• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Amazon page (PS5) : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09Y7JV8JR/

81Wwyv3ev7L._SL1500_.jpg

Physical edition box (not final it seems):

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
I like that you considered this threadworthy

(It absolutely is threadworthy)

RelaxedSun

Oct 31, 2017
Have the switch ver but never got to play it yet. Think I'll go with this version due to the performance on Switch

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Not feeling it. Day one edition on the cover doesn't help either.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
Nice to hear otherwise. Was going to get it regardless, but it had bad word of mouth if that other thread is anything to go off of.

The story is really the only part holding me back from finishing it (only need to beat the final boss) so yeah if you don't care for that aspect go for it, it's a fun game otherwise.

Comparison for what it could look like on newer hardware
OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
They released PC grade screens by accident a while back so i can show you a comparison between what an "HD" version of NMH3 could look like

SWITCH
ZkZ7yoh.png

HD
UjH03Re.png

Switch
gNUbq11.png

HD
Ns3FZI2.png

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to hear otherwise. Was going to get it regardless, but it had bad word of mouth if that other thread is anything to go off of.
It's definitely far from the best it could've been and 1 is still my favorite; some clear budget concessions overall in the game, one or two typical Grasshopper design flubs, and it's obvious it had to be trimmed down, but as far as the game play itself is concerned that part still winds up being the best of the three, and it has some of the most memorable set pieces. On the narrative side I think TSA was so frontloaded with quality second only to Killer7 and The Silver Case that there was no way a bigger scoped game would've been able to compare to it in that regard (if anything TSA's introspective side was so nuanced that it practically pre-empts 3 with the knowledge that nothing ever goes as planned), so when going into the third game with the knowledge that it and TSA collectively make up a farewell to the series, it makes me respect that 3 was the one that was treated as more of a final hurrah to the characters and the media that inspired it. It's the one game that's clearly from a place of the designers finding peace with it, having as much fun as possible, and waving goodbye to their most storied series. And if nothing else I found that despite it's galactic scope, it managed to have a more consistent tone than 2 did.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
Not having picked it up yet, I would be impressed if they actually managed to come up with a story even worse than the one in NMH2.

As someone who has a lot of problems with big chunks of 2, the third game made me pretty nostalgic about it.

It's mostly a problem I have with the tone of the game that for me brought the whole experience down. it is of the whole series the only game that made me roll my eyes and wince for how unfun some scenes were.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who has a lot of problems with big chunks of 2, the third game made me pretty nostalgic about it.

It's mostly a problem I have with the tone of the game that for me brought the whole experience down. it is of the whole series the only game that made me roll my eyes and wince for how unfun some scenes were.
NMH3 had great scenes honestly at least narratively. NMH2 had a lot of gratuitous moments and scenes that i feel were not as meaningful. And if we compare FU vs Jasper Batt it's so different

you didn't like the diva? sonic juice? midori?

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ready to double dip on pc. Best of both worlds, got to play it portably, and now will replay it in 4k.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
NMH3 had great scenes honestly at least narratively. NMH2 had a lot of gratuitous moments and scenes that i feel were not as meaningful. And if we compare FU vs Jasper Batt it's so different

you didn't like the diva? sonic juice? midori?

Ill put this behind a spoiler just in case I guess, apologize english isn't my first language so I hope I can explain myself well enough:

It was just exhausting to have a game that was constantly more preoccupied in making self-aware meta jokes instead of grabbing the natural weirdness of the setting and characters and building from that, I don't need to be reminded constantly that this is just a game, and these are videogame characters. The first game made a zany and bizarre world that had it's own logic and didn't take itself too seriously without relying on meta humor and self aware references (yes, it had that but god not on 3's level).

I also feel like it was trying way too many things at once without really mixing them that well, TSA was a more concise collage of style and tone.

Henry being brainwashed by a marvel movie is the best thing that ever happened to his character tho.

Maybe I'm wrong in my opinion but the fact is that of four games, this is the one that has been the most exhausting and tiring experience.

Gacha Santa Alter

"This guy are sick"
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I prefer it over the original, but if I was in charge the cover would be that Akira homage from the soundtrack.

(Yeah they probably can't do that, but it's awesome.)

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
Game was great best playing one out of the bunch definitely will double dip for the ps5 version and aim for that platinum 😊

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
That art is fire.

Started a replay of the series last year on the Wii, and finished up a couple of months ago with TSA on the Switch. I was about to buy NMH3 on the switch before this announcement, but I guess I'm waiting for the end of the year. Also I find it really weird to announce a "day 1 edition" when we don't even know when day 1 is lol

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Bought it on Switch but haven't played it yet. 😭

Really wish these deals were disclosed before release. Facing a similar dilemma with Rune Factory 5 and whether a better PS4/5 version is going to release in the next 6-12 months or not.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bought it on Switch but haven't played it yet. 😭

Really wish these deals were disclosed before release. Facing a similar dilemma with Rune Factory 5 and whether a better PS4/5 version is going to release in the next 6-12 months or not.
If it's help, for rune factory there were only 2 games on non-nintendo hardware, a spinoff that also came out on ps3, and rune factory 4 special that was ported to the switch 7 years later and then the ps4 two extra years after that. So if there is a chance it comes out to PS, don't expect anytime soon.

Also rune factory 5 is not pushing the switch to its limits graphics wise at ALL, so if it does come, you probably should not expect any real tangible visual differences.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna go digital but I might have to go ps5 physical for that sexy box art

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Day one editions that include a bunch of junk you don't want are the worst. Just give me the case and disk, not a box of collectors goodies I'm going to throw in the bin. What a waste of resources and manufacturing.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
Day one editions that include a bunch of junk you don't want are the worst. Just give me the case and disk, not a box of collectors goodies I'm going to throw in the bin. What a waste of resources and manufacturing.
Then you can wait for the standard edition. Myself and others in the thread are excited for the additions, which are far more substantial than just random tat.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Then you can wait for the standard edition. Myself and others in the thread are excited for the additions, which are far more substantial than just random tat.
Which is dumb, just make both versions available for purchase rather than having to wait for a second print run that may not even come if the sales are low enough.

I know in the past these day one versions have still been up on retailers like 6-12 months later..

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Payback for Travis not getting a Smash invite

I really liked NMH3, but wished the cut content made it's way in somehow. Just weird seeing so much map that you can't access while thinking throughout the whole game it would eventually unlock.

Definitely has the best combat in the series though. There were some mob fights that felt more difficult than boss battles.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
One of my most wanted features in NMH3 was to have the open world come back. Once I played the game it felt like a monkey paw wish.

Seeing what budget they ultimately had I would rather it had been handled like NMH2/TSA and they had put the time/budget into making levels leading up to the bosses battles. Maybe putting more stuff in the open areas would have made it more satisfying to explore. Like more of those VN sections you could trigger.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They released PC grade screens by accident a while back so i can show you a comparison between what an "HD" version of NMH3 could look like

SWITCH
ZkZ7yoh.png

HD
UjH03Re.png

Switch
gNUbq11.png

HD
Ns3FZI2.png
These screens make the Switch version look better than it actually does on a tv. The image quality was pretty horrendous.

Edit: it might be because I'm on mobile.