Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
This is just stupid at this point. Both companies offer a cheaper system without a disc drive, and it takes up a huge amount of space inside the consoles. I know the companies make more money long term on the digital only systems, but in the Series X case MS is forcing people to always have the option to buy a disc if they want the high end system.

Just sell it externally, or allow people to plug in an external Blu Ray drive, and let them pay then for the licensing needed to have the app on the system. It be a win for everyone

-All customers will be incentivized to buy digital
-All players can play and use discs, if they want
-Cost of system will go down
-Consoles are smaller and easier to ship
-Inventory is easier to manage
-Drive speed no longer matters as it is only used to install or copy data to the system
-DRM would be an issue, but surely that can be worked around.

Edit: So to clarify, I am not saying no more discs for systems, just sell 1 model of each system, without a drive, and have either 3rd party support or first party support for external hardware to use a disc if you want.

Basically, just sell the PS5 Digital for $400, the Series X for $400 with no disc driver, and the Series S for $300. Then sell a $100 disc drive for each system (unless third party drives for cheaper are allowed to be used). The consumer pays the same amount, no one is locked into not being able to use discs because they only had a certain system available when they bought or received it as a gift, and if a disc drive breaks, you don't have a busted console that needs to be repaired.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
You're wrong but you're allowed to have your thread.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I think this opens them up to more issues, malfunctions, access points for hacking, extra QA. Plus the extra shipping and manufacturing considerations, I really don't think this is worth it to add this extra complication.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
No thanks. Sorry, but I don't want to only buy digital and have to purchase a console then god knows a definitely scalped CD addon like a frickin' Genesis, and then that incentivizes even less physical games already. No thanks.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
No OP, you are wrong

Cost of system will not go down because there isn't another SKU to compare the price to

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I am having flashbacks

xbox_hddvd_0.jpg

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Nah
I need my drive for bc games and dont want an accessory. Give me a fully featured device. It's already annoying with laptops/pcs not coming with them

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
What are the logistics of MS allowing you to connect a Blu-Ray disc drive to a Series S and letting you playing games?

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Both platforms give the option of disc version and a digital version. Just get the one that works for you.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you guffaw at this, but I'd be shocked if next-gen consoles even have a standard disc drive. All-digital is the future whether we want it or not.

Jorden1506

May 29, 2018
Netherlands
This won't work on so many parts. The different drives they need to test would be insane. QA and support updates would become a pain. Also it would be freaking ugly to have a separate disc drive next to it.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The actual solution is to go back to cartridges, but no one wants to do that because they'd cost more.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
The disc drive isn't causing the Series X to be $150 more expensive and two pounds heavier than the Series S.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I mean, it's not a *terrible* idea. But as someone who had both the Sega CD and 32X, as well as the HD-DVD Drive for the Xbox 360 - there comes a point when you don't want a bunch of extra shit plugged into your console with the exception of maybe an external drive.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What could go wrong in allowing software to be run from an external device through a very well documented and open standard like USB...

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
This is so wrong I've just had a chuckle.

Real world isn't ready for no disc. Especially some parts. And removing a disc option just limits your purchasing choice. Adding as a peripheral is cumbersome and more expensive overall.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I could actually see this being the stop-gap for all digital future. Like the PS5 Slim only has a digital model and you can buy a USB disc drive if you want one.

I would find it weird if Sony released two SKUs of PS5 Slim and if they DID do a PS5 Slim with a disc drive, are they gonna drop it to $400? What happens to PS5 digital? This gen especially I find the two SKUs to be a bit weird with Slim/Pro models, so I could so see something like this.

Last edited:

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing this will be the case with the PS6 (and then the PS7 won't even offer a drive option).

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
If they did this, no one except for enthusiasts would buy the external disc drive. Physical sales would be really low, retailers would stop ordering physical games, and they'd become a niche thing sold in small quantities through websites like LRG. Which would suck for those of us who like physical.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is just stupid at this point. Both companies offer a cheaper system without a disc drive, and it takes up a huge amount of space inside the consoles. I know the companies make more money long term on the digital only systems, but in the Series X case MS is forcing people to always have the option to buy a disc if they want the high end system.

Just sell it externally, or allow people to plug in an external Blu Ray drive, and let them pay then for the licensing needed to have the app on the system. It be a win for everyone

-All customers will be incentivized to buy digital
-All players can play and use discs, if they want
-Cost of system will go down
-Consoles are smaller and easier to ship
-Inventory is easier to manage
-Drive speed no longer matters as it is only used to install or copy data to the system
-DRM would be an issue, but surely that can be worked around.
Yes, this idea is very dumb.

Legend J 858

Oct 25, 2018
This thread and topic just FAILS and is so BAD and it's not even funny.

Once Microsoft and Sony eliminate disc drives completely from consoles. That will give them and the game developers and game publishers the power to control and jack up game prices and offer zero or very little game discounts.

Also not being able to trade or sell back physical copies is bad for the consumers.