• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm a bit worried they see indies as pushing the eshop well enough by themselves, but I hope the success of Snipperclips leads to similar partnerships and small-scale games from their internal and partner studios.

That's what made Nintendo handhelds unique IMO, particularly the DS and 3DS. Nintendo experimented with small scale projects that could fill the gaps between bigger first party releases. It'd be a shame to see that disappear with the Switch. What I particularly want to see, is a Nintendo take on the Life is Strange-style episodic game.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's pretty likely that their smaller development partners like Skip, Vanpool, Genius-Sonority etc. are going to make the jump to Switch eventually. Jupiter already released Picross S on the eShop and the rest is gonna have to move on from 3DS.

Ah if only Cing were still around.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda of true though. Nintendo may not feel the need to do small titles because of the plethora of indie titles, BUT I doubt it.

Nintendo did make Flip Wars so far, which nobody plays lol.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody notable has said anything about a February Direct and we just had a not-insignificant one a while ago so it's probably not happening this month.

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody notable has said anything about a February Direct and we just had a not-insignificant one a while ago so it's probably not happening this month.

So? That doesn't mean it still couldn't happen. Not every rumor needs to come from Emily Rogers or Vern to be plausible.

It's kinda of true though. Nintendo may not feel the need to do small titles because of the plethora of indie titles, BUT I doubt it.

Nintendo did make Flip Wars so far, which nobody plays lol.

That was actually a Japanese indie game from OverFence. Nintendo just published it internationally.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Nah I don't think a major direct happens in February, maybe a nindie one tho.

I dunno, I get the sense Nintendo is pretty okay with not advertising Bayonetta and could see them waiting till March 1st or 8th for the first general direct of the year.

Whenever they do have one they will have expectations to talk about their online plans for the year so I think they they just wait until they are totally ready to outline what it is.

And a early March direct also gives them the chance to talk about Kirby again, give a date for Hyrule Warriors, talk about LABO again, and maybe even tease their summer game to start the hype cycle for that. It just seems like a overall better spot for some of their stuff than February.

Jan 11, 2018
Worth noting that "Metroid Prime 4" was listed as a temp/working title in the release calendar section of the quarterly report. Wouldn't be surprised if it launches as "Metroid Prime: Vague Dramatic Subtitle" with no number.

They're definitely going to call it Prime 4: Something. They just don't have the subtitle yet.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So? That doesn't mean it still couldn't happen. Not every rumor needs to come from Emily Rogers or Vern to be plausible.
Literally Emily, Vern, the usual pack talked about the mini-direct and Labo a good week or two before it happened and they've quiet or even pessimistic about another direct happening this soon. Even Chrom went back on his/her word.

It's dead Jim.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Literally Emily, Vern, the usual pack talked about the mini-direct and Labo a good week or two before it happened and they've quiet or even pessimistic about another direct happening this soon. Even Chrom went back on his/her word.

It's dead Jim.

Vern retired from the leaking game so his silence shouldn't be taken one way or the other. Not expecting a Feb direct myself though.

Oct 27, 2017

It's dead Jim.

Chrom said he doesn't know about a Direct in February, but he still said he thinks there will be one. Anyway, if it doesn't happen this month, then oh well, but if it does, then reset the clock I guess. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just using the evidence to make an educated guess. Again, just because it doesn't come from the usual sources doesn't mean it won't happen.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
> using a no-name twitter account as a source of rumors
HnKVRI3.jpg

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want new IP and other IP brought back in smaller games. Like I don't think we need a AAA starfox game, but I'd play a smaller on rails game on the eshop.

I'm really curious what happen's with say the next 2D Zelda game.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I want new IP and other IP brought back in smaller games. Like I don't think we need a AAA starfox game, but I'd play a smaller on rails game on the eshop.

I'm really curious what happen's with say the next 2D Zelda game.
I don't really see anything different happening. They'll probably even charge a full 60 for it, and honestly at the level of quality as ALBW, I doubt people will mind.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I checked out that guy's twitter and look what we have here.

Now stop taking randos on the internet as gospel.

Oct 27, 2017
So I checked out that guy's twitter and look what we have here.

Now stop taking randos on the internet as gospel.

I'm not taking as gospel. Like I said, it could very well not happen. But that tweet also said it may not have been pushed back. We'll just have to wait until next week to find out. I'm just leaving all doors of possibility open.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Imo none of the "leakers" are credible enough to not still warrant a massive grain of salt.

The blank spot on the Nintendo site and the conspicuous absence of a few notable titles from the mini-Direct speak to another Direct sooner than later louder than anything else.
And I guess that mini-Direct, real Direct pattern is worth noting, though obv it isn't some "law".

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not taking as gospel. Like I said, it could very well not happen. But that tweet also said it may not have been pushed back. We'll just have to wait until next week to find out. I'm just leaving all doors of possibility open.
or you can stop posting about it all together because there's no reason to even humor what some guy said on the internet.

I'm some guy, and a Nintendo Direct is happening next week. screen cap this and repost it in this thread! oh and it could be pushed back, idunno

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Derailing thread with multiple posts regarding Nintendo Direct speculation
or you can stop posting about it all together because there's no reason to even humor what some guy said on the internet.

I'm some guy, and a Nintendo Direct is happening next week. screen cap this and repost it in this thread! oh and it could be pushed back, idunno

As always, take it with a grain of salt. He could be credible, he could be not. All I'm saying is that it's a door that should still be left open for now because anything can happen.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
The point is the twitter rumor is irrelevant to the open-ness of the door.

Unless a rumor is credible, it is irrelevant.

The considerations posted upthread a bit do seem relevant, but not conclusive.

Oct 25, 2017
Literally zero point in speculating when the next Direct is. There's no way of knowing when its coming, and it just floods every fucking Nintendo thread with garbage. No one cares when you think the next Direct is!

Really curious what the 2D Mario team is doing. NSMBU port rumor is very bizarre, but I could see it happening in one of the following ways:

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe/Online: NSMBU + Luigi U, with new levels and possibly online multiplayer? Online would definitely justify porting NSMBU I think.
New Super Mario Maker: The least likely option probably, essentially Super Mario Maker DX with slopes/whatever, but with NSMBU + Luigi U packed in as a bonus.
New Super Mario All Stars: All the NSMB games remastered in NSMBU art style.

I'd be happy with any of these really. Ideally though I'd like for them to have a new take on 2D Mario.

Jan 11, 2018
Literally zero point in speculating when the next Direct is. There's no way of knowing when its coming, and it just floods every fucking Nintendo thread with garbage. No one cares when you think the next Direct is!

Really curious what the 2D Mario team is doing. NSMBU port rumor is very bizarre, but I could see it happening in one of the following ways:

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe/Online: NSMBU + Luigi U, with new levels and possibly online multiplayer? Online would definitely justify porting NSMBU I think.
New Super Mario Maker: The least likely option probably, essentially Super Mario Maker DX with slopes/whatever, but with NSMBU + Luigi U packed in as a bonus.
New Super Mario All Stars: All the NSMB games remastered in NSMBU art style.

I'd be happy with any of these really. Ideally though I'd like for them to have a new take on 2D Mario.

I'd be more than happy with Super Mario Maker 2 so long as their was a proper campaign with level's and worlds Nintendo created themselves with the tools. But my heart of heart really just wants Super Mario Bros. 4 USA.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018

I honestly think this is an underrated possibility. It would explain why this port is (maybe) coming out around the same time as both Smash and the paid online service. It would offer an incentive for more casual/family-centered gamers who have no interest in Smash to shell out the $20 for the online service and help to differentiate Nintendo's online multiplayer offerings from what available on other platforms.

But this might just be wishful thinking, because I know I would jump on a NSMB online game but have little to no interest in a straight port.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You think they'd add online to NSMBU to get people to pay for online? I mean that'd be amazing for me to get to play online. Idk if Nintendo would do it.

Oct 26, 2017
it's never gonna happen. those games are designed for couch co-op, no matter how loud the internet is gonna yell about online. they're just not gonna.

I mean it would be cool for me and my brother (who now live several states apart) to be able to play online in some 2D platformers, but I guess that's just internet complaining.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a new Nintendo. Online for a 2D Mario especially when we're going to pay for online should be in the cards. They want to keep justifying paying for online and 2D Mario will probably sell 20+ million on the Switch. It's a good business move and Kimishima would be that guy since he wants as much money as possible.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Oh but it is :D

Just you wait^^

I loved being pessimistic about Nintendo but you take it too a new avenue lol.

This is a new Nintendo. Online for a 2D Mario especially when we're going to pay for online should be in the cards. They want to keep justifying paying for online and 2D Mario will probably sell 20+ million on the Switch. It's a good business move and Kimishima would be that guy since he wants as much money as possible.

I agree, it would justify the purchase for the casual crowd.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I loved being pessimistic about Nintendo but you take it too a new avenue lol.
I'm usually the exact opposite actually, but this is just a thing of knowing how they design these things from years of watching/reading them discuss this stuff. If they make a new game from scratch, that's another issue but they're not gonna slap it into a port. I'm aware that this sorta flies into the face of their Nintendo Online VC titles having online added. I'll happily be proven wrong but on that comparison specifically, you'll find that having pass-and-play simulated online (SMB3) will be a different case than 4-5 player simultaneous online precision platforming with Mario-quality standards.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
I'm usually the exact opposite actually, but this is just a thing of knowing how they design these things from years of watching/reading them discuss this stuff. If they make a new game from scratch, that's another issue but they're not gonna slap it into a port. I'm aware that this sorta flies into the face of their Nintendo Online VC titles having online added. I'll happily be proven wrong but on that comparison specifically, you'll find that having pass-and-play simulated online (SMB3) will be a different case than 4-5 player simultaneous online precision platforming with Mario-quality standards.

That is true. Maybe the SNES/NES games will have online co-op since its only 16/8-bit games

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
That is true. Maybe the SNES/NES games will have online co-op since its only 16/8-bit games
Well the latency issue doesn't go away in 8/16-bit. The stuff that will have simultaneous mp will be Super Mario Kart or maybe stuff like Contra where you can get away with faking it a bit when there's packet loss. But NSMB is highly dependent on precision and accuracy, even more so in multiplayer since every other player is a moving platform with collision (unlike Contra, for example). If the connection isn't perfect then well ....have you ever played LittleBigPlanet online XD ...you'll have that utter garbage. And that was floaty ass mess to begin with.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's so many Nintendo IP's it sucks we can't get all of them in a generation or atleast most of them. I'm hoping someone wants to make a new Kid Icarus game for Switch. It did well on 3DS. It's time to grow that series into a bigger franchise.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
There's so many Nintendo IP's it sucks we can't get all of them in a generation or atleast most of them. I'm hoping someone wants to make a new Kid Icarus game for Switch. It did well on 3DS. It's time to grow that series into a bigger franchise.
Well you run into the risk of milking it dry and ending up with Wario: Master of Disguise or Kirby Squeak Squad-type of stuff if you just keep making them out of habit. Something on the scale of KI Uprising eats a lot of resources, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.