Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Had some chaos in the PNW last night...Many people passionate about racial injustice

www.nytimes.com

They’re Breaking Glass and Criticizing Biden. From the Left. (Published 2021)

As President Biden calls for unity and calmer rhetoric, his presidency began with burned flags and federal agents deployed once again into the streets.

PORTLAND, Ore. — Protesters in the Pacific Northwest smashed windows at a Democratic Party headquarters, marched through the streets and burned an American flag on Wednesday in a strident challenge by antifascist and racial-justice protesters to the new administration of President Biden, whose promised reforms, they declared, "won't save us."
In Portland, Ore., lines of federal agents in camouflage — now working under the Biden administration — blanketed streets with tear gas and unleashed volleys of welt-inducing pepper balls as they confronted a crowd that gathered outside an Immigration and Customs Enforcement building near downtown. Some in the crowd later burned a Biden-for-President flag in the street.
Another tense protest in Seattle saw dozens of people push their way through the streets, with some breaking windows, spray-painting anarchist insignia and chanting not only about ICE, but the many other issues that roiled America's streets last year under the administration of former President Donald J. Trump.
"No Cops, Prisons, Borders, Presidents," said one banner, while another proclaimed that the conflict over racial justice, policing, immigration and corporate influence in the country was "not over" merely because a new president had been inaugurated in Washington, D.C.

"A Democratic administration is not a victory for oppressed people," said a flier handed out during the demonstrations, during which protesters also smashed windows at a shop often described as the original Starbucks in downtown Seattle. The communiqués used expletives to condemn Mr. Biden and "his stupid" crime bill, passed in 1994 and blamed for mass incarcerations in the years since.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I am going to be that guy. *puts on tin hat*

But this

"We don't want Biden — we want revenge," said one sign, referring to killings committed by police officers.

feels less like this

more like this

en.wikipedia.org

COINTELPRO - Wikipedia

There's no black person going to make that sign, and no white person down with the movement that passionate about killing cops, lol

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco is experiencing a reduced law enforcement regime in San Francisco under Chesa Boudin.

It, uh...is not going well.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
They smashed a Democratic Party HQ and surrounded a federal building not long after some groups tried to seize the Capitol.

are we sure these protests werent organized by that plant whose brother is a leader in the proud boys?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh

1. Police overreacted
2. It's good to not be satisfied with Biden admin and protest ice

but good lord can we have a proper escalation of force for the new admin?

I hate to be the guy crying about optics in a protest but.... OPTICS

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this Portland stuff seems to totally lost the plot

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
They need to investigate who's setting this up. Make sure it's authentic and go from there.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
eh, we just had a national crisis 2 weeks ago. you shouldnt be starting shit while the country is still on edge.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Yeah something similar happened in Seattle... Read the room guys. Even I can't defend them. This just fed the far right in their justifications of antifa this and that.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was bad last night. Someone had a seizure because of the strobing lights and so much tear gas and munitions.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I am 100% on board to continue protesting as a way to keep the pressure on and remind the new administration of expectations.

But that doesn't seem to the be the goal of this one in particular.

That said, 200 people breaking some windows also doesn't really justify tear gas imo.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like a "blacks rule" protest. I don't think anyone on the left would make those signs.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Wait, so are they just anarchists, then? Not actually fighting for anything anymore but just destroying things out of anger?

Possibly.

imho tho...

Again, not to say there isn't leftist violence. But according the article it seems like very weirdly generic far left slogans (and tbh, anarchy isn't anarchy the way it's portrayed in media, less mad max, more commune). Gotta say one thing about the protests over the summer, they were razor sharp in messaging, this is...dems suck and we want to kill cops?

This was a group that wanted to fuck shit up, period, regardless of the politics they claim to have.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait for more information to come out, as I'm always hesitant on the initial reporting of sensationalizing just the bad actors in a protest.

However, considering everything that has happened in recent weeks, any type of violence from the protestors are just, insane, unless they were provoked and not the other way around. I'd still need a clearer timeline as the article doesn't provide a clear enough one for a clear response yet.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I am pleased to see energy still strong for BLM and for wanting true justice for oppressed groups but the message here I think is getting corrupted.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to get behind preemptive destruction of property. If the police did something then that's another story.

And this kind of shit just dilutes what people fighting for racial justice are doing.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Something about this doesn't pass the smell test. Why protest this now and not earlier in the wake of Biden winning the election? Why protest this here and now on the day of the inauguration in front of a federal building, when you know that 1/6 probably has federal agents in greater numbers and lower tolerance on this specific day? Why protest on this day at this place knowing that there might be violent fascists protesting Biden's election as well?

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I looked at more the pictures...No one uses the anarchy symbol expect people who think anarchists use it. There's something suspicious going on here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Something about this doesn't pass the smell test. Why protest this now and not earlier in the wake of Biden winning the election? Why protest this here and now on the day of the inauguration in front of a federal building, when you know that 1/6 probably has federal agents in greater numbers and lower tolerance on this specific day? Why protest on this day at this place knowing that there might be violent fascists protesting Biden's election as well?
Great point here. I guess these supposed Anti-Biden BLM protestors planned to link up with the Anti-Biden nazi's and hold hands?

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to entertain false flag theories unless there's compelling evidence. Otherwise it's just as much of a dishonest ego defense as people blaming MAGA violence on "antifa."

What I can say is that these people are being dumb as fuck and helping nothing.

Also this totally tracks with the anarchists I've known over the years, so I believe it.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are the types who want a revolution as they view it as the only answer to their demands. So violence and anarchy is their only play. They are no different then the leftists who wanted Trump for another term or even his first term because they viewed him as a tool to push their revolution.

These people need to be dealt with harshly. They are not allies. They are simply taking and essentially holding hostage things like BLM etc. all for their glorious revolution

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never fully understand the constant restlessness of political activists of all kinds in the PNW relative to those everywhere else in the country.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I'm not going to get behind preemptive destruction of property. If the police did something then that's another story.

And this kind of shit just dilutes what people fighting for racial justice are doing.

Police are constantly brutalizing communities. They've already done something. Not that I necessarily agree with the property destroying. But I wouldn't be upset over an ICE building being destroyed.

As far as I'm concerned the police did do something and justice has still not been served.

This.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
These are the types who want a revolution as they view it as the only answer to their demands. So violence and anarchy is their only play. They are no different then the leftists who wanted Trump for another term or even his first term because they viewed him as a tool to push their revolution.

These people need to be dealt with harshly. They are not allies. They are simply taking and essentially holding hostage things like BLM etc. all for their glorious revolution
Is there an ideological difference between anarchism and accelerationism?

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an ideological difference between anarchism and accelerationism?

accelerationists don't necessarily want anarchy. They want revolution, and there are those who want one-party authoritarian communist rule such as what some countries like China have.

but again, I'd like to reiterate we know that at least one right winger has infiltrated the PNW leftist activist circuit because his brother is leading factions of the proud boys (John Sullivan and James Sullivan).

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These people are on fed payroll. Remember the armed cosplay Black Panthers during the George Floyd protests? They were all outted as actors LOL.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
"No Cops, Prisons, Borders, Presidents," said one banner
If nothing else indicates that this is a "protest" that has wandered far from the plot established last summer, this does. I'm willing to bet that this crowd tearing up shit in Portland here are not "our people".

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to entertain false flag theories unless there's compelling evidence. Otherwise it's just as much of a dishonest ego defense as people blaming MAGA violence on "antifa."
I feel the same way. Politically disheartening the optics are, I'm not about to assume right-wing groups can secretly organize, disingenuously protest, and then get tear-gassed and suffer a seizure, all with flawless covert execution.