• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Evidence for the largest single incident of mass child sacrifice in the Americas— and likely in world history—has been discovered on Peru's northern coast, archaeologists tell National Geographic.

More than 140 children and 200 young llamas appear to have been ritually sacrificed in an event that took place some 550 years ago on a wind-swept bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, in the shadow of what was then the sprawling capital of the Chimú Empire.

Scientific investigations by the international, interdisciplinary team, led by Gabriel Prieto of the Universidad Nacional de Trujillo and John Verano of Tulane University, are ongoing. The work is supported by grants from the National Geographic Society.

The skeletal remains of both children and animals show evidence of cuts to the sternum as well as rib dislocations, which suggest that the victims' chests were cut open and pulled apart, perhaps to facilitate the removal of the heart.

The remains of three adults—a man and two women—were found in close proximity of the children and animals. Signs of blunt-force trauma to the head and a lack of grave goods with the adult bodies lead researchers to suspect that they may have played a role in the sacrifice event and were dispatched shortly thereafter.

The 140 sacrificed children ranged in age from about five to 14, with the majority between the ages of eight and 12; most were buried facing west, out to the sea. The llamas were less than 18 months old and generally interred facing east, toward the high peaks of the Andes.

More: https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/04/mass-child-human-animal-sacrifice-peru-chimu-science/

Really fascinating and disturbing.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
550 seems low for the entire history of the world as the article is claiming

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
Human sacrifices are easily some of the most horrific aspects of any culture. Whenever I got sidetracked into reading about religious customs of Mayans, Aztecs or ancient Germanic tribes this was the one thing that made me shudder. South Central American pre-contact civilizations take the cake when it comes to that given how ingrained it was into their societies and the numbers involved.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Rationalizing child sacrifice as "population control."
Gruesome but probably had an effect on population control. Which is why population is such a problem for humanity now. Too many unproductive mouths to feed and all that

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It's pretty wild how human life really didn't mean all that much from like 150 years and further back.

I remember reading some diaries from the mid 1800s and people were basically blasé about the death of family members because you know, it happens.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
It's pretty wild how human life really didn't mean all that much from like 150 years and further back.

I remember reading some diaries from the mid 1800s and people were basically blasé about the death of family members because you know, it happens.

Though ritual sacrifice and death by influenza or typhoid both result in death, they are not of the same caliber, for lack of better word.

People in the west were blasé about death because it was as common as it was certain. Look at life expectancy in the 1800, and the average number of children borne to a family. You needed more hands to care for the lands which also increases the likelihood that a brother, sister, aunt, uncle, or cousin would bite it...if you were fortunate enough to not be a slave in the South, of course. That's a whole 'nother conversation.

On the other hand, child sacrifice--by virtue of being a sacrifice--was valuable. Those who practiced ritual sacrifice didn't sacrifice, for example, the diseased or handicapped, for that loss would not be considered a significant.

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It was their civilization's loss. Instead of leveraging those kids' potential they completely squandered it in the name of superstition.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck with the quality of life improvement if you are poor and overpopulated.

Overpopulation occurs as a result of quality of life improvement. We have countries all over the world getting clean water and electricity. Naturally population would increase, as it did in now developed nations. If you look at the developing world, population is decreasing and leveling off.

Therefore, the recent population boom is temporary. The number of humans alive will decrease over time.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn! Peru has all kinds of history. I love reading up on their past civilizations and the like. Thanks for this.

and lol did that dude really need to be banned?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird how the human mind came up with the idea that sacrifices will fix things.

They likely only worsened whatever crisis they faced.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Always fascinated by what superstitions they were trying to accomplish. Almost reminds me of the Children's Crusade. Isn't 550 years ago around the time that settlers started showing up, or is that too early and too far west?

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
Yes, child sacrifice as "population control" is incredibly dumb.

When Bezos of Amazon can raise the cost of Prime from $99 to $199 after the company posts record profits, (esp in the context of the company's labor conditions) I find any argument about "limited resources" and "overpopulation" unsustainable.

Overpopulation occurs as a result of quality of life improvement. We have countries all over the world getting clean water and electricity. Naturally population would increase, as it did in now developed nations. If you look at the developing world, population is decreasing and leveling off.

Therefore, the recent population boom is temporary. The number of humans alive will decrease over time.

Once again, an Occidental argument.

Try framing your thought process around (rural) India, China, and Africa, where the world's population is the most dense...and poor.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What magnitude of bad omen must they have been expecting to require this many in a sacrifice? Some really bad shit must've gone down beforehand.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Gruesome but probably had an effect on population control. Which is why population is such a problem for humanity now. Too many unproductive mouths to feed and all that

I know this person was banned...but the article actually says...

"Human sacrifice has been practiced in nearly all corners of the globe at various times, and scientists believe that the ritual may have played an important role in the development of complex societies through social stratification and control of populations by elite social classes."

Of course, the second half of their post gets a squint look.

Last edited:

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"Human sacrifice has been practiced in nearly all corners of the globe at various times, and scientists believe that the ritual may have played an important role in the development of complex societies through social stratification and control of populations by elite social classes."
Looks like mods owe someone an apology

lol well implying we should consider it now because of too many unproductive mouths to feed should be bannable anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi

I think one should pause to note the difference between my post, where I wrote in the past tense to acknowledge the practice as a religious one (from the position of history and anthropology), and their post, which cited child sacrifice as a valid way to manage populations in contemporary times, regardless of cultural practices and values.

Granted, when I did post it, I was still afraid....

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, child sacrifice as "population control" is incredibly dumb.

When Bezos of Amazon can raise the cost of Prime from $99 to $199 after the company posts record profits, (esp in the context of the company's labor conditions) I find any argument about "limited resources" and "overpopulation" unsustainable.

Once again, an Occidental argument.

Try framing your thought process around (rural) India, China, and Africa, where the world's population is the most dense...and poor.

So countries where the quality of life is improving? Where eventually these problems won't exist?

Oct 27, 2017
Gruesome but probably had an effect on population control.
giphy.gif

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/04/mass-child-human-animal-sacrifice-peru-chimu-science/
scientists believe that the ritual may have played an important role in the development of complex societies through social stratification and control of populations by elite social classes

if the scientists are saying the reason was population control, why is it ban-worthy to mention that in the thread?
Which is why population is such a problem for humanity now. Too many unproductive mouths to feed and all that
maybe this part of the post?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Looks like mods owe someone an apology
Not at all. The banned poster was talking about today. Talking like contemporary child sacrifice were something positive.

Also half the people raging at him in this thread. Y'all gotta reading the linked article before making some judgements.

Maybe you should read what the banned person actually wrote, tying today's "overpopulation" problems to a lack of sacrifices.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Control of population isn't the same as population control. The latter is just talking about merely numbers and overpopulation. The former literally means control of the population, like through propaganda for example.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Social control and a demonstration of power en masse.

Who would fuck with a ruling class that has the power to order the deaths of 150 children at once.

Oct 26, 2017
If they can sacrifice their enemy's captive children I don't see why they wouldn't sacrifice their livestock too.
That's not really how that worked. Live stock was never slaughtered unless for rituals or of they were too old to be economically viable. And Def. Not on the scale found here.
Besides, war captives were used as slaves and traded, the kids would have made great slaves.
Ritual killings are designed to sacrifice something important to improve the fate for their society. Sacrificing captives makes no sense for ritual sacrifices. It's like giving away your neighbours money to rag about your charitable endeavour.
Besides they wouldn't paint their victims and bury them facing a certain direction if they were just war captives.

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is this user banned? The article list this as a possible reason as well as others. "Rationalizing child sacrifice"? There's a lot of distasteful things going on right now as well as historically that can be rationalized.

Not saying christianity has been any better, but the ritual sacrifices must have freaked out the conquistadors. The adults found at the site is a curious thing as well, maybe they tried to save their kids?

Oct 27, 2017
Gruesome stuff, these old cultures and empires are fascinating in their beliefs and barbarity.

why are some of you guys defending someone who suggested that child sacrifice would be an effective way to control population by getting rid of the unproductive people nowadays?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's not really how that worked. Live stock was never slaughtered unless for rituals or of they were too old to be economically viable. And Def. Not on the scale found here.
Besides, war captives were used as slaves and traded, the kids would have made great slaves.
Ritual killings are designed to sacrifice something important to improve the fate for their society. Sacrificing captives makes no sense for ritual sacrifices. It's like giving away your neighbours money to rag about your charitable endeavour.
Besides they wouldn't paint their victims and bury them facing a certain direction if they were just war captives.

So they would be very valuable as slaves, but not a valuable sacrifice? And you say they would not slaughter livestock, but then they would for rituals.

So I don't see how anything you said indicates these may not have been a ritual sacrifice of enemy captives.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The preservation is pretty good. Creepy how you can still see hair on some of them, too. The one with the child holding it's hand in it's mouth is really something else. Wow!

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Why is this user banned? The article list this as a possible reason as well as others. "Rationalizing child sacrifice"? There's a lot of distasteful things going on right now as well as historically that can be rationalized.

Not saying christianity has been any better, but the ritual sacrifices must have freaked out the conquistadors. The adults found at the site is a curious thing as well, maybe they tried to save their kids?
Read it again:
Which is why population is such a problem for humanity now. Too many unproductive mouths to feed and all that
This is not about the past.