SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Before this issue of Game Player was archived a week or so ago, I had only seen it once in a book store and cannot remember anything from it except the cover.

Nintendo in Japan - the Famicom and Famicom Disc system is not something that was covered much by other magazines.

Book page image

Book page image

Book page image

Last edited:

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
In addition, the disk drive allows Japanese game players to buy new games from the comfort of their homes without waiting in lines at stores. This is made possible by adding another accessory to the Famicom a modem. Like the modems available for personal computers, this device allows Famicom owners to hook up their systems to the telephone lines and receive data remotely.
Nintendo introduced the digital games first lol

PS: This would probably make piracy very easy

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I was always entranced by the Romance of 3 kingdom games, i should play one

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
I was always entranced by the Romance of 3 kingdom games, i should play one
Most of the available modern ones are really dense, and the classics aren't readily available in English anywhere (4 was available on the Wii U eShop, that's the last I'm aware of).

8 is getting remastered in the coming months and might be a decent entry point. It's still deep, but you can play as an officer under a ruler. That simplifies things and lets you experience things without having to make as many decisions.

If you had access to all of them, I'd suggest one of the SNES strategy games - ideally ROTK2, Gemfire or Genghis Khan II - and see if you enjoy it. All of those are fairly easy to get into comparatively and then you have a real rabbit hole from there.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the available modern ones are really dense, and the classics aren't readily available in English anywhere (4 was available on the Wii U eShop, that's the last I'm aware of).

8 is getting remastered in the coming months and might be a decent entry point. It's still deep, but you can play as an officer under a ruler. That simplifies things and lets you experience things without having to make as many decisions.

If you had access to all of them, I'd suggest one of the SNES strategy games - ideally ROTK2, Gemfire or Genghis Khan II - and see if you enjoy it. All of those are fairly easy to get into comparatively and then you have a real rabbit hole from there.
Thanks for the suggestions

Vicman

Jan 29, 2024
Fun fact I just remembered based on an old post from the other forum about mind-blowing video game stuff: the clouds and bushes are the same in Mario Bros... Just different color.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I had this issue. This and VG&CE were my go-tos until EGM surfaced a short time later.

I really need to go through the boxes in my parents' garage. I have so many game magazines from this era. I've got EGM from issue 3 up until 130 somewhere.

Before this issue of Game Player was archived a week or so ago, I had only seen it once in a book store and cannot remember anything from it except the cover.

Nintendo in Japan - the Famicom and Famicom Disc system is not something that was covered much by other magazines.

Book page image

Book page image

Book page image

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Starting two paragraphs in a row with "In Japan," is something any editor would have killed me for today.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo introduced the digital games first lol

PS: This would probably make piracy very easy

Nintendo discs had the word Nintendo stamped into them working as a physical copy protection...but people got around it pretty quickly.

The real issue was that after about two years on the market the size and cost of ROM fell dramatically and the rise of the various memory mapping chips plus the battery back up carts meant that discs were now smaller and noticeably slower than carts were.