Oct 25, 2017
https://www.gsmarena.com/amazing_vivo_apex_fullview_concept_handson-news-29804.php

gsmarena_020.jpg

gsmarena_005.jpg

gsmarena_013.jpg

In the case of the APEX demo device, in particular, the top and side bezels around the display measure only 1.8mm, while the bottom one is just 4.3mm.

Another potentially game-changing feature vivo is showcasing in the APEX is a world-first half-screen, in-display fingerprint scanning technology. It is a logical next step, building on the in-display, single spot technology in the vivo X20 Plus UD smartphone. The technology is similar and optical in nature, the main difference being, you can put your finger anywhere in the bottom half of the display to read the print.

Technological similarities in mind, it comes as no surprise that the APEX uses an OLED panel and blasts its backlight intensely during scans to allow for the reader itself to see your reflected fingerprint pattern. Just like on the X20 Plus UD, the process feels really sci-fi, but still has some limitations and kicks to work out. For one, you do have to press on the screen relatively hard, probably to spread out the skin, separate the lines and get them as close to the reader as possible. Speed and accuracy are also not great in the current state of the tech. It's clearly not ready for prime time in an actual end-user product, but it's getting there.

There are a couple of other interesting aspects about the APEX as well. Since vivo's new nearly edge-to-edge display leaves almost no room for anything else on the front, innovative solutions were in order to turn the APEX into a functional phone. For one, you need an earpiece. To that end, vivo has a new Screen SoundCasting Technology. It vibrates the entire screen to produce sound like a speaker. It is quite reminiscent of the original Xiaomi Mi Mix, only louder, since vivo is leveraging it as both a speaker and an earpiece.

This meant we could hold the demo unit in any orientation we desired and still have a conversation. That includes holding the back side up to our year. To our surprise, the APEX still managed to figure out what we are doing and turn off its display, regardless of whether we were covering the under-display proximity sensor or not. The only downside to this mode of operation is that you can't really expect to have private conversations. The Xiaomi Mi Mix has similar issues as well.

Last, but not least on the interesting innovations list is vivo's solution to the selfie camera problem. Namely, that you can't realistically fit one on the front of the device. The answer here is a motorised, periscope-style module on the top bezel of the phone. 8MP, in the demo unit. Whenever you switch to the selfie camera, it extends up in just 0.8 seconds, then closes neatly back up. It was loads of fun to play around with, even with the included, extremely bare-bones camera app.

Some neat ideas here as the war against bezels continue. Some issues are mentioned in the article about the fingerprint sensor and phone headset tech, but its a concept. I'm thinking we should be seeing production ready stuff by end of the year or early 2019 at the latest.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's an interesting concept, but it sounds like effectively any phone call done without a headset will be default on speaker phone. So there's definitely room to grow. Fascinating concepts though, which will be standard soon enough.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I can't see that pop up camera standing up to the real world. It would quickly become the most broken/warranty claimed piece on any phone that uses it.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the amount of concessions being made to chase that screen body ratio...it's not worth it, on this phone at least.

Deleted member 11173

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is terribly ugly. Peak smartphone is here, time to shake it up with something different. Bring on the foldables or whatever wacky crap is out there.

It is sad that only two companies are making money doing this and there is no one left to take risks to see what works.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That is terribly ugly. Peak smartphone is here, time to shake it up with something different. Bring on the foldables or whatever wacky crap is out there.

It is sad that only two companies are making money doing this and there is no one left to take risks to see what works.
I'm probably in the minority who doesn't want a foldable. Folding creates extra bulk; give me my flat slab.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see that pop up camera standing up to the real world. It would quickly become the most broken/warranty claimed piece on any phone that uses it.
Dunno if it would ever go mainstream but it could be an interesting niche product. I never use my front facing camera because the phone always flips the image so it looks like ass, so I could definitely see myself buying something like this

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the fascination with no bezel... Buttons are useful yo! Way more so than gestures or whatever they are trying to push instead.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The definition of over designed and over engineered.
There is literally no reason to completely eliminate edges so that you constantly have to make compromises.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand the appeal of a small bezel. When I hold my phone tightly, my fingers end up touching the screen inadvertently causing problems.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing says reliability more than adding MORE moving parts that can just fail.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like that camera will be the first thing that stops working after a couple years.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
One less thing that can break
Until you're forced to make the camera pop up from out of the body....

I find the whole bezel-less fad kind of ridiculous. After a certain point I really don't give a shit, and it seems like they're just pulling selling points out of their ass until the next big real innovation in smartphones..... like flexible screens.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
It's an interesting concept, but it sounds like effectively any phone call done without a headset will be default on speaker phone. So there's definitely room to grow. Fascinating concepts though, which will be standard soon enough.
Actually, there's a super rad tech that makes the screen act as a speaker, so no other speaker, and only makes sound when pressed against your head.

It was used in the Sharp Aquos Crystal, which I had for a while and greatly enjoyed.

https://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-Crystal-Silver-Mobile/dp/B00O15E3MQ

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Phone looks really boring but the tech is really cool. Nice to see a phone manufacturer trying out new things instead of releasing same old stuff and calling it the phone of the future.

Side note: First time I've seen a video about a smartphone where the screen actually flickers on the video. What's up with that?

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm a sucker for screen real estate so if this was real, this would definitely be the phone for me. I don't care about the front camera all that much, I only use it the first time just to check if it works and then forget it exists.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
How about putting the front camera bits on a spring release mechanism like the matrix phone? heheh

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Until you're forced to make the camera pop up from out of the body....

I find the whole bezel-less fad kind of ridiculous. After a certain point I really don't give a shit, and it seems like they're just pulling selling points out of their ass until the next big real innovation in smartphones..... like flexible screens.

Yeah the camera solution is dumb. I think the biggest selling point for me is that bezel-less makes the screen bigger without making the phone bigger.

OP
OP
Jeff ChickenDig
Oct 25, 2017
That pop up cam would prob be a nightmare if you use cases, wouldn't it?

probably just gonna be a hole there, like for like spens on a note phone.

People here gonna be really disappointed when flexible screens break if they are fussy about this mechanical popup thingy. Feel like its possible to design one that can last you your typical 2 years of phone life. People 'generally' don't take that many selfies anyways. I think i take maybe 5 times since 2009?

Anyways this tech reminds me of oppo's stuff a few years ago with a rotating rear camera thingy

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The entire phone screen vibrating to act as a speaker for calls is a terrible idea.

holloway

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
I'm okay with a thin bezel across the top and bottom of the phone like the V30. Having literally the entire front be a screen seems like such an arbitrary goal that eschews usability and features for the sake of achieving some platonic ideal that no one is actually asking for.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the fascination with no bezel... Buttons are useful yo! Way more so than gestures or whatever they are trying to push instead.
Somehow, after getting used to gestures on an iPhone X, they're a pretty good replacement for tactile buttons because once you get good at the gestures you can do stuff really fast.

I agree though, the bezel-less display stuff needs to stop. It's purely an aesthetic pursuit at this point and it's sucks that all tech media is swooning over it.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably in the minority who doesn't want a foldable. Folding creates extra bulk; give me my flat slab.
I think the future is Capsules. You keep your phone in one of these:
latest

And when you need it, you just press the button and throw it to the ground, but gently so it doesn't break the phone
tumblr_inline_npljsuQAXG1snqrh9_500.gif

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It's a neat concept, but ultimately not really necessary. I'm with the crowd that doesn't get the obsession with engineering phones to remove bezels, I don't think it's a good look holding a "pure screen".

And why does it seem like nobody is actively focusing on improving battery tech? When was the last time we had a real upgrade in this department? If Apple/LG/Samsung or any of the other big companies will announce a phone with revolutionary battery that goes on without charging for a few days, THAT will be something to wow at and people will buy the shit out of it.
But no, it seems like we're all about removing bezels and headphone jacks. SIGH

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
The Xiaomi mix 1 has a ceramic body that vibrates for audio, it's something I can't explain. The screen to body ratio is in the high 80s I think. Same with the Mix 2.

The Mix 2s is being revealed soon as well.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I guess I'm going against the crowd, but I actually really like it! I dig the all-screen aesthetic a lot, the under-screen fingerprint sensor's a really cool technology to see, y'know, actually working, and the pop up camera's cute. I'm also not really concerned about reliability? I mean, it is indeed an additional moving part, but it's entirely possible to engineer a mechanism like that so it'll last until the phone's effectively obsolete.

I had a sliding Samsung mobile - the D600E - back before smartphones became a mainstream thing, passed down from my sister, who'd already been using it for a year, and the thing held up to loads of abuse - drops, constant fiddling with the slider when I was bored - and never broke—like, I just pulled it out of the drawer it's been sitting in for the better part of a decade to check, and it still slides totally fine.

Deleted member 20295

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I love it, and i want it - give it to me.

Seriously though, that looks great and the popup camera is a great solution to the camera position (to avoid a notch) - as long as its robust.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
How come they don't put the speaker on the back of the phone and have the screen go dark when you're on a call? That would free up the front for a screen and allow you to use a phone like normal? You'd be talking into the back of the phone but who cares?