Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018

View: https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1584482594191654912

One Piece Film Red has earned 17.356 billion yen (about US$116.1 million) and sold 12.5 million tickets as of Sunday. The film has now surpassed both Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets and Bayside Shakedown 2 to become the ninth all-time highest-earning film in Japan. The film is still the sixth all-time highest-earning anime film in Japan.

Toei opened the One Piece Film Red anime in Japan on August 6. The movie has become the franchise's highest-selling and highest-earning film installment, in terms of both the number of tickets sold and yen earned at the box office.

www.animenewsnetwork.com

One Piece Film Red Earns 17.356 Billion Yen, Becomes 9th All-Time Highest-Earning Film in Japan

Film surpasses earnings of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Bayside Shakedown 2

Pre-Order your tickets today for November 3rd/4th

www.fandango.com

One Piece Film Red (2022)

Uta—the most beloved singer in the world whose voice has been described as "otherworldly"—is renowned for concealing her own identity when performing. Now, for the first time ever, she will reveal herself to the world at a live concert.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
The movie was okay to nice in my opinion. Lots of singing (duh) and some nice background/lore information. Some good laughs and scenes, but I found One Piece Strong World to be superior.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's pretty ignorant on all but the high level of One Piece, why did this movie breakout compared to the last 14 (which did well for what they were but not top 10 level)?

Hype because One Piece is in the final stretch? Ado is just that big in Japan right now? Something else?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I'm the biggest musical fan but still got my tickets reserved for the 4th.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
As someone who's pretty ignorant on all but the high level of One Piece, why did this movie breakout compared to the last 14 (which did well for what they were but not top 10 level)?

Hype because One Piece is in the final stretch? Ado is just that big in Japan right now? Something else?
Idols and music.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018

Quoting Corpse, from WorldofKJ
I see your point, about it being "odd" that a One Piece film hasn't been this big yet due to how massive of a franchise it is, but at the same time, these anime movies based on a TV anime/manga have only recently been putting up numbers like this. Remember that Film Z (the 2012 film) was the second biggest TV anime/manga movie ever at the time. A LOT has changed for this genre since then.

It began with the 2018 Detective Conan film breaking ¥9 billion (seeing a significant jump over its many predecessors), becoming the first TV anime/manga movie to break ¥9 billion, performing much higher than any past movie based on a TV anime/manga. Then, it did ¥9 billion again with the 2019 film.

And as we know, the biggest monster of all, Demon Slayer, went crazy and broke everything in 2020. It was the first movie based on a TV anime/manga to exceed ¥10 billion (not to mention quadrupling that...). It wouldn't have been unusual for it to be the outlier given its record-breaking performance, but just half a year later, Evangelion 3.0+1.0 nearly doubled up on its predecessor and also broke ¥10 billion (with a lot of pushing, but still).

And then we got Jujutsu Kaisen 0 a little over half a year after that going well over ¥10 billion, Detective Conan doing ¥9 billion once again, and now One Piece getting ¥10 billion so fast.

So, this trend of anime movies based on a TV anime/manga doing such high numbers is very recent, barely four years old. If we consider this, when just ¥5 billion was super impressive before 2018 for them, it's understandable, I think, that One Piece never got to ¥10 billion in the past.

¥10 billion requires a lot of casual/general moviegoer appeal, which, until very recently, was something none of them could manage to achieve.
Many of the most successful films in Japan are tearjerkers, with notable sad/tragic scenes or storylines. I think it serves as a distraction for many of sorts from the real world and their own problems, a level of escapism that an action or adventure film or something can't really provide in the same way.
Yeah, so the tearjerker / emotional aspect combined with the popular music (Ado's songs in the movie broke a record on the Oricon streaming charts), not to mention appealing heavily to the core fanbase by including Shanks, it was a perfect storm on all fronts. This is the perfect recipe to achieve success in Japan

Add to that an excellent and massive marketing campaign from Toei (who were able to go all-in like that because they saw the newfound potential of anime films) that included a lot of give-aways.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Different voice to promote a vocalist instead of trusting the speaking voice, simple as that. I didn't like it in Macross either. Should just have the singing voice do both.
It's not like anime movies with original stories aren't using amateur VA either, so it's possible...

One of the initial decisions taken during the development of Film Red was to make the character of Uta someone with a powerful singing ability.

After that was decided, Oda and the movie staff eventually selected Ado for this purpose. Given the story relevance of the musical aspect, a skilled singer was a must. All the songs and their lyrics were composed specifically to suit the needs of the script, rather than using preexisting songs.

When they went to audition for a voice actress, the creators had the option of either finding someone with a similar voice to Ado or someone with good acting skills. They had some discussions, but eventually went with the second option. After seeing the movie, I think they made the best possible decision. Kaori Nazuka is a veteran of the industry and she performs brilliantly to display Uta's full range of emotions. Ado might be an excellent singer, but I don't think she's good at dramatic acting (so far).

Considering that Uta's musical abilities are essentially a superpower, I think the difference can be explained in that regard. Personally, I didn't find it to be an issue.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I didn't know it was a musical.
Guess I'll skip.

To clarify: It's not literally a musical, because strictly speaking only one of the characters is going to sing. Not everyone in the cast.

That said...I imagine if you're more interested in a different type of movie or don't like the idea of hearing several songs, then that'll be up to you to decide.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Different voice to promote a vocalist instead of trusting the speaking voice, simple as that. I didn't like it in Macross either. Should just have the singing voice do both.
It's not like anime movies with original stories aren't using amateur VA either, so it's possible...
They did at least have Ranka's speaking and singing voice be done by the same person in Frontier, even though Sheryl's wasn't.

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I didn't know it was a musical.
Guess I'll skip.
I don't mind musical style movies but it became repetitive pretty quickly in this movie.

As a One Piece fan I thought the movie was pretty disappointing. The plot was nonsensical, Uta is a badly written character and it took way too long to get things going. It was mostly just a fanservice movie but even that could've been done better. The other recent OP movies did a better job in my opinion.

Deleted member 3924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk why being a musical would be bad, that would probably make it more interesting than the other movies.