entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Really great year for movie posters. May cop some for my place. Design is at a very high point these days.

https://www.subtraction.com/2017/12/29/notable-movie-posters-of-2017/

2017-12-29-human-flow.jpg

2017-12-29-mother.jpg

2017-12-29-the-post.jpg

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I don't like the Post one at all to be honest, I think the giant names ruin it. I really like the mother! one though, wish they used it more.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
All the promotional material for The Last Jedi was gorgeous. Their marketing department did a great job.
rXoYOqyl.jpg

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All the promotional material for The Last Jedi was gorgeous. Their marketing department did a great job.
rXoYOqyl.jpg
I never understood the appeal or these character collage posters. They're not that great when compared to more artistic ones. They seem like the default for maximum value. There's a reason why it's used a lot in block busters.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood the appeal or these character collage posters. They're not that great when compared to more artistic ones. They seem like the default for maximum value. There's a reason why it's used a lot in block busters.
Great graphic design doesn't stop being great graphic design because it's a character collage.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great graphic design doesn't stop being great graphic design because it's a character collage.
It kind of does because there's not much originality in it. They're not bad but they don't enter great category because they did the current super popular poster design. Like, the original character collage posters are great due to their originality. Like, a lot of them don't even add their own vision to them it'a just "let's put em all on here and call it a day"

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Are we at the turning point when illustrators get paid to make posters again?

Are we finally emerging from the the low quality Photoshoped-promo-photomontage dark ages?

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we at the turning point when illustrators get paid to make posters again?

Are we finally emerging from the the low quality Photoshoped-promo-photomontage dark ages?

Most of the ones in this thread aren't the official theatrical posters. Artistic posters have always been made for most big movies but few studios have the balls to use them for the official theatrical poster.

Last edited:

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
From what I could find I think it is an official poster, it was done by a guy that has painted other movie posters in the past. I'm thinking this might have been some sort of special edition poster sent to a select number of theaters or promo/writer types.

The regular orange&blue art with sleeping Harrison Ford is hideous :D

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Most of the ones in this thread aren't the official theatrical posters. Artistic posters have always been made for most big movies but few studios have the balls to use them for the official theatrical poster.
It's a start. At least they're being paid to make movie posters again (unless they're duped into doing it for BS 'exposure').

A fellow illustrator / friend of mine regularly gets work from a film distributor to make film posters.
Sure they're not stuck on the sides of buses and cereal boxes, but they are shared online and are seen by a large group of folk.

YellowMoose

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
From what I could find I think it is an official poster, it was done by a guy that has painted other movie posters in the past. I'm thinking this might have been some sort of special edition poster sent to a select number of theaters or promo/writer types.
Just the fact that this poster was painted makes it even cooler. Was it done by the same guy who did the Indiana Jones posters, by any chance?

luca

Oct 25, 2017
This is the one that keeps coming to mind, and it's ingrained in my head:

wonder-woman-latest-pogpcc.jpg

Wonder Woman had a lot of great posters. The Last Jedi and Baby Driver had some nice ones too. And I like The Post one as well.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I think I like the Japan variant of the TLJ poster more because of how it just doubles down on the late-80s/early 90s look and makes the pew-pew lazors pop out more
http://i./i/pix/2017/11/01/23/45EB714A00000578-5041123-image-a-1_1509579914257.jpg

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last year had a whole lot of great posters, the poster for mother! is really striking to me.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Despite my problems with the movie, the 'It Comes At Night' poster is masterful. I've never seen a movie poster that unsettled me before, and in such a simple way.

Oct 27, 2017
spider_man_poster.jpg

This poster does a really good job of selling this new take on the character (young, carefree) while also emphasizing his role in the MCU (Avengers Tower off in the distance, representing his aspirations).