Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
hac-photo-drm-primconsole1.png

• You can log in with your Nintendo Account on multiple consoles.
  • Just like PS4, there can be one primary system and multiple secondary.
  • While using the primary console, any user account on the console can play the downloadable content you have purchased.
    • While using the primary console, you do not need to have an active Internet connection
  • You can change which Nintendo Switch console is your primary console but you must first deactivate the current primary console.
  • While using a non-primary console, you must have an active Internet connection to play downloadable content.
    • If you lose your Internet connection while playing downloadable content on a non-primary console, your game will pause after a certain amount of time; however, once you connect online again, you will be able to resume from the point you left off.
  • While using a non-primary console, downloadable content can only be started by the user that purchased the content.
  • When using downloadable software on a non-primary console, your game will pause if your Nintendo Account is used to access downloadable software on any other Nintendo Switch console.

Also Nintendo now allows deactivating your primary console through a website! No longer need to call them

• Off-device deactivations can be done by visiting accounts.nintendo.com, selecting "Shop Menu", and then "Deactivate Primary Console".
Only once per year you can do Off-device deactivations

More info here: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22448

Last edited:

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! Thanks Nintendo, better late than never!

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Nintendo's PR continues to be atrocious...
How the hell did they not think of even letting people know about this? This is HUGE

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We've known this for a while haven't we? I definitely remember hearing this would be added alongside the online service some time ago.

MWorldII

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Looks like it works just like on PS4.
But require active internet on Switch for non-primary console is kinda didn't working for me.

Switch is great in portable and so many times i didn't have an active connection.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a nice feature. So I can be over a friends, log into my account, and download say a party game?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I know people were wanted this, but do note, if you want 2 consoles to be playing at the same time the primary needs to be offline while the secondary has to be online(for the entire session)

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Here's my understanding of the restrictions: https://twitter.com/legendoflex/status/1042213935183618048

Switch 6.0 update includes digital game-sharing w/ a non-primary console.

Restrictions:

- You must be connected to the internet to play digital content on a non-primary system

- You can't play digital content from the same account on two systems at the same time.

Also, only your Nintendo Account user can access your games.

Oct 27, 2017
This is actually a bigger deal than people realize. One, this will be very useful for families with multiple Switches, especially since Nintendo wants to sell a console to everyone in the household. And two, it shows that modern Nintendo is willing to listen to fan feedback more swiftly. Game sharing was a requested feature back in the Switch's launch and just a little over a year later we now have it. This is why I'm hoping Nintendo grows the online service as it progresses. Being a paid service should put even more pressure on Nintendo to add features overtime.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
So if my brother buys I game, I can play it on my console if his user account is on my console as well?

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow! Game changer, i'm going to buy a Switch for wife right now.

No. They never mentioned it until now.
I truly am 99% sure I remember reading this somewhere, or at the very least something that heavily implied it, I'll try finding it.

EDIT: well that was easy, in an FAQ section for Nintendo Switch Online that was posted in May it mentions that you will be able to use the same account on multiple systems, something that was not possible until now and obviously implies being able to play the games. Here's an article that was made about it at the time http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._account_on_multiple_nintendo_switch_consoles

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
https://twitter.com/legendoflex/status/1042213935183618048?s=21

Switch 6.0 update includes digital game-sharing w/ a non-primary console.

Restrictions:

- You must be connected to the internet to play digital content on a non-primary system

- You can't play digital content from the same account on two systems at the same time.
Does that second bullet point mean you can't play the same game on two systems or any digital content at the same time? If the latter that is lame

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
System is identical to Steam Family Sharing. On Steam you can't play on two accounts at the same time and you can't access the content offline.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck
Why didnt they said this was coming. This is actually a big deal. Lmao nintendo

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
This is pretty cool. Better late than never. Surprised they didn't advertise this feature beforehand.

Funnily enough, I was just thinking the other day "wouldn't it be cool if Nintendo added this to the 6.0 update". They even implemented it the exact way I figured they would, too, with an always online requirement for non-primary systems.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now what if this is say, Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee? Will the save file transfer? Or will it be a whole new save for that family member to have and play?

Or is it not available at all for game share?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
This seems like a big-ish addition to not tell anyone about before hand
Too bad it requires you to update to v6.0.0, AND, wait for the backend servers to be updated with this feature, in order for Nintendo to then approve and submit this on their support page.

The reality is, they cannot submit and publish a support page when a feature isn't available. Switch Online is available, but this feature is part of the firmware, hence it's not included with the Switch Online. (Only referring to support help pages.)

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo now allows deactivating your primary console through a website! No longer need to call them

• Off-device deactivations can be done by visiting accounts.nintendo.com, selecting "Shop Menu", and then "Deactivate Primary Console".

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Nintendo now allows deactivating your primary console through a website! No longer need to call them

This is the real banger

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Please add to OP in boldfaced text.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018

Yet another MEGATON that somehow went through the advertisers heads...
What's wrong with Nintendo?