AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Okay I'll get this tomorrow, will I be able to finish before Elden Ring DLC?
It'll take between 15-30 hours to finish it where 15 is rushing straight to the ending and 30 is getting everything. Since you would have around 4 days to beat it that would mean spending about 4-7ish hours per day.
Edit: just checked the steam page and I'm seeing some people's hours have gone over 30 hours. Steam is saying I'm at 35 hours played so it might actually be closer to like 20-40 hours to finish.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

either way, I haven't played Nine Sols, but believe it or not, back when Hollow Knight came out, before it became the juggernaut it became, there was only a handful of us singing it's praises and most people were ignoring it. It was quite frustrating, Nabs will surely remember this. So this happening again doesn't surprise me.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Hopefully, word of mouth and console release will help eventually.

Anyway, do not sleep on the unbounded counter, with some jades it can quickly rack up internal dmg on bosses. It may seem daunting, but you can continue to charge it after the initial regular parry so you don't have to use it on reaction on the first hit of an enemy combo. It helped a lot against the final boss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yam's

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
I'm feeling an itch for a metroidvania to play in the summer. Animal Well didn't quite do it for me.

For those that have played both, would you recommend Prince of Persia TLC or Nine Sols?

I liked Nine Sols more, but I'm probably in the minority. The combat, story/characterizations, and setting are more to my taste in Nine Sols.

PoP has better platforming sequences and puzzles, though. I absolutely loved those.

But they're both very much worth playing; you cannot go wrong picking either of them.

Mar 19, 2021
It'll take between 15-30 hours to finish it where 15 is rushing straight to the ending and 30 is getting everything. Since you would have around 4 days to beat it that would mean spending about 4-7ish hours per day.
Edit: just checked the steam page and I'm seeing some people's hours have gone over 30 hours. Steam is saying I'm at 35 hours played so it might actually be closer to like 20-40 hours to finish.

Might be tight then, I'll see! If not, I'll definitely pick it up after ER

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I liked Nine Sols more, but I'm probably in the minority. The combat, story/characterizations, and setting are more to my taste in Nine Sols.

PoP has better platforming sequences and puzzles, though. I absolutely loved those.

But they're both very much worth playing; you cannot go wrong picking either of them.
I actually fell off PoP maybe halfway through the game. It's hard to pinpoint why, but I think at the end of the day you can have the most fluid combat and movement mechanics in the sub-genre but it dosen't mean much if the world itself isn't very interesting to explore, surprising, or highly rewarding. I was reminded of 2014's Strider, which I remember feeling fun and great to play but literally nothing else about the game. I forgot I even played PoP earlier this year.

Nine Sols sounds more up my alley, think I'll give it a shot in the next couple weeks or so.

Last edited:

Krepu

Nov 14, 2018
I actually fell off PoP maybe halfway through the game. It's hard to pinpoint why, but I think at the end of the day you can have the most fluid combat and movement mechanics in the sub-genre but it dosen't mean much if the world itself isn't very interesting to explore, surprising, or highly rewarding. I was reminded of 2014's Strider, which I remember feeling fun and great to play but literally nothing else about the game. I forgot I even played PoP earlier this year.

Nine Sols sounds more up my alley, think I'll give it a shot in the next couple weeks or so.

I'd say the exploration, level design and and area design of PoP is better than Nine Sols, but Nine Sols does have a much more engaging story and setting, which might be enough to keep you engaged through to the end

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Final boss might be my favourite 2D boss fight ever. I managed to do a no damage fight heavily relying on jades that make internal dmg to my character and transfering it to the boss using the Unbounded Counter. Such a cool mechanic.

Last edited:

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
either way, I haven't played Nine Sols, but believe it or not, back when Hollow Knight came out, before it became the juggernaut it became, there was only a handful of us singing it's praises and most people were ignoring it. It was quite frustrating, Nabs will surely remember this. So this happening again doesn't surprise me.
It`s i bit suprising with Nine Sols as well since it`s made by RedCandleGames and both them and their previous two games were sometwhat famous and talked about.

I do think Nine Sols has found a decent playerbase though. It has 4400 reviews on Steam at the moment. That`s a pretty good number for a relatively small indie game. Crow Country for example which released last month and got a bit of buzz is at 2235 reviews (which is also a good number to be clear). Not that you should take too much from that, but a good amount of positive reviews do tend to point to it selling decently.

Deleted member 3924

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It`s i bit suprising with Nine Sols as well since it`s made by RedCandleGames and both them and their previous two games were sometwhat famous and talked about.

I do think Nine Sols has found a decent playerbase though. It has 4400 reviews on Steam at the moment. That`s a pretty good number for a relatively small indie game. Crow Country for example which released last month and got a bit of buzz is at 2235 reviews (which is also a good number to be clear). Not that you should take too much from that, but a good amount of positive reviews do tend to point to it selling decently.

Hard to say if that's a good comparison since 9Sols is only on PC and Crow Country is on everything except Switch. Hopefully the console versions come out and do well though.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Hard to say if that's a good comparison since 9Sols is only on PC and Crow Country is on everything except Switch. Hopefully the console versions come out and do well though.
Yeah. As I said we can`t make accurate estimates about a games success based on game reviews, but from what I have seen in the past 4400 reviews seems decent for an indie game. Not a smash hit and maybe not a lot for the next game from RedCandleGames, but in general it seems like a number a lot of indie devs would be happy with. This is obviously very speculative though.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Detention has 9,000 total lifetime reviews on steam. Nine Sols is halfway there. I'd say Nine Sols is likely going to be a much bigger success than Detention.

JasonCrown15

Jun 10, 2024
Not sure if this is the right place but my game crashed when I was on the lady Ethereal fight and I don't have any other save. I hope someone has a save before fighting her beacause I have no idea what to do

OP
OP
Yam's

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place but my game crashed when I was on the lady Ethereal fight and I don't have any other save. I hope someone has a save before fighting her beacause I have no idea what to do

That sucks :( have you tried your cloud saves?

https://store.steampowered.com/login/?redir=account/remotestorage&redir_ssl=1

Otherwise I would check the Steam Discussion. I know some people had save issues, one of the topics may help you. You also have their Discord on the Steam page.

JasonCrown15

Jun 10, 2024
That sucks :( have you tried your cloud saves?

https://store.steampowered.com/login/?redir=account/remotestorage&redir_ssl=1

Otherwise I would check the Steam Discussion. I know some people had save issues, one of the topics may help you. You also have their Discord on the Steam page.

Went to steam and saw a google drive link with boss saves but it is really big

steamcommunity.com

Deleted Save :: Nine Sols General Discussions

i was in the final boss fight and the game crashed and after restarted my computer the save was deleted.

NineSolsSaves.zip

Can anyone help me download it and send the one for lady Ethereal

OP
OP
Yam's

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Went to steam and saw a google drive link with boss saves but it is really big

steamcommunity.com

Deleted Save :: Nine Sols General Discussions

i was in the final boss fight and the game crashed and after restarted my computer the save was deleted.

NineSolsSaves.zip

Can anyone help me download it and send the one for lady Ethereal

Wasn't sure if you needed the one before or after her, so I put both of them.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

Pain. I still remember it clearly.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Pain. I still remember it clearly.
6l1S.gif

Mar 19, 2021
I just beat the boss in the Pagoda (early game) and this game really wants you to learn how to parry huh? Fun boss, reminds of the Sekiro parry check boss (Genichiro?)

Supple

Banned
Aug 1, 2022
NYC
I just beat Nine Sols last night. Everything was awesome. It's easily in my top five Metroidvania games of all time. It took me a bit to master parrying but when I did, it was so satisfying.

Last edited:

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
I think I'm around the half-way point (just got to Lady Ethereal but haven't started the area yet). Not sure I'm going to have time to finish it before Elden Ring DLC drops but I'm really enjoying it. It's definitely going to end up towards the top of my favorite metroidvania list.

JasonCrown15

Jun 10, 2024
Well got a save back from someone just to realise that they don't have the hedgehog jade, no pipe upgrades and 3 health vials. Just my luck : ) . I am consistently reaching Lady Ethereal third phase though so I think I will be able to beat her soon.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
Okay, I suck butt and have some questions about the final boss

I have only gotten to the second form once so I haven't had enough time to try and figure that out yet. However, I think I could get there consistently if I could quickly tell the difference between when I need to use the jumping counter and the unbounded counter.

I know the regular jumping counter they turn green but I feel like I don't have enough time to wait and see if they turn green. If they don't I am too late to do the unbounded counter and get rocked or vice versa where I do the unbounded counter and get talismaned like an idiot standing there.

Do I just need to git gud?

Also, please tell me I can choose whether or not to activate the third phase for the true ending. I am having a hard enough time as it is and don't need a third phase haha

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I suck butt and have some questions about the final boss

I have only gotten to the second form once so I haven't had enough time to try and figure that out yet. However, I think I could get there consistently if I could quickly tell the difference between when I need to use the jumping counter and the unbounded counter.

I know the regular jumping counter they turn green but I feel like I don't have enough time to wait and see if they turn green. If they don't I am too late to do the unbounded counter and get rocked or vice versa where I do the unbounded counter and get talismaned like an idiot standing there.

Do I just need to git gud?

Also, please tell me I can choose whether or not to activate the third phase for the true ending. I am having a hard enough time as it is and don't need a third phase haha
The timing with the attack where you can jump counter them is pretty forgiving, so my strategy was to move away from them until it's clear which one they're doing, and then jump and dash over to ping them. Eventually it just becomes muscle memory as to which one they're going to do.

Generally, I would suggest practising unbounded counters for this fight, with the jades that inflict internal damage for successfully countering. I used the full control talisman combined with those jades to do chunks of damage. But as I said to someone else in this thread, for me, this fight just took practise. Lots, and lots, of practise lol.

As for your question regarding the third phase:
It's determined by whether you chose to save the humans or solarians. If you went with humans you're gonna have a third phase. RIP.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
The timing with the attack where you can jump counter them is pretty forgiving, so my strategy was to move away from them until it's clear which one they're doing, and then jump and dash over to ping them. Eventually it just becomes muscle memory as to which one they're going to do.

Generally, I would suggest practising unbounded counters for this fight, with the jades that inflict internal damage for successfully countering. I used the full control talisman combined with those jades to do chunks of damage. But as I said to someone else in this thread, for me, this fight just took practise. Lots, and lots, of practise lol.

As for your question regarding the third phase:
It's determined by whether you chose to save the humans or solarians. If you went with humans you're gonna have a third phase. RIP.
Omg I did it lmao. I beat the whole thing and got the true ending. I can't believe I did it. I just kept going for a few hours and eventually got the pattern down. Fantastic game!

Yeah you're right, practice was the key. Boy did the last part blow my mind the first few times haha

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Speaking of platforming, the trailer made it look like the game would have far bigger and harder platforming sections, I don't think that there are any real "platforming" in this game, maybe just a specific climb and the heat exploding stage?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Omg I did it lmao. I beat the whole thing and got the true ending. I can't believe I did it. I just kept going for a few hours and eventually got the pattern down. Fantastic game!

Yeah you're right, practice was the key. Boy did the last part blow my mind the first few times haha
Congrats!

JasonCrown15

Jun 10, 2024
A few questions:
1 What is the item needed for Shuanshuan to create his coin?
2 After lady ethereal, where do i go next? i went to the sky tower but got stuck at one place

Last edited:

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
A few questions:
1 What is the item needed for Shuanshuan to create his coin?
2 After lady ethereal, where do i go next? i went to the sky tower but got stuck at one place
I can't remember the answer to the first question, but for question 2:

You can go to two areas: one is the sky tower, which requires a bunch of upward platforming to reach the Empyreal District (you may have missed a mystic butterfly spot to open the door at the top), or you can go all the way to the east/northeast and explore the grotto. The two areas are interconnected, and you can tackle their bosses in different orders, I think. If you're going for the true ending, I would also encourage you to make your way back to the starting village area and work through the quests that arise there (which are tied to feeding poison to Shennong).

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
If I just finished Lady Ethereal and got the double-jump, how much longer do I have? Can I reasonably finish this before Elden Ring tomorrow night?

mèx

Dec 30, 2017
Italy
The final boss is one of the best ever, top tier stuff. While it's for sure quite difficult, it's tuned very well, there is no bullshit attack that wipes you out instantly.
It takes time and patience to learn all the attack patterns, but it's worth it. It's one of those bosses where you go from "how the hell I'm supposed to beat it" to "look at me, I am the captain now".

The game itself is genuinely well-made, lots of cool boss/miniboss fights, and in general the combat is really tight.
Also this is not one of those bloated metroidvanias: you can get the true ending in 25-30 hours. That's the perfect length.

Hope more people try this out. A console release might help.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Credits rolling (theme is a fucking bop). GOAT tier metroidvania up there with some of the greatest for me. The final boss took me like a cumulative 5 hours to beat or something (looking at my total time, it probably just *felt* that way lol), but encompassed everything that I loved about the game. It was so fucking good.

Probably legit the best actual combat in a 2d game I can think of.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hunting for the 3rd Sol right now. This game is extremely my shit, very good Metroidvania so far.

Also really great game to play on the deck since it's default designed on moving with the analog stick (and is solid 60fps on Medium, didn't try High), the only downside is you miss out on some of the detail of the line work in the gorgeous background art.

edit: 5 down now, I'm hooked and seeing this until the end/100%. I think this might be the best Metroidvania I've played since Ori 2? It's really firing on all cylinders.

Last edited:

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
Ok, I was having an absolutely lovely time playing through this game, exploring every inch of the maps and cashing all my resources in for jades, abilities and other useful things. I thought I was pretty powerful due to all this and was getting through the game at an enjoyable pace. I was still hitting obstacles and had to retry bosses/mini-bosses, multiple (sometimes 20x or so) but I was patient and enjoyed climbing towards victory…

But now 30+ hours in, with 4 Sols down, I've hit a major block in the road :
Lady Ethereal phase 3 (not sure if final phase no spoilers please) is absolutely wrecking me. I've tried her probably upwards of 50x now with all manner of jade combos (I have 6 notches) and I must be missing something. It took me awhile to get to this point but I can usually get to phase 3 with 3 to 4 pipe charges and I have a pretty big health bar. It doesn't matter as her big charge attack hits me every single time and when she's not doing that it's incredibly challenging trying to pick her out while parrying or dodging all those copies of her… and I really didn't want to resort to asking for help here but I feel I'm missing something.

One thing I've noticed is that try as I might, I am not able to do the charge parry during this phase but I imagine that's where I'm failing. I just don't see a window for it except maybe during her charge move where she sends 2 copies and then dives down? Initially, I tried just doing the charge parry in hopes it would block all 3 attacks but that didn't work as the attacks are too staggered. I then tried parry-parry hold-release to block this combo but it's so tricky with how you have to face the attacks to parry properly.

I've had so much fun playing this game without any help or tips (even accidentally faced off against Jietong full strength) so I guess what I'm looking for here is a gentle nudge to help me with this phase. Finally, here is my load out:
- the quick hit jade
- the internal health regain upon hit jade
- the quick attack charge jade

- I have 3 arrow types to chose from of which the standards are fully upgraded I think. I usually enter phase 3 with a full set of 4 arrows too but fail to use them as I die too quickly.

TLDR; need gentle help with 5th Sol.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Ok, I was having an absolutely lovely time playing through this game, exploring every inch of the maps and cashing all my resources in for jades, abilities and other useful things. I thought I was pretty powerful due to all this and was getting through the game at an enjoyable pace. I was still hitting obstacles and had to retry bosses/mini-bosses, multiple (sometimes 20x or so) but I was patient and enjoyed climbing towards victory…

But now 30+ hours in, with 4 Sols down, I've hit a major block in the road :
Lady Ethereal phase 3 (not sure if final phase no spoilers please) is absolutely wrecking me. I've tried her probably upwards of 50x now with all manner of jade combos (I have 6 notches) and I must be missing something. It took me awhile to get to this point but I can usually get to phase 3 with 3 to 4 pipe charges and I have a pretty big health bar. It doesn't matter as her big charge attack hits me every single time and when she's not doing that it's incredibly challenging trying to pick her out while parrying or dodging all those copies of her… and I really didn't want to resort to asking for help here but I feel I'm missing something.

One thing I've noticed is that try as I might, I am not able to do the charge parry during this phase but I imagine that's where I'm failing. I just don't see a window for it except maybe during her charge move where she sends 2 copies and then dives down? Initially, I tried just doing the charge parry in hopes it would block all 3 attacks but that didn't work as the attacks are too staggered. I then tried parry-parry hold-release to block this combo but it's so tricky with how you have to face the attacks to parry properly.

I've had so much fun playing this game without any help or tips (even accidentally faced off against Jietong full strength) so I guess what I'm looking for here is a gentle nudge to help me with this phase. Finally, here is my load out:
- the quick hit jade
- the internal health regain upon hit jade
- the quick attack charge jade

- I have 3 arrow types to chose from of which the standards are fully upgraded I think. I usually enter phase 3 with a full set of 4 arrows too but fail to use them as I die too quickly.

TLDR; need gentle help with 5th Sol.
I don't think I even tried doing the charge parry on that fight at all, which may be the problem you're having?

You can dodge that attack fairly easily and get a few hits in. You want to air parry the clones and then dodge to the side when the attack comes down, at which point you'll be close enough to land a few hits and/or a Talisman before landing

The extra internal damage really didn't seem worth trying to get the timing right there

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
I don't think I even tried doing the charge parry on that fight at all, which may be the problem you're having?

You can dodge that attack fairly easily and get a few hits in. You want to air parry the clones and then dodge to the side when the attack comes down, at which point you'll be close enough to land a few hits and/or a Talisman before landing

The extra internal damage really didn't seem worth trying to get the timing right there

Oh man, of course, air parry so it's omnidirectional… then dodge. Makes sense. And just do my best avoiding the rest of the onslaught? I'll give it a try.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, of course, air parry so it's omnidirectional… then dodge. Makes sense. And just do my best avoiding the rest of the onslaught? I'll give it a try.
I had the opposite problem at one point for a different boss - I took a break from the game for a couple days and then totally forgot that ground parries are directional. Thought I was just flubbing inputs really bad or the attack animation was off.

Finished the game a couple days ago and yeah what a fantastic game. A must play for any modern Metroidvania or Hollow Knight fan honestly.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm having a bit of difficulty with this game, I feel like I am not playing it the way it wants me to. I find it too hard to deflect, so instead I am dodging more, I've beaten a few bosses this way but I don't know if I will be able to keep doing that. The game is quite difficult, I struggled with Sekiro too and never made it past the butterfly lady.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a bit of difficulty with this game, I feel like I am not playing it the way it wants me to. I find it too hard to deflect, so instead I am dodging more, I've beaten a few bosses this way but I don't know if I will be able to keep doing that. The game is quite difficult, I struggled with Sekiro too and never made it past the butterfly lady.
Parrying is essential to having a good time with this game, and specifically I would say essential for a few of the later game bosses. I would suggest going back to the first area and just practicing parrying/placing talismans until you have a good feel for it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Parrying is essential to having a good time with this game, and specifically I would say essential for a few of the later game bosses. I would suggest going back to the first area and just practicing parrying/placing talismans until you have a good feel for it.
Thanks Dmax, I will keep working at it. I even played every Souls game not parrying because I'm so bad at it so this game is def a challenge, it's tough on the Steam Deck too with how chunky it is and how small my hands are

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I started playing this today and I'm really liking it so far. Great art style and music and I'm always down for a parry-centric combat system.