Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nintendoeverything.com

Octopath Traveler surpasses 2.5 million units sold

Square Enix has announced that Octopath Traveler has sold over 2.5 million units worldwide both digitally and physically. They released this information via their official PR Twitter account, along with emphasizing that Bravely Default 2 is releasing on February 26, 2021. 本日は「25日」ということでOCTOPATH...
Square Enix has announced that Octopath Traveler has sold over 2.5 million units worldwide both digitally and physically. They released this information via their official PR Twitter account, along with emphasizing that Bravely Default 2 is releasing on February 26, 2021.

asano won

Oct 31, 2017
Did he really because where the hell is the budget increase for his games

I'm happy for him and I hope BDII does extremely well

but smfh SE

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
previous milestones:
August 2018 - 1 million
january 2019 - 1.5 million
march 2020 - 2 million

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for it but at the same time I'm surprised it managed to sell more than many other JRPGs despite being a new IP with very traditional gameplay and 2D sprites art

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Well deserved.

If you had told me a few years ago that a JRPG with "HD 2D" graphics and a super JRPG-y title like "Octopath Traveler" would go on to sell two and a half million copies, I'd have said you were...well, not well-connected to reality. And yet here we are!

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Well-deserved! One of my favorite JRPGs. Can't wait to see what they do in the sequel.

And SE, please take this as proof that people would love to play the prequel mobile game outside Japan...

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Very much deserved and a clear sign that there is a market for these old school JRPGs.

Really can't way for Octopath 2 !!

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
wow, thats great! Hope they recognise that this visual style is loved and they will be doing some remakes of older FF titels.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved, loved the game and would like to see something similar but a little bit more ambitious in story department.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Very much deserved and a clear sign that there is a market for these old school JRPGs.

Really can't way for Octopath 2 !!
Do you think it is in active development? Triangle Strategy is a different dev team under Asano, right? I wonder if he is also working on OT2 at the same time. Might be a bit much (BD2, TS, and OT2).

I sure hope it is, though. Best game of 2018.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Fun fact:

Octopath Traveler has now outsold almost every single JRPG on SNES. It has outsold Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Final Fantasy V and is close to outselling Dragon Quest V. The only SNES JRPGs that are probably unreachable for Octopath are Dragon Quest VI and Final Fantasy VI, which sold 3.2m and 3.4m respectively.

Wild for a game "inspired" by a certain era of JRPGs and leaning heavily on nostalgia for fans of those games to go on to be more successful than almost all of them 30 years later.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Fully deserved! I did like but not love it when i first played it. But after i returned to it, after taking a long pause, it finally clicked and the game became one of my all time favs.

ragnarok21

Nov 26, 2017
Glad to see this. I wonder then what are their expectations for Triangle Strategy. Maybe 1.5 million?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think it is in active development? Triangle Strategy is a different dev team under Asano, right? I wonder if he is also working on OT2 at the same time. Might be a bit much (BD2, TS, and OT2).

I think a lot of the production work is divided between Asano and Takahashi now.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Congrats to Asano and the team, I enjoyed the combat and OST, the story and dungeons should be the elements to improve for the sequel.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Great number for this kind of game, especially for a new IP.
Its about to outsell Chrono Trigger on the SNES lol.
Glad to see this. I wonder then what are their expectations for Triangle Strategy. Maybe 1.5 million?
I think all these titles are developed with a target of shipping 1m copies - everything else is a bonus.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
It could've been quite a bit more too. But too bad they don't care about several big markets on Steam with their non-existent regional pricing model.

The more I think about it, the more I don't want to reward them with a sale even at potential -75% sale on Steam where the price will still be ridiculous but at least affordable. I don't want to reward shitty publisher practices.

Oct 25, 2017
My gf was interested in this game, although I remember reading on here that the story was a drag, is that true ?

Either way, congratulations to the team, what a terrific milestone for this game!

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

I think it was pretty much confirmed two years ago:

Asano's plan was to have a game ready every year so I guess the initial schedule was 2020: BD2, 2021: Triangle Strategy and 2022: Octopath 2.

We'll see how things got impacted.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Very happy for the team!
With the tactics game announced and the mobile game coming, I wonder what the fate of a true sequel to this is? Surely one must be in development right?!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With the tactics game announced and the mobile game coming, I wonder what the fate of a true sequel to this is? Surely one must be in development right?!
they re-confirmed very recently that a sequel is in development
www.siliconera.com

Octopath Traveler: Conquerors of the Continent Will Regularly Add Content

Square Enix will regularly add more stories and characters to its new mobile game Octopath Traveler: Conquerors of the Continent.
  • "The development of an Octopath Traveler for game consoles is going to take a bit more time."

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Asano's plan was to have a game ready every year so I guess the initial schedule was 2020: BD2, 2021: Triangle Strategy and 2022: Octopath 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if Triangle Strategy is Q1 2022, so maybe Octopath 2 will be Q1 2023. Less than five years for a sequel wouldn't be too bad, with us also getting BDII and TS in the meantime. I think they'll manage to avoid a long gap like that between BD and BDII.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was pretty much confirmed two years ago:

I think 2021 would have been an off year if BD2 released in 2020, considering 2020 would have seen the release of both BD2 and Octopath Mobile otherwise.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Cool, it's a fantastic game.

Hopefully we'll see the mobile game released in the west, and I'm looking forward to the inevitable sequel & Triangle Strategy.

Last edited:

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
I estimate that for Switch it has about 2 million sales and the rest for Stadia and Steam.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Triangle Strategy is Q1 2022, so maybe Octopath 2 will be Q1 2023. Less than five years for a sequel wouldn't be too bad, with us also getting BDII and TS in the meantime. I think they'll manage to avoid a long gap like that between BD and BDII.

Yep, this is what I'm thinking (though Q1 for each is optimistic haha).

Asano has said that his team aims to put out one game a year, and they've confirmed multiple times that an Octopath Traveler sequel is in the works. Excellent news for us~

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
GG.
Loved it. (not the true ending boss, too long fight and last one too much based on a perfect team)

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Did he really because where the hell is the budget increase for his games

I'm happy for him and I hope BDII does extremely well

but smfh SE

But... Bravely default II is very, very clearly a higher budget effort than the previous bravely titles. Triangle strategy also seems like it's a bigger budget title too, though that's obviously more guesswork on my part.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
deserved, Asano really knows how to make high quality traditional JRPG with modern touches, I hope he and his team will keep on making great games.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Looks like it bombed on PC judging by the number of Steam user reviews. And no surprise given its launch price.. and it's STILL £50! Not sure what SE were/are thinking. The game could have been a huge hit with the Steam audience if it had launched at a more sensible price point.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like it bombed on PC judging by the number of Steam user reviews. And no surprise given its launch price.. and it's STILL £50! Not sure what SE were/are thinking. The game could have been a huge hit with the Steam audience if it had launched at a more sensible price point.
the price on steam, and terrible regional price on top of that, didn't do it any favor.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

There's something slightly humourous about the standard UK price for a retail game apparently being offensive to steam users. In any case it clearly didn't harm the games legs at all.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

Thankfully it went on sale for £24.99 over the Christmas holidays, so I picked it up then. It's getting increasingly rare that I'll pay £50 for anything these days, especially a game that was already out for a year on another platform previously.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
This seems to be insanely impressive to me for a HD2D game which is a totally new IP. Makes you wonder how a FF game like this would perform.

Theres definitely huge potential for this genre. Also seems a bit less risky than AAA development.