• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So, looks like we did get a Retro game after all!!

I also wouldn't be surprised if their new one was DK as well

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
I legitimately have no idea whether the DKC:TF port is more "we need to prime the audience for the new Donkey Kong game we have cooking up" or "well we aren't gonna have a new Donkey Kong game for a while so might as well throw DK fans a bone." I'm almost certainly overthinking it and it's really more "this will make money."

Castform

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Florida, United States
I'm really looking forward to Kirby in March. I never got around to playing any of the 3DS ones, so it'll be nice to have a new Kirby on the run. Aside from that, not really psyched for Hyrule Warriors and Tropical Freeze again.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately have no idea whether the DKC:TF port is more "we need to prime the audience for the new Donkey Kong game we have cooking up" or "well we aren't gonna have a new Donkey Kong game for a while so might as well throw DK fans a bone." I'm almost certainly overthinking it and it's really more "this will make money."

I'd be inclined to think they see that DKCR sold 5 million or whatever on the Wii, so there is a lot of room for sales success with a TF port.

Jan 11, 2018
judging off what i've seen of nintendo's direct today, everything looks stellar, especially the new kirby star allies. hope they show off something about metroid prime 4 at E3 though, i've been wanting to see how that game looks ever since they teased it and i've been itching to dive into the metroid series again for quite some time. maybe some smash news at e3 would be cool but i'm not gonna get my hopes up high about it

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
I hope E3 is big. Retro's game, Metroid Prime 4, Animal Crossing and maybe FE Switch if it doesn't release before E3 should be the headlining games.
Dont forget Nintendo said they would release a new ip this year. I also think we could get either Mario Maker and/or Smash. We know Nintendo started hiring for the next smash right after the smash DLC wrapped up. A Super Mario Maker 2 would be easy to make with a small team. Pikmin 4 has also been in development for awhile. I think they will try to get Pokemon out before the end of the fiscal year meaning February/March 2019.

I mean, Nintendo will have games in the second half too, including in the summer, fall, and holiday seasons.

I think they will get at least one huge game still, personally, whether that is 2D Mario, AC, or Pokemon.

Beyond that we'll still have FE and Octopath for core consumers.

And yes, many of these ports are of good games, some of which not many people have played (looking at TF).

I do think the "give space for third party" rhetoric that is either Nintendo's or forum goers (idk, I missed the actual presentation) is a bit strange though. They don't have heavy hitting third party games announced.

I want Ys VIII and DQB to do well, for example, but those are both late ports of games that have been on two or more PlayStation platforms (at least in Japan).

I think Dark Souls could do well, that's a bigger game.

Indies will probably continue doing well for indies, but they've been doing that in a big year for Nintendo, even when Nintendo was putting a lot of content out post-June as far as I can tell.
I think there are still some titles we don't know for May and June. I dont think they would be major products but Doom was announced a little over a month before release. I could see smaller projects such as Wolfenstein 2 Switch being announced for release in May.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
With the current anouncement of Dark Souls remastered, its looking pretty likely that Nintendo hid easter eggs about most of their significant upcomming games as world idea's for Super Mario Odyssey.

I wonder what the Wooded Kingdom and New Donk City will end up being?

Speculation
Or maybe Nintendo EPD was just really into Destiny and Yakuza at the time
I hope you know you sound completely crazy :D

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's not like game studios can convert 100% of their time into game output. They likely had some failed projects and pitches, and they can even split the team and let a small team work on the DKC port while the rest of the team works on a different project.

There's no way Retro have been working for 4+ years at full force on the next project they'll reveal.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
There are people on the internet so buttmad that their favorite company dedicated a handful of people out of 100+ and several months out of a year to port a game instead of showing of their latest game. They exist, and you are witnessing one
Holding out hope for a failed sarcasm post, otherwise my ignore list welcomes those people with open arms.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
so that's settled then:

DTW0cFAWAAEvDYK.jpg:large

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like game studios can convert 100% of their time into game output. They likely had some failed projects and pitches, and they can even split the team and let a small team work on the DKC port while the rest of the team works on a different project.

There's no way Retro have been working for 4+ years at full force on the next project they'll reveal.

Holding out hope for a failed sarcasm post, otherwise my ignore list welcomes those people with open arms.

Is that "f-word" post made by a butt hurt fanboy who is angry at a developer not helping his favorite company ..."Win Moar"?

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I remember last year that 1-up had a job listing for a programmer with experience in the action genre, turns out they were helping develop Odyssey. This year they are looking for someone with experience in the mobile games. Could they possibly be helping with a new 2018 mobile entry for Nintendo? I think deNA has done almost all the games so far, so would this be a possibility for them?

Nintendo programs/designs/scores all the game contents. DeNA exists mainly for back-end/server/infrastructure contents.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Has it been said anywhere that Nintendo bought the Bayonetta franchise wholesale from Sega? Or was the PR statement of Bayonetta being listed as a Nintendo franchise misinformation?

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
so that's settled then:

DTW0cFAWAAEvDYK.jpg:large

I mean I'm not surprised nor do I think that it really affected development of their next project. They ported the entire MP Trilogy with motion controls on the Wii in 2009 and then released DKCR in 2010. They also assisted development of MK7 and DKCR3D in between releasing DKCR and TF.

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warning: Lazy Dev / Console War type post.
Seems likely Retro have been working a port that takes about 3 months or so for a handful of people for 4 years now, yes.

If it's confirmed that's Retro actually making DKTF Switch and it's their only current project, yes. That was the point of my post.

Jesus, the overracting over my post. Nintendo fanboys can really get salty if you make strong criticism over their favorite company to the point of making personal attacks or saying it's going to add you to ignore (go ahead, I won't miss you either).

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If it's confirmed that's Retro actually making DKTF Switch and it's their only current project, yes. That was the point of my post.

Jesus, the overracting over my post. Nintendo fanboys can really get salty if you make strong criticism over their favorite company to the point of making personal attacks or saying it's going to add you to ignore (go ahead, I won't miss you either).
I mean, Retro is a rather big developer. so it's rather unfruitful to suggest that their project for the last 4 years has only been a remaster of Tropical Freeze and nothing more. Even when they are the ones who brought TF to Switch, I don't understand why we would even entertain the thought that they have been working on a port only for 4 years, let alone give a potential f you to them.

To illustrate, they are estimated to be about 70 people. Porting a WiiU takes a few months for a handful of people, which is a drop in the bucket for them. There's no reason to be this angry about the idea when the idea is clearly nonsense.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Retro is a rather big developer. so it's rather unfruitful to suggest that their project for the last 4 years has only been a remaster of Tropical Freeze and nothing more. Even when they are the ones who brought TF to Switch, I don't understand why we would even entertain the thought that they have been working on a port only for 4 years, let alone give a potential f you to them.

It has most to do because of how Retro/Nintendo mismanaged DKTF for Wii U mostly because of secrecy and how that caused speculation/hype. There was some curiosity about what Retro's new Wii U project was. Some wild rumours were running around but no one were expecting a follow up to DKCR. When Retro/Nintendo revealed that their Wii U project was DKTR that caused some frustration among Nintendo/Wii U userbase and consequently alienated interest from a sequel from one of the most succesful Wii games that turned out to be perhaps one of the best 2D platforms of all time. This was a catastrophe and how Nintendo/Retro handle it can be blamed at why it failed.

DKTF is the game I most want to have a second chance to properly have the sales it deserves after how badly it was mismanaged by Retro/Nintendo. I hope the secrecy involving Retro don't affect DKTF again like it did with Wii U and don't alienated the audience. But, I guess not, Switch audience isn't alienated as Wii U was, but still, knowing history, I hope Nintendo audience don't lose interest on DKTF again because they were expecting something else from Retro.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It has most to do because of how Retro/Nintendo mismanaged DKTF for Wii U mostly because of secrecy and how that caused speculation/hype. There was some curiosity about what Retro's new Wii U project was. Some wild rumours were running around but no one were expecting a follow up to DKCR. When Retro/Nintendo revealed that their Wii U project was DKTR that caused some frustration among Nintendo/Wii U userbase and consequently alienated interest from a sequel from one of the most succesful Wii games that turned out to be perhaps one of the best 2D platforms of all time. This was a catastrophe and how Nintendo/Retro handle it can be blamed at why it failed.

DKTF is the game I most want to have a second chance to properly have the sales it deserves after how badly it was mismanaged by Retro/Nintendo. I hope the secrecy involving Retro don't affect DKTF again like it did with Wii U and don't alienated the audience. But, I guess not, Switch audience isn't alienated as Wii U was, but still, knowing history, I hope Nintendo audience don't lose interest on DKTF again because they were expecting something else from Retro.
I definitely feel like the general reaction towards TF was one of "of course they bring that game, it's a game that didn't do very well on WiiU." I don't think anyone at all was annoyed that the Retro game shown was TF, or thought that Retro had been working on this instead of on a brand new game. In the end, TF is a game that is widely recognised as a good to great game that was "stuck" on WiiU, so people seem to understand completely why it is coming to Switch.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am curious as to why Nintendo decided for a mini direct vs a regular direct. Not saying it was a right or wrong choice, but pretty much every year since 2013 Nintendo always laid the foundation for what's to come in the next year or so either in January or December. It makes sense because it's like 5-6 months away from E3 so it's not like they'll dry themselves out of announcements or news. They got half a year to build up again with more information. It was a good cycle to me personally. I wonder why they decided to cut that off now? Do they plan to have a huge blowout E3 2018 with Retro, Fire Emblem Switch, Metroid Prime 4, Octopath Traveler, SMT5, Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes and other big announcements including third parties? FE Switch, OT, and TSA:NMH all come out this year and they could have been shown definitely. Very curious. Especially since almost every announcement was just ports excluding Mario Tennis Aces and the SNK fighting game.

I'm sure there'll be an April direct or something, but big announcements never usually come there because it's so close to E3.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

The overreaction came from you because your post is completely irrational and knee-jerk bitterness based on nothing. It's beyond obvious that they have not spent 4+ years on a port. With their entire 90 person roster of developers. How you can even seriously think that is the case for even a second is just ........ That has nothing to do with your "fanboy" nonsense and everything to do with just a dumb reaction post.

Oct 25, 2017
I got bored and compiled this list, maybe someone will find it useful lol.

Reveal -> release date announcement -> release for first party games. Everything is a worldwide release. If it's missing the second one then the release date was announced alongside the game.

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - June 2016 -> January 2017 -> March 2017
  • 1-2 Switch - January 2017 -> March 2017
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - January 2017 -> April 2017
  • ARMS - January 2017 -> April 2017 -> June 2017
  • Splatoon 2 - January 2017 -> April 2017 -> July 2017
  • Pokkén Tournament DX - June 2017 -> September 2017
  • Super Mario Odyssey - January 2017 -> June 2017 -> October 2017
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - January 2017 -> September 2017 -> December 2017
  • Bayonetta + Bayonetta 2 - December 2017 -> February 2018
  • Kirby: Star Allies - June 2017 -> January 2018 -> March 2018
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - January 2018 -> May 2018

Obviously Zelda was revealed earlier but I'm just starting with the full blowout reveal at E3 2016. Super Mario, Mario Kart, and Splatoon were teased in October 2016 in the Switch reveal video.

Not first party but close enough, dates differ between the West and Japan:

• Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - June 2017 -> August 2017
  • Fire Emblem Warriors - January 2017 -> August 2017 -> October 2017

Looks like release dates are always announced 2-4 months beforehand.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I do think we may get a second direct on February or March, to announce the April game and to give definitive release dates to some games like Hyrule Warriors

Oct 25, 2017
I do think we may get a second direct on February or March, to announce the April game and to give definitive release dates to some games like Hyrule Warriors
Fire Emblem Warriors got a release date in a random press release in North America. :P

But March-April sounds about right. Give Mario Tennis Aces a late May or early June release date, talk about the summer lineup (Yoshi, Octopath, Fire Emblem?).

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
I really don't understand the general disappointment with Nintendo's Q1 + Q2 I've seen here and there. For comparison to 2017:

January - N/A
February - N/A
March - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
April - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
May - Nothing
June - ARMS

to 2018;

January - Nothing
February - Bayonetta 1 + 2
March - Kirby: Star Allies
April - ???
May - Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
June - ???

I think Hyrule Warriors will fit nicely into April and could see June for Mario Tennis Aces. Plus add in Dark Souls in May which is a pretty big deal for the Switch, with Ys VIII in (I assume) July, I feel as though Nintendo has an incredibly steady stream of content going into the latter part of the year. Not to get too speculative, but I could easily see Pikmin 4 in August, Fire Emblem in September, Yoshi in October, and something in November, whether it be Retro's new game, Animal Crossing, or (a long shot) Pokemon. For a year that on the surface may seem pretty third-party heavy so far, I think Nintendo is priming themselves for an excellent year from a first-party perspective as well.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
The one megaton we're all forgetting that they still have up their sleeves is physical Minecraft.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand the general disappointment with Nintendo's Q1 + Q2 I've seen here and there. For comparison to 2017:

January - N/A
February - N/A
May - Nothing
June - ARMS

to 2018;

January - Nothing
April - ???
June - ???

I think Hyrule Warriors will fit nicely into April and could see June for Mario Tennis Aces. Plus add in Dark Souls in May which is a pretty big deal for the Switch, with Ys VIII in (I assume) July, I feel as though Nintendo has an incredibly steady stream of content going into the latter part of the year. Not to get too speculative, but I could easily see Pikmin 4 in August, Fire Emblem in September, Yoshi in October, and something in November, whether it be Retro's new game, Animal Crossing, or (a long shot) Pokemon. For a year that on the surface may seem pretty third-party heavy so far, I think Nintendo is priming themselves for an excellent year from a first-party perspective as well.

Dragon Quest Builders is also published by Nintendo in February

I got bored and compiled this list, maybe someone will find it useful lol.

Reveal -> release date announcement -> release for first party games. Everything is a worldwide release. If it's missing the second one then the release date was announced alongside the game.

• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - June 2016 -> January 2017 -> March 2017
  • 1-2 Switch - January 2017 -> March 2017
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - January 2017 -> April 2017
  • ARMS - January 2017 -> April 2017 -> June 2017
  • Splatoon 2 - January 2017 -> April 2017 -> July 2017
  • Pokkén Tournament DX - June 2017 -> September 2017
  • Super Mario Odyssey - January 2017 -> June 2017 -> October 2017
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - January 2017 -> September 2017 -> December 2017
  • Bayonetta + Bayonetta 2 - December 2017 -> February 2018
  • Kirby: Star Allies - June 2017 -> January 2018 -> March 2018
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - January 2018 -> May 2018

Obviously Zelda was revealed earlier but I'm just starting with the full blowout reveal at E3 2016. Super Mario, Mario Kart, and Splatoon were teased in October 2016 in the Switch reveal video.

Not first party but close enough, dates differ between the West and Japan:

• Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - June 2017 -> August 2017
  • Fire Emblem Warriors - January 2017 -> August 2017 -> October 2017

Looks like release dates are always announced 2-4 months beforehand.

Really interesting post. I didn't thought about it.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

January - N/A
February - N/A
May - Nothing
June - ARMS

to 2018;

January - Nothing
April - ???
June - ???

The belief is that Ninty needs a full year line up that is at least only slightly weaker than Year One to sustain the goal of 20 million.

For many, a bunch of late ports (1P or 3P) and new (but solid) B games like Kirby and Mario Tennis, and if this direct is indeed for the entirety of Ninty's plans up to May (half year), then it is relatively weaksuace in comparison and doesn't help in the goal for 20 milion.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
For many, a bunch of late ports (1P or 3P) and new (but solid) B games like Kirby and Mario Tennis, and if this direct is indeed for the entirely of Ninty's plans up to May (half year), then it is relatively weaksuace in comparison and doesn't help in the goal for 20 milion.
There's probably another direct soon, don't get so worked up about it.

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
The belief is that Ninty needs a full year line up that is at least only slightly weaker than Year One to sustain the goal of 20 million.

For many, a bunch of late ports (1P or 3P) and new (but solid) B games like Kirby and Mario Tennis, and if this direct is indeed for the entirely of Ninty's plans up to May (half year), then it is relatively weaksuace in comparison and doesn't help in the goal for 20 milion.

I agree, but as long as we get that megaton is the second half of the year, I think they'll be fine. I also think we could see Pokemon in Q1 2019 which would help drive 20 million units before the end of the fiscal year. And while yes, it lacks a big hitter like Zelda, as long as we get a March direct that indicates the year will pick up, the momentum should keep chugging along.

Rainrir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's probably another direct soon, don't get so worked up about it.

I am fine with the lineup personally. The real question if how he mass market will react.

This lineup only have confirmed solid performers for Japan for now.

3P is a joke as always, it will be a non factor.

Kirby and Tennis will be solid sellers in Japan. Zelda Musou might get the BotW boost in Japan too, but 3DS version existing drags sales potential down. The older 1P ports will sate the fans who missed Wii U and Japan does have many Nintendo fans who didn't have a Wii U.

However, the question is the US, and even more so in Europe. I don't know how those market will react to this lineup. My gut tells me...Not very well.

NInty better have something in reserve as you say, but many posters are arguing that this lineup (for half the year) is sufficient. Plus, we have Emily implying Pokemon is missing this year, which makes you wonder what is H2 that can drive the kind of sales Ninty expected.

Oct 25, 2017
However the question is the US, and even more so in Europe. I don't know how those market will react to this lineup. My gut tells me...Not very well.
My thinking is the same with Zelda being released at launch. By launching Mario Odyssey at the tail end of the year, it's got the power to tide over the months of smaller releases while those releases in the early months fill in the gaps. Remember that the Switch isn't selling in a vacuum and 2017 never existed. That good amount of those of 2017 titles will still sell into 2018.

But again, a mini direct is not gonna give away all of NIntendo's first half efforts. That's just a foolish notion.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

January - N/A
February - N/A
May - Nothing
June - ARMS

to 2018;

January - Nothing
April - ???
June - ???

What the hell is even the point of shit like this?

"Sure this year is a barren wasteland but last year was even shitter so you can't complain!"

Oct 26, 2017
1H 2018: Kirby, ports
2H 2018: Fire Emblem, Yoshi, probably 2D Mario.
1H 2019: Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon? (I think Pokemon should be 2H 2019 to allow for more development time, but Nintendo has put "2018 or later" so I'm guessing they want it out soon)
2H 2019: Bayonetta 2, Mario+Rabbids 2
2H 2019 or 1H 2020: Metroid 5
2H 2020: Xeno Dark Souls, BotW2

We have no idea when this game started development: Smash 5, Animal Crossing, Pikmin 4, hinted at new IPs
Fucky development hell pain time: Retro Studios' game for Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.