.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
As 2020 wound down, there were good reasons to believe that the death toll during the pandemic's first year might have been worse in red America. There were also good reasons to think it might have been worse in blue America.

Conservative areas tend to be older, less prosperous and more hostile to mask wearing, all of which can exacerbate the spread or severity of Covid-19. Liberal areas, for their part, are home both to more busy international airports and more Americans who suffer the health consequences of racial discrimination.

But it turned out that these differences largely offset each other in 2020 — or maybe they didn't matter as much as some people assumed. Either way, the per capita death toll in blue America and red America was similar by the final weeks of 2020.

It was only a few percentage points higher in counties where Donald Trump had won at least 60 percent of the vote than in counties where Joe Biden crossed that threshold. In counties where neither candidate won 60 percent, the death toll was higher than in either Trump or Biden counties. There simply was not a strong partisan pattern to Covid during the first year that it was circulating in the U.S.

Then the vaccines arrived.

They proved so powerful, and the partisan attitudes toward them so different, that a gap in Covid's death toll quickly emerged. I have covered that gap in two newsletters — one this summer, one last month — and today's newsletter offers an update.

The brief version: The gap in Covid's death toll between red and blue America has grown faster over the past month than at any previous point.

In October, 25 out of every 100,000 residents of heavily Trump counties died from Covid, more than three times higher than the rate in heavily Biden counties (7.8 per 100,000). October was the fifth consecutive month that the percentage gap between the death rates in Trump counties and Biden counties widened.

Some conservative writers have tried to claim that the gap may stem from regional differences in weather or age, but those arguments fall apart under scrutiny. (If weather or age were a major reason, the pattern would have begun to appear last year.) The true explanation is straightforward: The vaccines are remarkably effective at preventing severe Covid, and almost 40 percent of Republican adults remain unvaccinated, compared with about 10 percent of Democratic adults.

Charles Gaba, a Democratic health care analyst, has pointed out that the gap is also evident at finer gradations of political analysis: Counties where Trump received at least 70 percent of the vote have an even higher average Covid death toll than counties where Trump won at least 60 percent. (Look up your county.)

As a result, Covid deaths have been concentrated in counties outside of major metropolitan areas. Many of these are in red states, while others are in red parts of blue or purple states, like Arizona, Michigan, Nevada, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Virginia and even California.

www.nytimes.com

U.S. Covid Deaths Get Even Redder (Published 2021)

The partisan gap in Covid’s death toll has grown faster over the past month than at any previous point.

May 21, 2018
Conservatism no longer stands for any principle or policy. Only single-minded opposition to anything that is considered left-wing. Even if that thing is a life-saving vaccine.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dying to a preventable disease to own the libs.

Surely this will grant them victory in their culture war against science.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
360_F_359152054_4X4X04LpLsLDNmHEgEszf101kXokEXw8.jpg

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Sure would love to do that if it wasn't for a paywall. But I bet the fact that misinformation is free has nothing to do with this.
It's not really free, someone is paying for those producing misinformation. Whereas no one is paying for well researched and well presented information to be published freely.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Amateur sword jugglers dying in sword juggling accidents compared to those who avoid the hobby altogether.

"Stop sword juggling."
"No."
"Ok."

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this technically a version of Darwin's law in some aspects?

It's fucking insane that these people don't understand that they are actively choosing to put themselves and others at risk of death, to prove some useless and inaccurate point based on no evidence and 100% lies.

Or are aware, and don't care. Which should be fucking criminal.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Many of these are in red states, while others are in red parts of blue or purple states, like Arizona, Michigan, Nevada, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Virginia and even California.

Hate to sound morbid, but I wonder if the hits in purple states will have any sort of future alterations in elections....

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Amateur sword jugglers dying in sword juggling accidents compared to those who avoid the hobby altogether.

"Stop sword juggling."
"No."
"Ok."

More like:

"Hey you should stop listening to that crazy guy on the corner who keeps telling you to juggle chainsaws on a minefield."
"No and you should really try juggling chainsaws in a minefield unless you're a pedo."
"Ok."

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I made a point of this in a thread a few months ago. Red America is slowly killing themselves and the GOP/RW media are just encouraging their supporters to double down on it.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Someone please find me that awesome political cartoon of the Don't Tread on Me snake hooked up to a ventilator.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I made a point of this in a thread a few months ago. Red America is slowly killing themselves and the GOP/RW media are just encouraging their supporters to double down on it.

This is like a reverse Hail Hydra type event in Captain America: Winter Soldier. Except the GOP bad guys are fucking themselves from within, using embedded MAGA agents. Who are their own worst enemies.

Can't worry about losing to the Dems, if you beat yourself out of the equation, via death!

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017

Gop politics regularly leads to the death of their constituents. Lax gone laws lead to suicide, failure to expand Medicaid in states leads to health problems, banning legal abortion leads to more unsafe conditions. This is just the more immediate version.

Their constituents have substituted the tangible value of money and health with the so called emotional benefits of "freedom" and "owning the libs". While the rich suck up the money that would actually improve their lives.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Someone please find me that awesome political cartoon of the Don't Tread on Me snake hooked up to a ventilator.

400.png

Chokes patriotically on freedom tube.

One would assume GOP leaders and conservative news organizations might care about their constituents dying in record numbers, but I guess there's no stopping this death cult train.

Last edited:

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
let-them-die-star-trek.gif

I'm done with them. They don't want to believe in facts. They want to believe what they WANT to believe and nothing else. Covid can have them.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Conservatism no longer stands for any principle or policy. Only single-minded opposition to anything that is considered left-wing. Even if that thing is a life-saving vaccine.

It never stood for anything anyway, they've just dropped all pretence and dog whistles.
They're just trying to hold onto power before their base dies out.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
They don't want to believe in science...only when they are at death's door is when they want medical help. Biden should have announced a big fuck you to them.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
This isn't surprising, the hospital in the red county I live in is at 106% capacity as of yesterday, where a fourth are Covid positive (93 out of 366) and it's the same with many other local hospitals as well. It's gone on a "code triage" wherein they're full for the 3rd or 4th time in the past few months. 47% vaccinated against Covid. It's just horrifying

Not even mentioning that it's the only hospital within 45 miles or so with a trauma center. So if someone gets into a serious car accident they're basically SOL because of the anti-vax fucks