Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
I wouldn't really talk about this but everywhere im looking everyone is talking about it (news online)

I wonder whats up?

Lock if already discussed please.

Nintendo Co. suffered its biggest two-day drop in 18 months, befuddling analysts and sending investors scrambling to explain the sell off.

Shares tumbled 6.3 percent on Monday after losing 4 percent on Friday, the largest two-day decline since December 2016. The drop left the stock at its lowest level since September and at its biggest discount versus Wall Street targets in nearly a decade.

620x-1.png

Analysts reported getting dozens of inquiries on Monday from hedge funds and investors eager to understand the sell off. Theories ranged from falling expectations for positive surprises at next week's Electronic Entertainment Expo conference, known as E3, to troubles with Nintendo's online games. Many also pointed to quantitative traders selling on weakening momentum, although short-interest remained low by historic standards.

"What is shocking is that recently there has been a lot of good news related to Nintendo," Jefferies Group analyst Atul Goyal wrote in a report to clients, blaming the drop on traders who rely on technical chart analysis to make investment decisions. "Nevertheless, if chartists are giving a diametrically opposite view, we take this as an opportunity to reassess and review."

Among the key technical signals, the stock fell through its 200-day moving average last month. That's the first time it has traded below that indicator in about two years.

Volatility in Nintendo shares has jumped since April as investors try to gauge whether the company can maintain the sales momentum of its popular Switch game console into a second year. Last week's unveiling of new Pokemon games sent shares surging 6.1 percent over Wednesday and Thursday, only to drop sharply over the following two days. Volume was heavy on Monday, with Nintendo's alone accounting for about 7 percent of Tokyo's $22 billion in stock turnover.

Rumors that the world's most popular game, Fortnite, will be unveiled for the Switch at E3 have already been digested by the market, analysts said. With Pokemon announced last week and the highly-anticipated Super Smash Bros. sequel already confirmed in March, that left investors anticipating Nintendo would not have additional news for its E3 broadcast next week.

"The market is probably selling shares ahead of E3 because people are concerned Nintendo doesn't have a pipeline that will wow investors to a point where analysts will have to raise earnings targets again," said Amir Anvarzadeh, a senior strategist at Asymmetric Advisors in Singapore, who said he got three calls from investors about Nintendo this morning. "The other question is whether their network infrastructure is really ready to cater to online gaming."

Over the weekend, Nintendo released a free demo of the upcoming title Mario Tennis Aces. Frustrated gamers took to social media to gripe that the game was unplayable due to connection issues, including delays. That followed prior complaints about Splatoon 2, an online-focused game which some players said made it unnecessarily difficult to play together with friends or limiting which game modes can be accessed at certain hours.

Nintendo is planning to launch its paid online network in September, with Morgan Stanley MUFG Securities Co. analysts estimating the service will bring in 19.2 billion yen ($175 million) in operating profit for the fiscal year ending March 2020. But a bumpy roll-out could put those expectations in jeopardy, potentially forcing Nintendo to invest more heavily into beefing up the infrastructure.

"They're years and years behind on the network business," said Anvarzadeh. "That doesn't mean they can't catch up, but Sony spent billions on fortifying the PlayStation Network expansion."

Nintendo declined to comment on Fortnite and player complaints about connection issues in Mario Tennis Aces.

Wall Street analysts have been unwavering in their support for Nintendo through the sell-off. The average target price is 58,944 yen, according to estimates compiled by Bloomberg. That is about 45 percent above today's actual price, the biggest gap since November 2008.

Short-selling interest was at 1.04 percent of outstanding shares on Monday, below a recent high of 1.2 percent reached in early April, according to data from Markit Securities. That was also well below a peak of about 4 percent hit in July 2016 when shares doubled in two weeks after Pokemon Go was released.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-drop-leaves-investors-scrambling-for-reasons

Also

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Shares jumped at the PLG announcement, and then corrected. That correction lead to algorithms recognizing it as a downward trend and selling off.

NewGuy

Nov 23, 2017
wait so this was just an algorithm error or did something actually happen?

someone who understand market speak pls explain.

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
Taking some plus-values before E3 and potential disappointments I guess.
I would have done that if I had Nintendo shares. I did exactly this with Ubi Soft 3 years ago IIRC.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Time to use the old analysis tool to see how this will turn out:

nintendoomed.gif

Deleted member 9145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lmao they just realized QoL is dead?

these guys really jmoning rn smh

I remember making that thread getting hyped too

smh

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I blame Walmart CA and the korean rating board for leaking every surprise, those leaky people! ^^ *joke*

I don't understand the stock market, but i always thought that it's normal for drops after some high surges like the one they had last week. Guess it's about the size of the drop this time, like the articles state.

Last tweet from Serkan Toto ... wouldn't QoL being dead kinda be positive for Nintendo? I always imagined this as a kinda ... strange project decision, and with that being done for they have more resources to focus on Switch, Labo and so on.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Standard sell off after investors think that there won't be any surprises at E3 to spike interest again so they just sell after the Let's Go announcement spike.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Probably a combination of Let's Go cool off, soft Labo sales and pre-E3 jitters.

It's not like the market understands Nintendo stock anyway. They're kinda grossly overvalued imo.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Shares jumped at the PLG announcement, and then corrected. That correction lead to algorithms recognizing it as a downward trend and selling off.
This is probably the real reason. Algorithmic trading is...well, let's just say "dumb and destabilizing" and move on.

Though it's quite funny to imagine mutual funds guessing that Nintendo doesn't have any 'big surprises' left for E3.
"Star Fox Grand Prix? Not good enough! Put in a sell order!"

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
The best thing about this thread was that I saw jmon a few times and felt compelled to google 'jmon meme'. The first hit is a Reset Era thread by FZZ conjuring jmon into existence. Incidentially, I discover that he was also the only one using it in the thread.

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

There was a bloody spike just before the end of the 31st.

It then dropped back to normal.

This is a non-story.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, perhaps now they're forced to show off some 2019 games :)

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the real reason. Algorithmic trading is...well, let's just say "really stupid and destabilizing" and move on.

That's fascinating for me. I don't even trust the "AI" autobattling through Tempest Trial in Fire Emblem Heroes, and here we are with algorithmic trading. Of course, there's a massive difference between a small mobile game and algorithms used by stock markets ... it's just that i wouldn't fully trust this at all, no matter the scope of the automation. ^^

JordanKZ

Oct 27, 2017
It's literally a week before E3, when share prices will likely spike again.

Man, investors are hilariously fickle.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I don't see why QOL would have an impact on Nintendo share prices. We haven't heard of those products in years ! And when Nintendo talked about them it was barely a concept. It would make no sense for investors to sell their shares because a concept...

I'm no surprise of death of QOL, products like Alexa and Echo and all the werables pretty much tool the concept away from Nintendo. It was stupid to talk about it so much in advance.

The reality here is that Investors just sold their Nintendo shares after their recent spike to make money. That's all.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Late reaction to shitty output of games for first half of 2018 and Pokemon Go Console version sealing 2018s fate.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
"Some also worried online service will suck." I mean A Mobile App for your phone already *sucks*

Ubiblu

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Having been in crypto for a while, this type of correction is a complete non-event.

Phil Good

Apr 25, 2018
I would honestly be happy if Nintendo's shares dropped because of online-related backlash, since it's kind of the investor version of "vote with your wallet", but unfortunately this is probably just a return to normal after the LGPE announcement.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon will always sell milions, quality and worries are not relevant here.
Online, why would it impact anything at this point?

I guess it's just normal fluctuation from post Pokemon announcement high.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So shares shot up ~7% after the Pokémon Switch reveal...and then dropped ~7% after shareholders read Internet forums that it wasn't a "real" Pokémon game and "fans" were disappointed...

I'd expect nothing less from non-gaming traders.