• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Consumers don't seem to care much for full priced futuristic racers. Wipeout is mostly dead coating on remasters for awhile now which I guess is what f zero fans keep asking for.

F Zero is more character driven which is a strength it has, but it's mostly ugly aliens mixed in with one of the coolest character designs out there.
I imagine a reboot with a more serious story about dangerous space races might work but I don't see anyone currently at Nintendo wanting to do that

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
LM3 should go in the next step to where luigi goes to an abandoned haunted city. You explore like maybe a haunted hotel, library, warehouse, park, etc. It Would combine the best aspects of lm1 and 2. Maybe even just drop the mansion name and call it luigi's city.
Nah. Luigi's Mansion is a brand. Kinda like how They didn't dropped the "Legend of Zelda" title from Majora's Mask.

At best it will get a subtitle.

Jan 11, 2018
Any guesses what Next Level Games is working on?

We seem to talk a lot about Retro for western studios but what about NLG?

Honestly, I hope they're making a third Luigis Mansion game. Luigis Mansion 2 was just too much fun!

Hopefully LM 3. Dark Moon is my favorite game on 3DS and a million times better than the original.

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of Luigi's Mansion talk, but I don't see how many more games that series has in it. It's pretty limited. Not much they can do by sticking with the mansion/ghost/vacuum theme. I imagine it's got one more good game in it before they'll have to make major changes.

I want to see a new Luigi's Mansion just to finally see how atmospheric they could make one with new hardware, but a general Luigi adventure game with multiple gadgets beyond the vacuum and not bound by one theme would be a good future for the franchise.

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lots of Luigi's Mansion talk, but I don't see how many more games that series has in it. It's pretty limited. Not much they can do by sticking with the mansion/ghost/vacuum theme. I imagine it's got one more good game in it before they'll have to make major changes.

I want to see a new Luigi's Mansion just to finally see how atmospheric they could make one with new hardware, but a general Luigi adventure game with multiple gadgets beyond the vacuum and not bound by one theme would be a good future for the franchise.
It seems a logical step would be Super Mario: Sunshine 2 & a remake of the 1st game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Someone mentioned earlier about an explorable town, so they can go that route as a series finale. A remake is out of the cards now that a port has been announced

Oct 25, 2017
Someone mentioned earlier about an explorable town, so they can go that route as a series finale. A remake is out of the cards now that a port has been announced

A creepy village would be cool. Worn down houses, a forest area, an underground area. Complete with the "mansion" being a castle to get those transylvania vibes. Could be cool. But I think Luigi's Mansion is gonna run it's course pretty soon.

Jan 11, 2018

I actually feel the series progressed quite a bit from 1 to 2. It went from a single location, somewhat Metroidvania style to a much longer, mission based game with multiple mansions and plenty of new mechanics. As has been mentioned, they could potentially expand the series beyond mansions... They even already started to with Secret Mine in Dark Moon.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any guesses what Next Level Games is working on?

We seem to talk a lot about Retro for western studios but what about NLG?

Honestly, I hope they're making a third Luigis Mansion game. Luigis Mansion 2 was just too much fun!
A lot of people say Luigi's Mansion, but I'm calling Punch Out Switch. Especially after the recent trademark, I'd be willing to make a small bet on it. It's gonna happen, just watch.

Jan 11, 2018
A lot of people say Luigi's Mansion, but I'm calling Punch Out Switch. Especially after the recent trademark, I'd be willing to make a small bet on it. It's gonna happen, just watch.

You know Nintendo still renews their Eternal Darkness trademark after all these years? Doesn't mean a game is coming...

I need a new Eternal Darkness so bad :(

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about Luigi going to a haunted carnival? Killer ghost clowns and ghost ringleaders with a ghost tiger.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually feel the series progressed quite a bit from 1 to 2. It went from a single location, somewhat Metroidvania style to a much longer, mission based game with multiple mansions and plenty of new mechanics. As has been mentioned, they could potentially expand the series beyond mansions... They even already started to with Secret Mine in Dark Moon.

Yeah, but for how many more games can that last? Every area still has to be ghost themed and you gotta suck them up with the vacuum. Even in just two games they've covered a lot of "haunted house" ground already. I feel like if they want to keep going eventually they're going to want to further diversify enemy types or gadgets or locations. And I think they're going to have to branch out of "scary ghost haunted houses" to do that. And besides just thinking that it'll be necessary, I also just think it'll be better anyway. Having a Luigi adventure series that's allow to go wherever and do whatever similar to Mario platformers would be more fun than just continually getting Luigi's Mansion games anyway. We'd get the same Metroid/Residnet Evil-esque explore the are and solve puzzles gameplay just with far more variety.

Like I said I want another Luigi's Mansion. Maybe even two more. But after that I think they're gonna need to make some major changes. I mean, would anybody really want several sequels to Mario Sunshine? Always in a tropical/ocean setting? That's what Luigi's Mansion feels like. Far too specific to keep going indefinitely.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You know Nintendo still renews their Eternal Darkness trademark after all these years? Doesn't mean a game is coming...

I need a new Eternal Darkness so bad :(
lol I never got to play that game, but it looks interesting.

Though I'd argue the more recent trademarks are definitely more indicative of potential games than otherwise. Ahead of the March Direct we had a Smash Bros, Dillon's RW, Luigi's Mansion, M&L, and WarioWare trademarks, and 100% of those are all confirmed games now. People said the Smash Trademark in particular meant nothing, but loe and behold not too long after we had the fated reveal.

I also firmly believe the recent Mario Party trademark is indicative of a game probably coming sometime next year.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've said they're probably doing Punch Out due to the trademark even though that can mean nothing.

They had a game they were working on the Wii U so...who knows what happened with that

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
3DS wise, I think the 3DS remakes of VB Wario Land and Link's Awakening are real, and probably going to piss off a ton of people, but Nintendo has made it abundantly clear that 3DS isn't going anywhere, so more remakes alongside Bowser's Inside Story and Luigi's Mansion make sense.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Joycons are perfect for Punch Out, so yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what they are making.

I'll still use the pro controller though.

Ubiblu

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Joycons are perfect for Punch Out, so yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what they are making.

Depending on how they would hypothetically market it, wouldn't a new Punch Out be in direct competition with Arms, and thus sabotage Nintendo's continued interest in expanding the property via multimedia etc?

Rodento

Dec 28, 2017
It's gonna be funny around here when the new Punch-Out! turns to be a 3DS port of the Wii one.

Jermare

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 21, 2017

I'll still use the pro controller though.
I only play Punch-Out with motion controls. It feels so natural.

Speaking of Punch Out, how could that be evolved?

Would it completely go against the gameplay core of the game if you could move around?
Keep the same gameplay and have way more than 13 opponents.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
In an era of hyper-awareness towards representation, I don't know how a new Punch Out would be received by the more critical voices in the games media/community. I enjoyed Punch Out on the Wii a great deal but man that game leaned hard into cultural stereotypes. I found it all fit with the cartoon aesthetic of the game but I can also see how others would find it problematic. I wonder how a new Punch Out would be received in today's culture.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
They are completely different games.

Even Smash is more of a competition than Punch out.

How so? they(ARMS and Punchout) are both over the shoulder view 3D fighting games based on Boxing.

Edit: I just don't see where a new punch out would fit, unless it was a Nintendo first party take on brawler/beatem up genre like the Yakuza series.

Edit 2: Besides what new game play addition could a similarly styled game to the NES/SNES?WII Punchout games have. It seems like a Virtual Console exclusive remaster with a fresh coat of paint would be all that would really be needed. maybe GAAS it with new content if a lot of people are playing it.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Punch Out, how could that be evolved?

Would it completely go against the gameplay core of the game if you could move around?

No, moving the character around would completely destroy the game. It would be akin to what Star Fox has become.

How can it be improved? Add new characters, a lot of them. Stop relying on the classics. Make the game harder. Add some new moves or specials.

In an era of hyper-awareness towards representation, I don't know how a new Punch Out would be received by the more critical voices in the games media/community. I enjoyed Punch Out on the Wii a great deal but man that game leaned hard into cultural stereotypes. I found it all fit with the cartoon aesthetic of the game but I can also see how others would find it problematic. I wonder how a new Punch Out would be received in today's culture.

No one finds it problematic. Only ones that find it problematic are people looking to get offended on behalf of others.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
No one finds it problematic. Only people that find it problematic are people looking to get offended on behalf of others.
And you speak for everyone because? I was just listening to a Retronauts podcast the other day, and they're a pretty established corner of video game culture. The general consensus was "Yeah, Punchout was super racist but we were kids and thought it was funny and not intentionally offensive, but yeah..." and I think that kind of reaction would be even more pronounced with a new entry if they stay with the same cultural stereotypes.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
And you speak for everyone because? I was just listening to a Retronauts podcast the other day, and they're a pretty established corner of video game culture. The general consensus was "Yeah, Punchout was super racist but we were kids and thought it was funny and not intentionally offensive, but yeah..." and I think that kind of reaction would be even more pronounced with a new entry if they stay with the same cultural stereotypes.

We were not kids when Punch Out Wii came out, and that one had even more stereotypes. The result: no one cares because it's not meant to be taken seriously.

Retronauts doesn't speak for everyone either.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Punch Out, as far as I know, is a pattern recognition boss rush game.

It's honestly closer in it's design philosophy to something like Monster Hunter than a fighting game.

OK Fair enough. Although i still somewhat disagree since each ARMS character is in its own way a boss.

PS. Now I'm just Imagining a next gen Punchout as a Yakuza x Dark Souls Hybrid. No idea how it would work in practice but a noir Inspired boxing game where Philidelphia has been transformed into a Souls like hellscape of gang members and delinquents looking for trouble sounds like it has potential to be interesting.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
We were not kids when Punch Out Wii came out, and that one had even more stereotypes. The result: no one cares because it's not meant to be taken seriously.

Retronauts doesn't speak for everyone either.
At no point did I suggest Retronauts speaks for everyone. This seems to be a difficult subject for you. Punchout Wii came out in 2009. Video game culture is in a pretty different place in 2018. I think a new Punch Out that leans into the cultural stereotypes in the same way the series traditionally has would land very differently in 2018. I'm not sure how I would feel about the use of cultural stereotypes myself. You should practice speaking only for yourself and being less dismissive just because the topic doesn't interest you.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
At no point did I suggest Retronauts speaks for everyone. This seems to be a difficult subject for you. Punchout Wii came out in 2009. Video game culture is in a pretty different place in 2018. I think a new Punch Out that leans into the cultural stereotypes in the same way the series traditionally has would land very differently in 2018. I'm not sure how I would feel about the use of cultural stereotypes myself. You should practice speaking only for yourself and being less dismissive just because the topic doesn't interest you.
But he's right about "us" not being kids in 2009 either. It's one of the more integral consistent themes in the series. I would bet a lot of anything that it has no chance of being removed. Nintendo doesn't seem like the kind of company to care much about it anyway.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

You asked if I was speaking for everyone with my comment. Correct? Then you used Retronauts as evidence that Punch Out would be offensive today because the "established corner of VG culture" said so. I just said that Retronatus doesn't speak for everyone either.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Are we sure it's impossible to add movement without destroying the core of the game? Not even if limited the movement with Mac/ whoever and the boss locked onto and only able to move in circles around one another?

Have you ever heard of a single boxing game that lets you move the character around and that it's also as good as Punch Out?

Punch out is not about blindinly throwing punches. You actually have to pay attention to the other boxer, check their tells, and react. If you also add character movement to that, it completely breaks the flow.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
You asked if I was speaking for everyone with my comment. Correct? Then you used Retronauts as evidence that Punch Out would be offensive today because they are a "established corner of VG culture". I just said that Retronatus doesn't speak for everyone either.
I think Punch Out has always been offensive to some people, and I wonder how a new game in the series would be received today.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Have you ever heard of a single boxing game that lets you move the character around and that it's also as good as Punch Out?

Punch out is not about blindinly throwing punches. You actually have to pay attention to the other boxer, check their tells, and react. If you also add character movement to that, it completely breaks the flow.
But there are very acclaimed action games with boss battles built around reading telegraphed moves. Obviously, none of them are nearly as laser-focused on this as Punch out, but I'm legitimately curious if a middleground can be found. I guess we'll never know for sure unless someone tries, but still an interesting thing to ponder.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory Generalizations
I think Punch Out has always been offensive to some people, and I wonder how a new game in the series would be received today.

I've been gaming since the 80s. Read every single magazine, and I've been in a lot of forums over the years. Never heard anyone complaining about being offended about Punch Out. I've heard people talking about the stereotypes, yes. And asking themselves if they are offensive, yes.

I remember when Nintendo showed the Mario Odyssey boxart that had Mario with a sombrero, a bunch of people were like "OMG ISN'T THAT RACIST"? Turns out it was only certain people looking to get offended on behalf of others because lots of Mexicans on social made actually loved seeing Mario with a sombrero. Nintendo ended up removing sombrero Mario from the boxart due to that. And by the way, I'm Latino.

This thing about getting easily offended and outraged over small things is actually something that happens predominantly in the USA. The rest of the world doesn't throw a fit because it shows a French guy liking croissants, or a Mexican with a wrestler mask. If a new Punch Out is offensive to the current US gaming climate, then the game can skip US release and it can release in the rest of the world just fine and no one will mind the silly stereotypes.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
But there are very acclaimed action games with boss battles built around reading telegraphed moves. Obviously, none of them are nearly as laser-focused on this as Punch out, but I'm legitimately curious if a middleground can be found. I guess we'll never know for sure unless someone tries, but still an interesting thing to ponder.

Honestly? I would rather not find out. Experimentation is what ruined Star Fox. I want Punch Out to stay the same. Everyone likes the gameplay just fine the way it is.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I've been gaming since the 80s. Read every single magazine, and I've been in a lot of forums over the years. Never heard anyone complaining about being offended about Punch Out. I've heard people talking about the stereotypes, yes. And asking themselves if they are offensive, yes.

I remember when Nintendo showed the Mario Odyssey boxart that had Mario with a sombrero, a bunch of people were like "OMG ISN'T THAT RACIST"? Turns out it was only certain people looking to get offended on behalf of others because lots of Mexicans on social made actually loved seeing Mario with a sombrero. And by the way, I'm Latino.

This thing about getting easily offended and outraged over small things is actually something that happens predominantly in the USA. The rest of the world doesn't throw a fit because it shows a French guy liking croissants, or a Mexican with a wrestler mask. If a new Punch Out is offensive to the current US gaming climate, then the game can skip US release and it can release in the rest of the world just fine and no one will mind the silly stereotypes.
Again, you should try speaking only for yourself and not the entire global population.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Again, you should try speaking only for yourself and not the entire global population.

But you are literally doing the same thing, but on the opposite side :P

And by the way, I'm not claiming people shouldn't get offended or outraged, just not for silly small things that are not meant to be taken seriously in the first place.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
But you are literally doing the same thing, but on the opposite side :P
No I'm not. I've very clearly said that a new Punch Out game that leans into cultural stereotypes would give me pause. As in me, the one person typing right now. I also know that some voices in the video game community have expressed that they find the stereotypes problematic in the past and I wonder how people would react to a new game. That is very different than speaking as if my voice represents some kind of global consensus.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No I'm not. I've very clearly said that a new Punch Out game that leans into cultural stereotypes would give me pause. As in me, the one person typing right now. I also know that some voices in the video game community have expressed that they find the stereotypes problematic in the past and I wonder how people would react to a new game. That is very different than speaking as if my voice represents some kind of global consensus.

Me, the person typing right now, fits some of the Punch Out stereotypes, and I'm not offended at all. I also know that some voices in the video game community outside the US have expressed that they DO NOT find the stereotypes problematic. I also know that people that complained about Sombrero Mario were white males. Mexicans loved that shit. Too bad Nintendo removed it from the boxart due to those complaints.

Like I said before, if the current US gaming climate dictates that Punch Out would be too offensive, then the game can just skip the US and leave the rest of the world to enjoy the game like it was intended :)

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Me, the person typing right now, fits some of the Punch Out stereotypes, and I'm not offended at all. I also know that some voices in the video game community outside the US have expressed that they DO NOT find the stereotypes problematic. I also know that people that complained about Sombrero Mario were white males. Mexicans loved that shit. Too bad Nintendo removed it from the boxart due to those complaints.
I don't believe there was any evidence to believe Nintendo removed the Sombrero Mario from the box art due to complaints. IIRC the image was replaced with an image from a newly revealed kingdom. And I literally have no idea what white males have to do with any of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.