Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
New Mutants has finally been given a new release date after it was taken off the spring 2020 calendar due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The horror-tinged X-men spinoff will hit theaters on Aug. 28, 2020, Disney announced Wednesday. Disney inherited the film when acquiring 20th Century Fox.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘New Mutants’ Finally Lands New August Release Date

'The New Mutants' has finally been given a new release date after it was taken off the spring calendar due to the coroanavirus pandemic.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So sent to die in movie theaters while a pandemic will still be happening. Brilliant.
I mean, by that metric, Tenet and Mulan are also sent to die.

Studios expect that theaters are open by July, even if at limited capacity. In fact, this might be beneficial for the movie, given that every other major release got delayed, it might be one of the few big movies to release until after summer.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I mean, by that metric, Tenet and Mulan are also sent to die.

Studios expect that theaters are open by July, even if at limited capacity. In fact, this might be beneficial for the movie, given that every other major release got delayed, it might be one of the few big movies to release until after summer.
My thinking as well. People hungry for the theater experience might just go see it when there is little else to see.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
So we're going to still be in the weeds of this thing by August then...

I guess it's a sign of belief that they still want to put it in theaters instead of on Hulu/D+? Unless there's a legal reason they have to give it a theatrical run?

EDIT: Who wants to start making bets between us finally seeing this versus seeing "The Day The Clown Cried" released?

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
At this point I'm assuming that Disney/20th give this a half hearted release given that A) it has been a 'troubled' production which everyone has been painfully aware of and B) it will be going straight to HBO Max for it's first Pay TV window which presumably will be early 2021.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
As with Tenet, people are fucking mad if they think they'll get any significant number of butts in seats before the winter at the very earliest.

Worse than that, if they encourage people to go to the cinema they're literally going to get people killed.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

At this rate they could force the movie to download on everyone's computers and the files would find some way to corrupt themselves before the download completed. Movie's fucking cursed lmao.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever has been managing this movie is doing a hell of a job

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
As with Tenet, people are fucking mad if they think they'll get any significant number of butts in seats before the winter at the very earliest.

Worse than that, if they encourage people to go to the cinema they're literally going to get people killed.

You mean spring 2021 right? Because round 2 of the virus in winter is going to be fucking bad.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Just put it on D+ to help drive subs. FFS this isn't rocket science.
HBO still has first digital streaming rights on any X-Men films produced through 20th Century Fox. So they can't just put it on streaming without giving one of their major competitors free exclusive content.

Direct to VOD might still be an option, but I imagine Disney still believes they can get SOMETHING out of this movie.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

I imagine part of the calculation is that reduced/limited attendance may be offset by the fact that there'll be fewer movies playing, which means more screens open than usual. So maybe Tenet doesn't have an explosive OW gross and run a strong 3-4 weeks, but it could perform decently over a 2+ month period playing on, like, one-third of multiplex screens during that time. (These numbers are made up but you catch my drift)

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to see this. Charge $30 and release it on streaming, and I'll happily pay it.

I'm not going to a fucking theater in August. Even with the safe and slow reopen that's like one of the harder types of entertainment options to keep safe because of the way they're set up. Even if they did staggered seating the only way I'd be OK with it was if there were only two seats available on each row, on the ends. And then every other row spaced.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
This is it. We're gonna die before this movie sees the light of day this time.

Take the fucking hint.