• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 18, 2018
The point I'm making is many people will throw them away and this law may be removing one thing from a landfill only to put a more dangerous thing in there.

I genuinely don't know if those totes do better or worse in a landfill.

Thats some great whataboutism, but plastic bag bans have existed for over 20 years and there are hundreds of studies showing that theyre effective in achieving their goals of a better environment.

The US, like in most things related to the environment, is far behind

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_lightweight_plastic_bags

1879px-Plastic_bag_legislation.svg.png

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So if I want to purchase more than two items from my corner bodega I need to walk all the way back to my apartment and up 5 flights of stairs to get my bodega bag, then walk all the way back to the bodega then walk all the way back to my apartment then climb up 5 flights of stairs again?

Yeah, that sounds like a real feasible scenario.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
So if I want to purchase more than two items from my corner bodega I need to walk all the way back to my apartment and up 5 flights of stairs to get my bodega bag, then walk all the way back to the bodega then walk all the way back to my apartment then climb up 5 flights of stairs again?

nah they will give you a paper bag. or you buy a plastic bag.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I use the same bags I bought in 2008. How is this a real issue?

Do you think plastic bags are made without energy?
If you've used them regularly since 2008, and they're not designer bags with a lot of superfluous material, then yes, in your case it's better than using plastic bags. But most people don't stick to using them for that long or have more than they need. I know for a fact that my own absent-minded ass would lose them within a couple of months if I used them daily. Scientists who have run the numbers found that you need to use them around ~330 times before their per-use CO2 emissions are as low as disposable PE bags

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I reuse mine all the time. And on the occasions where I don't have them on me, they're 10 cents so it's whatever. I also don't ever really throw them in the recycle because they're useful for other stuff like moving or donating clothes to goodwill and stuff

and they're pretty durable

Cool. Sounds like it works.

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

Yes?

You can buy a bag at the bodega (which I'm sure they will sell) or assuming you carry a backpack around for your commute, you can stash your tote bag in there.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
I've got those huge plastic bags for supermarket shopping, probably like £3 for three of them four years ago, still using them.
For corner shop trips, just take a bag I've already bought from there before as I leave the house.
I think bags are like 10p at Tesco, pretty amazing to see how much difference a (relatively) cheap price barrier makes, almost everyone I see either uses their own bags or carries stuff with their hands. Hardly see any littered around forests and alleyways now too. Kinda surprised this wasn't already a nationwide thing in the states.

Oct 26, 2017
no because this very politician blocked a proposal to make you pay for them, lol

Hmm. Haha. Well ok then.

Our supermarkets have a larger margin on plastic bags than any other thing in the store. So theyre happy and here we have always paid for them.

Recently clothing stores etc also gas started selling them.

All good.

Is this governors son the hottie Chris on CNN?

Jan 18, 2018
If you've used them regularly since 2008, and they're not designer bags with a lot of superfluous material, then yes, in your case it's better than using plastic bags. But most people don't stick to using them for that long or have more than they need. I know for a fact that my own absent-minded ass would lose them within a couple of months if I used them daily. Scientists who have run the numbers found that you need to use them around ~330 times before their per-use CO2 emissions are as low as disposable PE bags

They're 99 cent bags I got from Shaws when I went to college. I dont see how you even lose them?

And that study isnt very helpful. If you live in France, and your power is 70% nuclear, how much carbon is really being released when you manufacture something?

And why are carbon emissions important in the context of plastic that kills the ocean, kills animals, blocks storm drains, and causes havoc in a dozen other scenarios?

its like arguing against electric cars because derp herp there are coal power plants. Im sure youve heard that one. It's concern trolling.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
yup as well as people that live in apartments, as many NYCers do.
yes actually, in my predominantly white neighborhood

i live in brooklyn with houses, and most my neighbors during trash days i see them leave it out with the bought big black plastic bags.

That may be because of NYC codes.

"You can also put trash in securely tied heavy duty opaque (non-transparent) black plastic bags, such as yard waste bags. Bags should be at least 1.5 millimeters thick with a maximum weight of 60 pounds when full. Most standard kitchen bags are not heavy duty and should be placed in receptacles. Do not use white, blue, red, clear, or any colored bags for regular garbage."

Even though all us multi-unit building dwellers individually reuse supermarket bags as trash bags, building management then has to reseal everything in those heavy duty black bags before putting it out for collection.

I guess single-family homeowners have to do the same.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
And that study isnt very helpful. If you live in France, and your power is 70% nuclear, how much carbon is really being released when you manufacture something?
how much cotton is produced in france
And why are carbon emissions important in the context of plastic that kills the ocean, kills animals, blocks storm drains, and causes havoc in a dozen other scenarios?
this is still a good point of course, but encouraging people to re-use and then recycle plastic battles would solve that issue, without pushing people towards cotton bags

Jan 18, 2018

this is still a good point of course, but encouraging people to re-use and then recycle plastic battles would solve that issue, without pushing people towards cotton bags

Reduce
Reuse
Recycle

Thats the order you should do things. Using a bag twice isnt anything amazing. Better have it never created at all. recycling is also resource intensive.

Also, you dont need a cotton bag. You can purchase a tote made out of....recycled plastic bottles

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Reduce
Reuse
Recycle

Thats the order you should do things. Using a bag twice isnt anything amazing. Better have it never created at all. recycling is also resource intensive.

Also, you dont need a cotton bag. You can purchase a tote made out of....recycled plastic bottles
I don't really disagree with you. The first thing I said ITT on seeing the news was "good". I just personally think a surcharge is better policy than a ban

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Reduce
Reuse
Recycle

Why isnt reusing a bag twice better than BUYING a bag for the sole purpose of using it as a garbage bag? Either way a bag is getting used for garbage.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Manhattan, and I usually have a backpack on me when I go out since I have to carry my laptop around. I'll often have some Aldi plastic bags with me. One of the worst things about a lot of grocery stores here like c-town or fine fare is that they double bag absolutely everything, and split up items too much. So even if you're just getting medium amount of stuff you've used up six bags.

Trader Joe's is good since they use paper bags with handles, but Aldi is even better since they charge you per bag, giving an incentive for customers to bring their own.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
So long as they use bags for raw meat, it's not a huge deal. Though the penalty of going back to get bags without cars will annoy you all.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Nixon's got Cuomo wikipedia-ing every progressive act we should have enacted in the last two decades.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
So long as they use bags for raw meat, it's not a huge deal. Though the penalty of going back to get bags without cars will annoy you all.
Ah yes forgot about this. Using a reusable bag that you use to carry raw meat, milk that condenses and spills a bit is gross. After a month that bag is gross.

Wash it? now you are wasting water, electricity, detergent, etc.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
primary everyone

also is this the first time you guys have seen diablos991 posts? this kind of troll is his entire schtick

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada

Dude why are you so hung up on cotton bags.

They make extra thick reusable plastic bags that stores sell for like $1
Get a few of those and stop with this foolishness.

Jan 18, 2018
Why isnt reusing a bag twice better than BUYING a bag for the sole purpose of using it as a garbage bag? Either way a bag is getting used for garbage.

A few reasons.

1. Ever see a 13 gallon plastic bag stuck in a tree? Blocking a storm drain? Floating in the ocean?

2. Basic capitalism. What is free gets abused. What costs money gets used with more thought. You know whats better than reusing a bag twice? Reusing it 5 times.

How many trash cans are in your home? Probably multiple. Do you line them all up with plastic bags? Probably, theyre free, and you have 37,000 more of them in your kitchen under the sink.. And then on trash day, you just grab them all and take them out, right? You cant get rid of them fast enough.

Well, when youre paying for it, you might decide that the office trash can doesnt actually need a bag, because theres never any liquids in there. Just turn it upside down into the big bag.

Bathroom trash has 2 tissues? Maybe youll wait another week before throwing it out, because now youre paying for it.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
A few reasons.

1. Ever see a 13 gallon plastic bag stuck in a tree? Blocking a storm drain? Floating in the ocean?

2. Basic capitalism. What is free gets abused. What costs money gets used with more thought. You know whats better than reusing a bag twice? Reusing it 5 times.

How many trash cans are in your home? Probably multiple. Do you line them all up with plastic bags? Probably, theyre free, and you have 37,000 more of them in your kitchen under the sink.. And then on trash day, you just grab them all and take them out, right? You cant get rid of them fast enough.

Well, when youre paying for it, you might decide that the office trash can doesnt actually need a bag, because theres never any liquids in there. Just turn it upside down into the big bag.

Bathroom trash has 2 tissues? Maybe youll wait another week before throwing it out, because now youre paying for it.
Decent point and i could see it maybe being true in some circumstances, though non of it applies to me personally.

But lets look at some counter points. Maybe you don't have alot of trash on some weeks, or you are just not the type of person to have alot of trash, well now this big trash bag isn't fully utilized, but you are throwing it out all the same while only using a portion of it.

Now what about the bathroom garbage can, which is usually a small little one. You are going to want to line that up with a bag cause bathroom stuff is gross. you're not going to line it with big black bags right?

You can still consolidate trash from a small canister to another small canister to throw away.

Jan 18, 2018
Decent point and i could see it maybe being true in some circumstances, though non of it applies to me personally.

But lets look at some counter points. Maybe you don't have alot of trash on some weeks, or you are just not the type of person to have alot of trash, well now this big trash bag isn't fully utilized, but you are throwing it out all the same while only using a portion of it.

Now what about the bathroom garbage can, which is usually a small little one. You are going to want to line that up with a bag cause bathroom stuff is gross. you're not going to line it with big black bags right?

You can still consolidate trash from a small canister to another small canister to throw away.

Why are you throwing out a trash bag if its not full?

You line your bathroom bag with a small plastic bag. You then carry it to the kitchen bag and empty it out. You then return it to the bathroom with the same plastic bag. Unless youre having a heavy period, theres really no issue reusing the plastic bag.

These are really, really minor life changes. I dont see how asking people to modify their behavior in the smallest of ways is an issue. Our planet is in trouble. We managed to figure out how to shop and handle harbage for 50,000 years without small disposable plastic bags. We can move forward without them.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Why are you throwing out a trash bag if its not full?

You line your bathroom bag with a small plastic bag. You then carry it to the kitchen bag and empty it out. You then return it to the bathroom with the same plastic bag. Unless youre having a heavy period, theres really no issue reusing the plastic bag.

These are really, really minor life changes. I dont see how asking people to modify their behavior in the smallest of ways is an issue. Our planet is in trouble. We managed to figure out how to shop and handle harbage for 50,000 years without small disposable plastic bags. We can move forward without them.
You throw out trash bag weekly because of rotting food. Are you kidding me? I want you to experience not throwing away your kitchen gatbage for 2 weeks.

If i have many small canisters i can just as easily transfer gatbage from one to the other. I dont need a big garbage bag for that to happen

Im not opposed to changing my lifestyle for the better, but thats not the case here

People never look at the impact of changing things

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Would love a ban like this in Florida. Fucking plastic bags are everywhere and if you ask for paper bags at the supermarket, they look at your crosseyed.

Stanng243

Oct 25, 2017
I work at a train station on the weekends, and given the limited luggage, not everyone has room for the food and drinks they buy for the train ride. It will be interesting what happens if they pass this.

Muditā

Apr 21, 2018
I'll be damned before I bring my own grocery luggage.

I can relate to your feelings! That feeling of bringing all 10 bags in one trip is nice. I recently moved to California and have moved to the reusable bags though.

I have found the reusable bags can usually hold more items without the risk of breaking. And now when I go to the store, I put my items on the belt, then back in the cart without bagging. I then bag my stuff when I get to the trunk of my car because it's overall faster and less awkward.

It really isn't so bad!

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It's annoying to have to remember them.
I don't like having unnecessary junk in my car so I wouldn't agree to store a bunch of bags in there just in case I wanted to pick up groceries either. Not a fan of having to store them in my house either.

I'd legit stop shopping at a place if they didn't offer a better option than flimsy paper bags.

I'd most likely end up paying for those canvas bags at the store and then throw them in the garbage when I get home. Wonder if canvas bags are better for the environment when I throw them away than plastic.

If I absolutely had to carry something I'd buy a roll of my own palstic bags online and use those just to fuck with the assholes taking away the convenience of grocery shopping.

Do you seriously think that's what the goal is?

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
I'm Asian also, and I do this. I've never bought a garbage bag in my life. That's going to be a new thing if this bill goes into effect.

But everyone I know in NYC - regardless of their ethnic background - reuses supermarket plastic bags as trash bags.

Yeah that's gonna be a bit of a bother to lose. Only time I buy garbage bags is when I need the heavy duty ones for whatever reason.

Jan 18, 2018
You throw out trash bag weekly because of rotting food. Are you kidding me? I want you to experience not throwing away your kitchen gatbage for 2 weeks.

People never look at the impact of changing things

But, uh, thats exactly what I do?

Again, it just requires the most minimal of planning. Need to throw some food out? Ok, leave it in your fridge where it wont rot for 3 extra days until youre ready to trash it.

And if you have a food disposal unit in your sink, its not an issue at all.

People absolutely look at the impact of changing things. Again, this kind of ban has existed for DECADES in HUNDREDS of different cities.

What people dont do is think about how their small choices fuck over the planet when repeated in aggregate.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
But, uh, thats exactly what I do?

Again, it just requires the most minimal of planning. Need to throw some food out? Ok, leave it in your fridge where it wont rot for 3 extra days until youre ready to trash it.

And if you have a food disposal unit in your sink, its not an issue at all.

People absolutely look at the impact of changing things. Again, this kind of ban has existed for DECADES in HUNDREDS of different cities.

What people dont do is think about how their small choices fuck over the planet when repeated in aggregate.
Again doing all of that doesnt save us anything. We will still use the same amount of plastic.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fiber bags are great actually, it feels kind of retrograde to use plastic bags now. You just need to develop the habit of bringing them with you but it's honestly not hard.

Also please try to use bio degradable bags for dog shit.

Last edited:

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
the tax a plastic bags doesn't work, I still ask for them and pay 5 cents or 10 cents for 'em.

I used to them to put cat litter scoopings and then I dump the bag in the municipal trash bin across the street

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would be annoying.
I like to carry in my groceries like 8 bags to an arm and the paper handles don't support that kind of tension.

I'll be damned before I bring my own grocery luggage.

Well, you're part of the problem then. I own about 10 bags. I bring 3-4. They fold up nicely and can hold about 25 pounds of groceries each. If you can't make a sacrifice for your environment I don't know what to tell you.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
This is how it is in Seattle, and lots of people don't have cars. Works out fine. We've got a cupboard full of reusable bags and I normally just grab a couple whenever I'm gonna walk to the store.