Status
Not open for further replies.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The NY Times Pitchbot has their work cut out for them.

www.nytimes.com

Trump and Allies Forge Plans to Increase Presidential Power in 2025

The former president and his backers aim to strengthen the power of the White House and limit the independence of federal agencies.

View: https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1681072563848466433?s=46

Donald J. Trump and his allies are planning a sweeping expansion of presidential power over the machinery of government if voters return him to the White House in 2025, reshaping the structure of the executive branch to concentrate far greater authority directly in his hands.

Their plans to centralize more power in the Oval Office stretch far beyond the former president's recent remarks that he would order a criminal investigation into his political rival, President Biden, signaling his intent to end the post-Watergate norm of Justice Department independence from White House political control.

Mr. Trump and his associates have a broader goal: to alter the balance of power by increasing the president's authority over every part of the federal government that now operates, by either law or tradition, with any measure of independence from political interference by the White House, according to a review of his campaign policy proposals and interviews with people close to him.

"Trump intends to become Dictator if are-elected" was too much for them

ArthurShelby

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 14, 2023
What's this guy's plan exactly to be the oldest dictator that ever lived? By the time he hypothetically does to all this he's gonna be like 85.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
i'm all for shitting on terrible headlines, but afaict tell that looks… like, a pretty good report? it's a straightforward explanation of the actual shit they're proposing and the consequences of it. it's not gossip and/or republican talking points.

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes i wonder if these news outlets want to curry favour with trump so they can become state sanctioned news outlets if he becomes prez and decides to outlaw free press

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The headline's fine. Often it's better to have a tonally neutral but undeniably accurate title rather than an editorialized one which makes subjective assertions. The article details how most of what they're planning on doing, all quoted directly from the figures involved, is illegal so they make it clear that none of this is a valid political theory.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
The headline and article is fine. Just because it's not Everything is On Fire doesn't mean it downplays the story. It's just a fact.

Not saying I wouldn't prefer a bit more targeted language here but it's not leading one way or another.

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with that headline, goodness me. Not every aspect of life has to be criticised.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Back to the 'may have said/done things with a racist slant but we can't say he's a racist' Trump headlines I almost laughed when I first saw it.

Everyone says it's fine, technically yes, but lets not forget this isn't the first dog and pony show that the paper of record has done carrying water. I remember 'Hope Hicks, It girl?'. I remember 'Barr runs the DOJ his way!', etc.

It's a 'person was attacked by a bullet and died in an officer involved shooting' ass headline.

Last edited:

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes i wonder if these news outlets want to curry favour with trump so they can become state sanctioned news outlets if he becomes prez and decides to outlaw free press

Same. All these major news outlets reported on the Trump admin when he was in power as if they feared losing access if they ever crossed the man. Even now that Biden is president, the possibility of re-election is probably still holding them back.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
What's this guy's plan exactly to be the oldest dictator that ever lived? By the time he hypothetically does to all this he's gonna be like 85.

That's sort of the point. His allies want this, not him I suspect. They want him to set them up for the next 50 years.
They won't be stuck with him for decades.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The issue I have is what's to say that's not what the next GOP President does, Trump aside? The GOP is full authoraritains now.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I think the bigger problem I see with this article is that it's not willing to ask "why". As in, literally asking the people they could interview what the motivations are. What programs they want to push where they need that power. By leaving that out, it creates the impression that this desire is just normal. The article even talks about FDR, which by association implies that this is just normal politics stuff. But being actually critical that might offend some people, so no, better just report on it as if this was just normal stuff. Not asking any inconvenient questions, no sir.
I find this obsession with neutrality deeply neurotic and irresponsible.

Royalan

Proud United Statian
Oct 24, 2017
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Never underestimate this country's, from its populace to its institutions, need for a Strong White Daddy.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
The headline is accurate and the story itself is incredibly worrying. Please refrain from making clickbait threads on incredibly important issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.