Would you buy a $499 next-gen system at launch?

• Yes, price is irrelevant

Votes: 664 18.2%
  • Yes, if the tech justifies it

Votes: 1,328 36.5%
  • Yes, if the games justify it

Votes: 1,161 31.9%
  • No, $499 is too high, I will wait for a price cut

Votes: 795 21.8%
  • No, and it has nothing to do with price, I just don't want to buy a console at launch

Votes: 431 11.8%
  • No, I am not yet sold on a next generation console

Votes: 382 10.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so let's assume for a minute that the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett end up being priced at $499 at launch next generation. There are some people who feel that this happening is a distinct possibility. This is a ResetEra census: are you okay with buying a console a console at $499? Why or why not?

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Hell no. Still too busy playing my switch and enhanced versions of both current consoles to be bothered actually. I am okay with the price (if the tech is up to it) but I won't buy them at launch if they launch next year.

games are priority though. Fancy tech is nothing if the games aren't there.

Hu3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes if the technology and the software ie(games) are up to the task.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No. I don't even know if I'm going to bother with next-gen at all, but $499 or up is an absolute nope for me.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, Id probably wait a few years (or however long it takes) for a black Friday sale around $250. And just play PC games or old gen games I missed until then.

Deleted member 55568

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Zero interest in a launch console at any price. I'll show up the first time the PS5 slim has a Black Friday sale.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I will never spend $500 for a console. The PS4 wasn't even $500 and I didn't buy one until last year. I have a PC, nothing the PS4 or Xbox has to offer is enough to make me spend that kinda cash upfront.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
As someone with a powerful PC, I'm not touching next gen until there's an exclusive I really don't want to miss

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I like that "if the games justify it" is leading.

Spoiler alert: the games will not justify it at launch.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
For me 400 or 500 doesnt really matter. Its only 100 bucks differnce and i can easily afford it. Even more when you think about how long and how much you use it.
Also i trade in the Xbox One X for it. Wich probably gives more trade in money then a S. So lets say i am gonna pay 300 bucks for a next gen console. I am totally fine with that.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind paying if the games are there. That's really all that matters to me.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm not interested in a next-gen console at launch. Games will still be cross-gen for at least a year after the next-gen launch. I can wait.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Most likely but it'll depend on tech, games, and how much I can sell my PS4 Pro. I imagine I'll try to sell the Pro for $200

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll buy whatever SKU comes out for around $800. Extra space, maybe a bundle, maybe I will buy it with an online card, etc... I don't see myself thinking that any price would be too high for these consoles.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The unfortunate fact is that gaming is important enough to me that I would pay any asking price for the new system as long as I could afford that price.

Whether or not I can afford it is the only factor to the decision for me. So if I had the money, even if it was a ton of money, I would pay it.

I am a worm.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Nope. If the last few gens have taught me anything, it's that it's okay to wait.

The stuff I most want probably isn't coming until a year or two later, anyway.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Launch consoles tend to have quality control issues, so I'm not getting the first batch regardless of price.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes but 499€ is the most I would pay. But I also don't think MS and Sony are going to sell it for more than that.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Not a console gamer but I personally wouldn't bat an eye at $500 if it were my only option.

Beefier tech for a higher price point (as opposed to say $400) is an absolute no-brainer in the long run.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, console launches are usually crap. Paying the highest price to get the worse models (a precedent very much set this gen more than any other) with almost every time a very unexceptional roster of launch titles. Who knows maybe next year we at least get great games from the start but I'm not expecting it and the price is far too high to jump in on cross gen FIFA/CoD malarkey.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Only if my friend send it to me from US. In Brazil it would be unaffordable in official stores.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather it be cheaper, obviously but yes. I've done it before and I'd do it again. Assuming the games were there.

I spent that on an Xbox One at launch because I wanted to play Killer Instinct, Forza 5 and Dead Rising day one. On the flipside I didn't buy a (cheaper) PS4 day one because there weren't really any exclusives I was excited by. I eventually got one a little later when the library justified another console purchase for me. So price isn't really the factor - games are.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I gladly pay even up to 1k if it's justified hardware (and later software) wise. I rather have a powerful 500-700 machine that a 400 compromise to please everybody.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Nope, never buy systems at launch. There's usually some faultiness in the hardware or crappy launch titles

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
If the tech justifies the price point up to $700, I'm personally willing to bite, but I also say that knowing full well that it's going to take a huge hit to its perception in the mass market because most consumers don't evaluate the capability, only the accessibility, and price point is one of the most immediate barriers.

Also, I say as high as $700, because anymore than that and I just start considering a gaming PC instead at that price.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
500 USD would mean that it'd probably cost about 550+ euros over here.

I think I'd wait.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I buy a console when there are enough games near launch or launched to justifiy the price of the console.
And by that I mean "Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey already launched with Smash in the corner" justify the price of the console.

So for me to buy a 500 dollar console at launch it would have to be twice the best launch ever in terms of games ... so yeah, never happening.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
If the launch titles (exclusives only—I play multiplats on PC primarily) for PS5 are good, then definitely. If it has full backwards compatibility with PS4 games and includes enhancements for them like PS4 Pro, then it would make even more sense for me to upgrade. Still have a handful of PS4 exclusives to play through, not including the games I haven't picked up yet, and new release coming this year and next year.

Been tempted to buy a Pro (especially now that I upgraded to 4K), but at this point it doesn't really make much sense to.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Maybe an xbox as I wouldn't have to worry about spending another £100 or so on games at the same time.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
✓ Yes, because backwards compatibility renders launch drought moot, the main downside to early adoption besides price.

Your Fave

Alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think $499 for something I'll be using several times a week over the next 6 years is unreasonable.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I haven't bought a console at launch for years now.

Usually the problems of first round machines and a sparse library put me off.

It's a bit weird this time as new games fir previous gen will work so library is less of an issue. Any price over £400 is a probelm though.