Oct 27, 2017
That just sounds like that guy's voice. Maybe I'm biased because I'm from Baltimore, but no one's told me I have an accent

Oct 25, 2017
At first I was like, who is from where, but she made it clear the more she talked.

Fucking miss it up there.

My peoples.

Fuck Florida .

Dec 22, 2017
Baltimore native here. Our accent is the worst in the English speaking world.

Translation: "Are axe-ent is tha worst in tha inn-glish speakin' worlt"

Edit: THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THAN THIS. FIGHT ME

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went to college in MD and can confirm that sometimes it sounds like people are speaking another language.

Can you say water? wuuder? No, water. I'm saying wuuder.

lmao

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of words sound different in bmore and it definitely has its own accent.

Being 40 minutes apart there is actually a lot of words or phrases only used in Baltimore than DC and vice versa(lake trout- baltimore, bama-dc etc)... The neighboring City doesn't even copy it or speak similar. Being so close you wouldn't think this would be the case but it is.

Southern MD (not Eastern shore) has a unique accent as well.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's definitely not distinct or noticeable enough for people to identify it like the case with heavy NYC or Boston or Southern accents, for instance
Uh naw. It's real noticeable. I think a lot of people don't realize it's a Bmore accent when they hear it though because it is very specific to the city and you don't hear it much in media outside The Wire. But it is most definitely there. In my experience there's actually kind of two versions of it based on whether you're black or white. Black people tend to do the thing she's mentioning at the end where it sounds like "Burry" instead of "Barry". White people tend to over pronounce their O's where it sounds like "Oh-oo". Both do both to some degree though. Of course as with all accents, some people have it harsher than others. Snoop from The Wire is an extreme example for instance.

Last edited:

TheGameshark

Oct 27, 2017
Catonsville, MD
Baltimore native here. Our accent is the worst in the English speaking world.

Translation: "Are axe-ent is tha worst in tha inn-glish speakin' worlt"

Edit: THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THAN THIS. FIGHT ME
Lol the older folks in my family got the accent. Fortunately I was able to avoid most of it. I still butcher the absolute shit out of the words water and wash.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
I've now spent the majority of my life in Florida, I've accepted that I'm a Floridian now.

I should visit there more often. AT LEAST every other year.
I think I was only there until I was 2 and we moved to Chicago until I was 5 and I've been in Florida ever since. Haven't been back to either place. lol My job literally allows me to work from anywhere so I don't know why I've never considered this before. Seeing you first post had me like
giphy.gif