Lobby would actually have too much packed for a single season. Anyway, that's something they will have to worry if they get there.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

I mean yes, obviously this value relies on the Netflix show actually lasting long enough for this value to be of use. Obviously it's completely valueless if this completely shits the bed and it gets scrapped literally days later like Bebop did.

I get it, Hollywood should stop trying to make fetch happen, but God forbid I try to be even the slightest bit optimistic here. Like they're literally building their own full-scale pirate ships, plural, they better step to fucking bat.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
1 - East Blue
2 - Baroque Works
3 - Jaya & Skypiea
10 - Wano

That's another good point. How valuable is a condensed series when even with you being "charitable" we're talking something that could still get up to 10+ seasons. And would have to do so while maintaining the budget (if not making it higher in the future), and has to navigate through Netflix's growing reputation for cancelling its shows after a few seasons.

Now obviously yea, some prefer live action no matter what, but 1000+ episodes (in this scenario we assume these potential new fans have virtually no interest in ever reading the manga) is still ironically more doable than waiting that many years to catch up through a different medium.

With something like Game of Thrones, people didn't have any choice, because there was no other alternative adaptation to watch on the TV, and ofc the books are now a dead end. Ideally, whatever happens with this, it'll make more people want to check out the manga more to a noticeable degree.

I mean yes, obviously this value relies on the Netflix show actually lasting long enough for this value to be of use. Obviously it's completely valueless if this completely shits the bed and it gets scrapped literally days later like Bebop did.

I get it, Hollywood should stop trying to make fetch happen, but God forbid I try to be even the slightest bit optimistic here. Like they're literally building their own full-scale pirate ships, plural, they better step to fucking bat.

If I were to put away my cynic cap (for the most part) cuz I don't wanna be a perpetual bummer when I post in here specifically, I'm just taking it one step at a time man. First step is hoping the show is good enough to get a S2 renewal. The idea of this being good enough to do it over the "easier to execute on paper" Cowboy Bebop would be hilarious ngl

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They really have to go full-on "we're the next Game of Thrones" swagger with this I feel. You're right in that a lot of casual viewers will give this more of a go solely because it's live-action (and American-produced) and it's gotta come off as cool to them as it does to us, with the kind of long-term planning and foreshadowing that'd make the MCU look slapped together. And I don't think it's completely impossible but man do they have the deck stacked against them.

Interesting point on it being a more accessible entrypoint into OP though. The most damning thing against Cowboy Bebop was that there was no reason to watch it when the original anime was right there. The Netflix series being effectively OP Kai, serving a more condensed and palatable version compared to the now-thousand-plus manga chapters and anime episodes, is a fascinating approach to a value-add that I hope works out for them.
I think there's a few things that make Bebop to OP a poor point of comparison. For one, it goes without saying, but the length. Cowboy Bebop's adaption ultimately runs into the problem of parroting the original with a bunch of added fluff and filler because you only have 26 episodes and a movie to adapt. One Piece is over one thousand episodes and counting. Not only is there room to condense certain aspects, but you can take liberties without having to make up much because the entire established premise is so vast to begin with.

Choosing a mediocre 10 episodes over an amazing 26 show is one thing, choosing to watch 10 episodes over 50+ episodes with the promise of condensed takes of the other 900+ episodes later is much more up for debate on which is better. So yeah, totally agree with you there, and it's something a lot of people seem to be ignoring. It's a major selling point that appeals to multiple types of people outside of the One Piece fandom. A: People who don't watch anime or follow the latest big hit Netflix series and B: People who do watch anime, but see 1000 episodes in a series that's probably only 75% of the way done and get turned off immediately.

That's to be expected if you follow any given series on Netflix with multiple seasons. Most of them are one season per year if not with a year break between seasons. A decade is plenty of time to adapt this without fear of catching up. And even still, if it's like 12 ten episode seasons by the end of it, that's still against the anime which will probably end at what, 1200+ episodes. Still stands pretty favorable being a mere fraction of the commitment to some.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's to be expected if you follow any given series on Netflix with multiple seasons. Most of them are one season per year if not with a year break between seasons. A decade is plenty of time to adapt this without fear of catching up.

I was talking from the perspective of whether Netflix would actually allow it to finish, and that while yes it'd be condensed heavily compared to 1000+ episodes, that word kinda loses its power just a bit when the alternative we're talking about here is sticking with a show that would take like a decade to catch up to where the anime currently is.

Irrelevant to those that have no appetite for watching anime of course, but if one didn't mind doing so, it would still ironically make more sense than waiting that long to catch up through a different medium despite a 1000+ episodes being more psychologically daunting.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was talking from the perspective of whether Netflix would actually allow it to finish, and that while yes it'd be condensed heavily compared to 1000+ episodes, that word kinda loses its power just a bit when the alternative we're talking about here is sticking with a show that would take like a decade to catch up to where the anime currently is.

Irrelevant to those that have no appetite for watching anime of course, but if one didn't mind doing so, it would still ironically make more sense than waiting that long to catch up through a different medium despite a 1000+ episodes being more psychologically daunting.
That's a really good point on the Netflix side. It warrants a lot of long term commitment. But despite having to take longer for episodes to drop, pure numbers that's still a big difference. You tell a person working 40 hour weeks with a 9-5 it'll take them 300+ hours just to catch up with the current material and a lot of people would call you mad. There's so many things competing for our time nowadays, so it's hard justifying that much time into a single show when there's other games, shows, and media to partake in. The drip feed is a lot slower with the live action, but it still stands as a more attractive prospect to a large audience.

Honestly I have no idea how I would catch up to One Piece from scratch if I hadn't already read it for over half my life. Anecdotal, but a friend of mine has been watching on their off time at a steady pace and only hit Skypeia after a year. Someone like that won't get to Wano until several years from now anyway. Unless you throw away other hobbies and time sinks, hundreds of hours for a single show is a large investment.