Banned
Nov 23, 2017

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
Why is wins in quotes

Edit: they probably won't actually get that amount, I get it now

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018
wow. that said, it speaks volume to the fact that they can probably afford the 12 million (maybe?) they've seriously profited off the roms.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to know if they are actually gonna pay it or get out if it through bankruptcy or something. If Nintendo goes after more sites you have to assume it's because these sites are actually making quite a bit of profit.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Rip Nintendo games in ROM sites.

They better massively improve their classic game offering if they are taking down the only way to get some of these.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy high amount for a settlement, Nintendo is definitely sending a statement, but if they have that much cash to give then evidently rom piracy is a lot more profitable than I would have expected

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
That's a lot of damage.

I think Emuparadise has taken a right approach before by disabling the downloading of the games, but still preserve them. Otherwise, that site might suffer the same fate.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
I feel doing a better job at re-releasing and preserving games themselves would be the ultimate blow to piracy. Rather than just making big numbers appear in a court case.

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
These two were some of the largest ROM sites on the web. $12mm sounds like a lot, but it's also probably not too crazy either depending on their ad inventory and if they used to pay-click link services or had any sort of premium membership.

Jan 2, 2018
I have honestly no real sympathy for these two, they knew what they were doing. Nevertheless I hope this won't ruin their life, even though it's their own fault.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
They're not going to pay the 12 million. I'm sure the price will be lower. This was just done for anyone else who is thinking about hosting Nintendo ROMs. I'd have no problem with this decision if Nintendo will do something in order to preserve their backlog of games that came out on their older systems but you know they won't.

Rip Nintendo games in ROM sites.

They better massively improve their classic game offering if they are taking down the only way to get some of these.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Now that's a funny joke.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I don't visit ROM sites but I assume they run ads, no?
Probably, but the type of people that know about emulation sites to begin with are likely to be computer literate enough to also block them if they so choose.

Plus, the ads on emu sites aren't exactly going to the big money ones, like Coca-Cola etc.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Nintendo, if you are getting rid of rom sites(which you do have a right to do), the least you can do is make your games available to purchase and buy.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
While I love Nintendo for their games and all, fuck this. This is definitely taking it too far, especially when right now you can only pay for NES games on the Switch.

The worst part is that roms aren't going anywhere. Yeah, there'll be harder to find (read: maybe click a few more links), but it's not like they'll disappear from the internet.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
I always chuckle that some here still believe that a lawcase will stop piracy. One site gets taken down two other will replace it.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
It still just boggles my mind that Nintendo doesn't sell their roms for a bit cheaper and a wider variety. It sucks because I would buy a ton more if they would let me easily play their Virtual Console games on multiple platforms and for cheaper. I mean SNES games a 8-10$ if I remember correctly was crazy. I would rather just bring out my old consoles.