• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
Do you know who I don't like? Developers who lie about what's actually in their game, and then go radio silent when the world finds out they lied. That's a pretty shit thing to do, and I don't like it.

You know what I also don't like? People who then try and make up fake excuses for why that developer lied to everyone, or pretend that because 2 years have passed we should never mention that lie again.

Call me crazy but I'm just not much a fan of bullshit, and people who defend bullshit.

Oh my God dude. Your point has been made. Just accept that the game is out and getting updated, move on with your life.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: System Wars
well since it's coming to XB1X i guess it's worth playing now! i don't know why i even bought it on PC...the experience will be much better on XB1X which is such a beast of a machine!!!

/s

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if people are more pissed at Hello Games now BECAUSE No Man's Sky has actually evolved into a great space sim.

As if they decided to skip the game for some personal or moral reason about lies or expectations or whatever happened at launch, and now that the game looks cooler than they even thought it could look, they are just bitter that they bailed out on it. That they really wish they could jump back into it without feeling some kind of self-hypocrisy.

It seems that their course of action is to spite their second guessing and double-down on hating the game in some kind of effort to prevent other people from jumping back in, or God forbid, FORGIVE HELLO GAMES FOR THEIR SHAKEY LAUNCH *GASP*.

Folks, NMS has become a great game. It has lived up to almost every pre-launch promise and even offered more features that weren't even suggested prior to launch. And the upcoming NEXT update sounds like it's about to fulfill the last couple promises that the game originally suggested AND add even more stuff we don't even know about.

HG is still invested in this game 2 years later. They are still expanding it into other markets and platforms.

THEY ACTUALLY CARE AND HAVE MADE THE GAME BETTER.

Why not just celebrate that? Why can't people move on?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Well Murray did say the following around release:

I agree though that this is speculation only and shouldn't be treated as fact. Could be that NDA prevented them from saying anything about missing features. Could also be that they just didn't handle communications correctly because they fucked up. Who knows.

Yeah, actually there was an interview like a day after PS4 launch where someone was asking him about the Xbox version, and it went like this...
--------------

Xbox One owners understandably could be a little jealous that a game of such incredible possibilities hasn't been released on the Microsoft console.

However whether the game is a PS4 exclusive or whether this was a timed exclusive that might one day come to Xbox One.

So when we spoke to Hello Games Sean Murray, the man responsible for creating No Man's Sky, we asked him and received a rather coy response for what we assumed was a very straightforward question.

In response Murray told us he wasn't sure what he was "actually allowed to say" at the time, noting that he needed to be "very specific with my words".

Before going any further though, Sony's rep stepped in to move the interview along, explaining that at this time there was nothing more to add.
https://www./tech/gaming/537409/No-Mans-Sky-Xbox-One-release-steam-pc-PS4

Sony definitely had a lot of power in controlling what he could talk about.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Do you know who I don't like? Developers who lie about what's actually in their game, and then go radio silent when the world finds out they lied. That's a pretty shit thing to do, and I don't like it.

You know what I also don't like? People who then try and make up fake excuses for why that developer lied to everyone, or pretend that because 2 years have passed we should never mention that lie again.

Call me crazy but I'm just not much a fan of bullshit, and people who defend bullshit.

Developers pull the same shit every time. Look at the reveal trailer for any Ubisoft game and you'll see that it's nothing like the final game.Metal Gear Solid V had shit that get cut from the final game. It's everywhere in today's industry. Just recently Sea of Thieves got flack for having the kraken being just some tentacles and competently underwhelming. Should Sean have been completely honest and said, "Well we are currently working on implementing multiplayer but we don't know if it will be here in time for launch"? Sure that would of been better but he was a single guy leading the PR for a game that got too much hype and he thought he could implement everything in time. That's not bullshit it's just the unfortunate reality. They took the criticism and went too work releasing free updates to satisfy their player base.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
You'll probably find it for 20-30 in stores, and probably a Steam Sale coming before or at the update. Every time there's a new update for the game, PSN and Steam see a discount
on what platform?

steam = £40/$60
psn = £35/$60

for whatever it's worth i paid £10 for it on PS4 and £15 on PC. they usually have it on sale when a new update is our. not sure about this as it seems much bigger.
I see, thanks.
Pretty wierd for the game to still be 60$.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As for the actual update now that I'm home: they need to seriously rework the terrain generation. The pre-release planets just looked so much better and more interesting than the ones we have today, and I can't pinpoint why exactly:

Oria-v-1.png

Oria-v-3.png

Oria-v-caves-2.png

Caves.png

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

oooooh, color me intrigued. And what are your likes?

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite all the nonsense hate for this game, is there actual multiplayer now? Like coop or no?
kind of. 1.3 patch added:

JOINT EXPLORATION
  • Glitches in the simulation have begun to appear.
  • Visualised by strange floating orbs, up to 16 players can see and communicate with one another, and explore the universe together.
  • While interaction with others is currently very limited, this is an important first step into the world of synchronous co-op in No Man's Sky.
  • While interaction is very limited, VOIP (Voice over IP) allows proximity based voice chat with other nearby explorers.
  • Use portals to quickly travel to more populated planets, or to meet up with friends.
They did say with future updates they would improve it.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

If you actually cared about it, you would read the thread for the explanation instead of singling a user out to threaten mod action, Jesus.

What is up with NMS threads? Unbelievable.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony regrets it big time, one of the biggest clusterfucks in gaming history and associated with Playstation brand.
eh when I think of Playstation I think of Uncharted, Horizon, The Last of Us.

No Man's Sky isn't a completely exclusive Playstation game. It came out on PC too. They could've dealt with it better for sure but I don't think it tarnishes the PS brand at all.

Earendil

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
Well I give them a ton of credit for supporting the game for so long after release. They could have easily just taken the money and run after all the launch shenanigans. Looking forward to see what's in this update.

Oct 27, 2017
kind of. 1.3 patch added:

JOINT EXPLORATION
  • Glitches in the simulation have begun to appear.
  • Visualised by strange floating orbs, up to 16 players can see and communicate with one another, and explore the universe together.
  • While interaction with others is currently very limited, this is an important first step into the world of synchronous co-op in No Man's Sky.
  • While interaction is very limited, VOIP (Voice over IP) allows proximity based voice chat with other nearby explorers.
  • Use portals to quickly travel to more populated planets, or to meet up with friends.
They did say with future updates they would improve it.
Oh cool, they're actually finally adding multiplayer? It's only like $30 now right?

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I give them a ton of credit for supporting the game for so long after release. They could have easily just taken the money and run after all the launch shenanigans. Looking forward to see what's in this update.
Yep, same! They could've ran and moved on but they really seem to care about this game and are committed to making it better. The game has improved quite a bit since launch and this next update seems more than just a simple patch. I think this more of a remake. The game might not be perfect or what was initially promised but I'm happy to support them and keep playing.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Despite all the nonsense hate for this game, is there actual multiplayer now? Like coop or no?

Right now there is only "lobby" multiplayer, which was added in the last Atlas Rises update. You can be in the same solar system with a bunch of other players and there is near-field VOIP. However, you only appear as glowing orbs at this time to other players. I think you and another player can create a "monument" on a planet together, which other players can see, but that's about it for now. HG stated that was just a sliver of the foundation of multiplayer and that more was coming.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

This is how I imagine you responded to seeing this thread title.

"Huh..wait, No Mans Sky is coming to Xbox One?! Well, I better get in there and make sure everyone knows about something that happened 2 years ago and how awful it is before anyone mistakenly buys this game!"

*puts on cape*

Honestly if you don't care and don't like it, I don't think you have any real purpose in this thread for people who care, like it, and are excited about it coming to their platform. Maybe you can take to twitter to vent your undying rage? Somewhere other than a thread for people who want to talk about the game, and not about the PR mishaps from 24 months ago that have almost all been rectified through content patches?

Just a thought. It might help you blow off some of that steam and have normal, reasonable conversations again.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you actually cared about it, you would read the thread for the explanation instead of singling a user out to threaten mod action, Jesus.

What is up with NMS threads? Unbelievable.
Please point me in the direction of the explanation for why Sean Murray lied about a bunch of features being in the game that were not actually in the game.

This is how I imagine you responded to seeing this thread title.

"Huh..wait, No Mans Sky is coming to Xbox One?! Well, I better get in there and make sure everyone knows about something that happened 2 years ago and how awful it is before anyone mistakenly buys this game!"

*puts on cape*

Honestly if you don't care and don't like it, I don't think you have any real purpose in this thread for people who care, like it, and are excited about it coming to their platform. Maybe you can take to twitter to vent your undying rage? Somewhere other than a thread for people who want to talk about the game, and not about the PR mishaps from 24 months ago that have almost all been rectified through content patches?

Just a thought. It might help you blow off some of that steam and have normal, reasonable conversations again.
Since you seem desperate for my attention and a direct reply, here goes.

I didn't post in this thread until I saw people attempting to rewrite the story of how this game launched without a bunch of big features that were promised to be in the game. People pulling stories out of their ass to defend the behavior of Sean Murray.

It's one thing to say you think NMS is a worthwhile game in 2018, and I would never question such a statement. It's fine that some people really like it. I only stepped in to question people making up their own version of events, or creating conspiracy theories for why Sean Murray couldn't tell the truth all along. That kind of stupid should be called out every single time.

Last edited:

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool, they're actually finally adding multiplayer? It's only like $30 now right?
well 1.3 came out October 2017. Next should improve on it quite a bit as that's what they said they'd do with future updates.

i'm in the UK but looking at Steam/PSN it's going for $60. not got any idea about physical copies in retail. usually the game goes on sale when there is a new update. If you don't wanna pay $30 then i'd hold out for a while longer. Likely they will be another sale. Remember, Summer 2018 is UK so it might be some months yet before this update comes out.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, actually there was an interview like a day after PS4 launch where someone was asking him about the Xbox version, and it went like this...
--------------

Xbox One owners understandably could be a little jealous that a game of such incredible possibilities hasn't been released on the Microsoft console.

However whether the game is a PS4 exclusive or whether this was a timed exclusive that might one day come to Xbox One.

So when we spoke to Hello Games Sean Murray, the man responsible for creating No Man's Sky, we asked him and received a rather coy response for what we assumed was a very straightforward question.

In response Murray told us he wasn't sure what he was "actually allowed to say" at the time, noting that he needed to be "very specific with my words".

Before going any further though, Sony's rep stepped in to move the interview along, explaining that at this time there was nothing more to add.
https://www./tech/gaming/537409/No-Mans-Sky-Xbox-One-release-steam-pc-PS4

Sony definitely had a lot of power in controlling what he could talk about.
Huh, thanks for the link.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if people are more pissed at Hello Games now BECAUSE No Man's Sky has actually evolved into a great space sim.

As if they decided to skip the game for some personal or moral reason about lies or expectations or whatever happened at launch, and now that the game looks cooler than they even thought it could look, they are just bitter that they bailed out on it. That they really wish they could jump back into it without feeling some kind of self-hypocrisy.

It seems that their course of action is to spite their second guessing and double-down on hating the game in some kind of effort to prevent other people from jumping back in, or God forbid, FORGIVE HELLO GAMES FOR THEIR SHAKEY LAUNCH *GASP*.

Folks, NMS has become a great game. It has lived up to almost every pre-launch promise and even offered more features that weren't even suggested prior to launch. And the upcoming NEXT update sounds like it's about to fulfill the last couple promises that the game originally suggested AND add even more stuff we don't even know about.

HG is still invested in this game 2 years later. They are still expanding it into other markets and platforms.

Speaking as someone who's engaged in this pointless hating at times (about other things), it's a sunk cost fallacy.

Basically, after you spend SO MUCH time bitching and hating on something, you realize that if you stop, you basically just admitted that you wasted a ton of time being an obnoxious dick. This often results in you just doubling down on your complaining and hating to justify to yourself all this time you're already wasted.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The last update was pretty damn massive. It included a story, a new alien type, a couple new planet biomes, missions, and the stargate devices that can take you to planets with other players.(and other players are seen as a blue orb)

So it will be impressive if this is indeed bigger than the other updates. Cool to see this coming to Xbox One as well. Game will likely look great on the X.

Yes, it was mess at launch, but the updates have really improved it.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017

As someone who has been playing NMS off and on since the newer updates and actually enjoys the changes, I think this is where I am with Hello Games. The point where it breaks down for me is when people just cannot stop from trying to rewrite history so they can pretend like Sean Murray didn't do anything wrong or they go on and on with these incredibly convoluted arguments along the lines of "but like when you break it down, did he actually lie? I mean, sure that looks like a pretty blatant lie but how do we know that he really meant to lie? What does the word 'lie' really even mean tho? If we use my own definition of the word lie, then he didn't really lie at all. Think about it maan."

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
As for the actual update now that I'm home: they need to seriously rework the terrain generation. The pre-release planets just looked so much better and more interesting than the ones we have today, and I can't pinpoint why exactly:

Oria-v-1.png

Oria-v-3.png

Oria-v-caves-2.png

Caves.png
I agree. Especially the earliest trailers that had sort of a more pastel look to them, and whatever they had going on with the generation. Too bad some of that seemed to get lost in the flood.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
I held out at launch with purchasing the game because of the backlash, but bought the game three weeks after the release and had a solid time with it.

Most of the backlash was unreasonable like multiplayer,where the chances where always next to zero,with zero interaction to begin with. That's what was stated, and going from a Million in one to zero didn't change much for most people. Same with the skybox. Why would you want to fly years in real-time? Doesn't make sense and isn't anything more than a sidenote. Planets not orbiting the sun is the same.

My bigger problem for example was the terrain generation,which has been boring. The gameplay loop was a bit lacking but all in all it was a solid game with impressive tech and awesome music. The big updates addressed all of my criticism and then some and it went on to become one of my favorite games this generation.

The hate the devs got and like seen in this thread still get are on the same level as gamergater and the bullshit some people spout are biggest lies surrounding the game.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Please point me in the direction of the explanation for why Sean Murray lied about a bunch of features being in the game that were not actually in the game.

I didn't post in this thread until I saw people attempting to rewrite the story of how this game launched without a bunch of big features that were promised to be in the game. People pulling stories out of their ass to defend the behavior of Sean Murray.

It's one thing to say you think NMS is a worthwhile game in 2018, and I would never question such a statement. It's fine that some people really like it. I only stepped in to question people making up their own version of events, or creating conspiracy theories for why Sean Murray couldn't tell the truth all along. That kind of stupid should be called out every single time.

What exactly is the conspiracy? That Sean Murray anticipated features in the game that he wasn't able to implement in time? You say lying as if he had some malicious motive to purposely spread lies about the game. The game got put out early. It's as simple as that.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
How do people get so pissed about losing $60 almost 2 years ago? It's like someone stole their money and also punched em in the crotch. While we may disagree with how much we enjoyed the game at launch, the hate that people hold onto over a game is insane.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot believe Sean Murray hasn't invented a time machine and gone back and delivered the game he promised me. How dare he continue to support and update the game. I demand he answer for his lies on this forum right now! I DEMAND it!

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Why? Why do you feel the need to spend that energy? Especially since you read the thread and saw the other side of the pendulum regurgitating crap arguments from years ago. I'm honestly flabbergasted why you're so emotional about something you don't like that you ended up discussing it in a thread about another free major update that's also coming to Xbox?