poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

The United States military has conducted a special operations raid targeting one of its most high-value targets, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of the Islamic State militant group (ISIS), Newsweek has learned. President Donald Trump approved the mission nearly a week before it took place.

Amid reports Saturday of U.S. military helicopters over Syria's northwestern Idlib province, a senior Pentagon official familiar with the operation and Army official briefed on the matter told Newsweek that Baghdadi was the target of the top-secret operation in the last bastion of the country's Islamist-dominated opposition, a faction that has clashed with ISIS in recent years. A U.S. Army official briefed on the results of the operation told Newsweek that Baghdadi was killed in the raid. And the Defense Department told the White House they have "high confidence" that the high-value target killed was Baghdadi, but further verification is pending.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who plays Trump in the Zero Dark Thirty style movie that just entered pre-production?

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no guys. Trump killed Baghdadi. I guess we can't impeach him anymore. Looks like we need to cook up a new witch hunt.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
He definitely wants this news to be the big subject talked about on the Sunday talk shows. Whatever can shrink impeachment discussion.
I am sure it will be the talk of the sunday morning shows, but will be forgotten by the afternoon. Bad guy as this dude might be he isn't Bin laden.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So are his aides gunna force him in the Oval office for this announcement where he looks like a constipated blob

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
There's 2 reasons I doubt this:
  • In order for him to have gone to Idlib he somehow would have needed to go through 2 active frontlines and hundreds of kilometers of territory under control of hostile factions
  • Going to Idlib makes no sense as the place is swarming with hostile factions, he'd be way safer hiding in the Syrian or Iraqi desert

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's 2 reasons I doubt this:
  • In order for him to have gone to Idlib he somehow would have needed to go through 2 active frontlines and hundreds of kilometers of territory under control of hostile factions
  • Going to Idlib makes no sense as the place is swarming with hostile factions, he'd be way safer hiding in the Syrian or Iraqi desert
Serious question, have they said they've killed him before and been wrong? Because I feel like this has happened multiple times.

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I recall on this level. I'm sure there's been low levels rumors because you'll always get those with high level targets like this.
Guess we'll find out soon enough.

The Russians thought they got him 2 years ago

Obama went on TV pretty soon after the Bin Laden rumors started, Trump should just announce it now even if it is pretty late in the East

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The Russians thought they got him 2 years ago

Obama went on TV pretty soon after the Bin Laden rumors started, Trump should just announce it now even if it is pretty late in the East
They might have to identify the body first, a person's appearance can change a lot over the years especially when you take a bullet to the face. For all we know they indeed got him but blew off half his head in the process.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_o3ciecvook1r426i4o1_500.gif

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
They might have to identify the body first, a person's appearance can change a lot over the years especially when you take a bullet to the face. For all we know they indeed got him but blew off half his head in the process.

If they did get him, I'll bet he doesn't get a proper Islamic burial thingy by the U.S. military like they said they gave Bin Ladin before dumping his carcass overboard into the sea.

Trump wouldn't stand for treating a dead muslim with even a shred of respect. Not that either Bin Ladin or al-Baghdad deserve any.

Nov 1, 2017
Actually, this is not true at all. Eliminating leaders or High Value Targets (HVT) is proven to be the most efficient counter-terrorism program around the world. Look at what happened to Al-qeada after bin laden's death. They aren't a threat to any country anymore.

This same strategy was used by US and Kurdish forces during the assault on ISIS by targeting it's important commanders, who were actually experienced generals in saddam's army. This crippled ISIS fighting ability and gave Kurdish troops the upper hand.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually, this is not true at all. Eliminating leaders or High Value Targets (HVT) is proven to be the most efficient counter-terrorism program around the world. Look at what happened to Al-qeada after bin laden's death. They aren't a threat to any country anymore.

I totally forgot how terrorism was defeated after the death of bin Laden, and that nobody stepped forward to fill that vacuum.