kai-screenshots-v0-t8h9n1v51ubd1.jpg

kai-screenshots-v0-2u94u1v51ubd1.jpg

kai-screenshots-v0-mwrlq1v51ubd1.jpg

kai-screenshots-v0-h6csk1v51ubd1.jpg

kai-screenshots-v0-1d6vl1v51ubd1.jpg

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I know nothing of the details here (I'm on chapter 3 of Daybreak), but this feels like CS III again, lots of characters from older arcs returning as what seem to be main characters of the game.

But well, knowing that Daybreak II will come soon-ish, maybe in less than 2 years we can play Kai.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I recognize some of those characters...are they tying in the other arcs again?? Bruh 😩 Why

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Since this game only releases in Japan this year and English speakers haven't played daybreak 2....everything lol

screens are of returning characters that largely haven't shown up in the current arc yet

At first glance, returning characters from 2 previous arcs, and one that is spoilers for what happen in their arc.

Some old characters returning from six or seven games ago.

Ah ok, thanks for the heads up. Was curious as I know story stuff for these games is a BIG deal.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Wdym? That's part of what makes the series so great.

Mostly selfish reasons because I was hoping for a clean break. I started TOCS, but then learned that it had ties to Zero and Trails and it just felt like too much baggage and I stopped. This having ties or will be tying up previous narrative threads puts me off from playing Daybreak ngl...

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Here for the inevitable return of the best RPG protag ever made tears, don't mind me.

(They all look great.)

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I don't hate Rean, and I know bringing back leads happens, but Rean had 5 fucking games. It's too soon.

I do hate Crow, worthless trash character.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly selfish reasons because I was hoping for a clean break. I started TOCS, but then learned that it had ties to Zero and Trails and it just felt like too much baggage and I stopped. This having ties or will be tying up previous narrative threads puts me off from playing Daybreak ngl...

The series is going towards the ending in a couple of games so Daybreak 1 being a break from older material is one of the last times it'll happen. The rest will be pretty connected.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018

Well, as many people said, the "uniqueness" of Trails is that it's telling a story across many games, so that should not be unexpected. In any case, surely it's not hard to find a Youtube video summary if you're not interested in playing the earlier games.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
The series is going towards the ending in a couple of games so Daybreak 1 being a break from older material is one of the last times it'll happen. The rest will be pretty connected.

Oh really? Didn't know that. Man that's making me question if I even wanna attempt getting Daybreak now. I know there's people who watched recaps but I dunno if I can do that. Will probably end up giving up on the series altogether.

Well, as many people said, the "uniqueness" of Trails is that it's telling a story across many games, so that should not be unexpected. In any case, surely it's not hard to find a Youtube video summary if you're not interested in playing the earlier games.

Yeah maybe. I had the misconception of Daybreak as I thought it was breaking away from previous arcs, but I guess not. At this point I'd have to watch a recap of how many games? Like 5 or 6? I only ever finished Trails in the Sky. I mean, the title of the OT on era is "yes you can start with this one" lmao I hate this.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I think nearly ever game in the series contains summaries of past games at the title screen.

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah maybe. I had the misconception of Daybreak as I thought it was breaking away from previous arcs, but I guess not. At this point I'd have to watch a recap of how many games? Like 5 or 6? I only ever finished Trails in the Sky. I mean, the title of the OT on era is "yes you can start with this one" lmao I hate this.
This stuff is always down to personal preference, but you don't have to play every game to understand what's going on when a returning character shows up. These games are pretty good about giving you the details you need. You don't even have to read the in-game recaps or encyclopedia. It just happens through dialogue.

Even if you're worried about spoiling games you might decide later that you want to play, the later games don't necessarily do that. You may know certain people live or where they wind up, but you won't know exactly how they got there, except to the extent it matters in their current role.

People who played the games in order will tell you they enjoyed it most that way, but that's also the only way they've experienced the story for the first time. Plenty of people who played out of order have said they enjoyed it too, and there's no way to judge whose first-time experience was objectively the best. Just play in a way that makes you actually want to play. Don't worry about missing out on something, because the other games are still there to be enjoyed if you fall in love with the series.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Falcom hit the "in case of emergency, bring back Rean" button finally.
Now make find a way to make van a rean doppelganger implying you played the 2 daybreaks as rean, After all.
And than connect rean to the very First cutscene of Sky 1 with a time artifact or connect him to aidios itself.
More rean to save the day lol

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
I really liked Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 3, but god duuuude, how come these games still look like PS3 games. A bit of a graphic or art style overhaul would be wonderful.

Capndrake

Oct 28, 2017
People who played the games in order will tell you they enjoyed it most that way, but that's also the only way they've experienced the story for the first time. Plenty of people who played out of order have said they enjoyed it too, and there's no way to judge whose first-time experience was objectively the best. Just play in a way that makes you actually want to play. Don't worry about missing out on something, because the other games are still there to be enjoyed if you fall in love with the series.
While this is kind of true, I imagine it can get pretty demoralizing when a game keeps introducing one character after another that makes you go "oh I guess I'm supposed to know them... but I haven't played their game(s) so this does absolutely nothing for me". CS3 and 4 and Reverie in particular bring back SO many Sky and Crossbell characters, that's got to be ridiculous for someone who only ever touched Cold Steel.

I played each game as it released in English (with the exception of Zero and Azure which I played with the fan translations before CS3) and I'm very glad I did.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
This stuff is always down to personal preference, but you don't have to play every game to understand what's going on when a returning character shows up. These games are pretty good about giving you the details you need. You don't even have to read the in-game recaps or encyclopedia. It just happens through dialogue.

Even if you're worried about spoiling games you might decide later that you want to play, the later games don't necessarily do that. You may know certain people live or where they wind up, but you won't know exactly how they got there, except to the extent it matters in their current role.

I played the games they were localized which was all over the place release wise. I wish I could have played them in order, which is why when people ask I do suggest it.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
I only played the first two games, Trails in the Sky 1 and 2, do any of the characters from these game still show up/ play a role in the most recent games?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really liked Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 3, but god duuuude, how come these games still look like PS3 games. A bit of a graphic or art style overhaul would be wonderful.

You overestimate how many people work at Falcom for them to be pulling top-of-the-line stuff. 😅 (I haven't kept up with numbers lately, but IIRC the number is often always <100 employees).

Ara63

Nov 21, 2023
Nobody should be all that surprised by this; Trails arc protagonists always show back up pretty early into the next arc. I'm more surprised it took until game 3, honestly.

Well, unless you're Kevin and it takes forever.

Keiriks

Omicron Persei 8 Logic
Aug 19, 2021
Reykjavík, Iceland
Rean won't leave us alone

he's like that friend who you don't hate exactly but hanging out with him is really exhausting and even when you turn him down he still just shows up anyway and everyone is too nice to tell him no so we're forever locked in a cycle of spending all spending spending all our time with Rean Reanson and his not allowed to be gay not boyfriend Crow

Trails.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
how nice of [REDACTED] and his boyfriend [REDACTED] to take their adopted daughter [REDACTED] on a tour of Calvard

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. There's already another one!? And Rean is the lead again?
Well, if they're tying up everything on Zemuria I guess it makes sense to bring back old characters but I'm so fucking sick of everyone I'm seeing in these pictures (except Kevin). I'll pass.
I'm still wondering if I should bother with Kuro and that one at least has the incentive of introducing a new cast.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. There's already another one!? And Rean is the lead again?
Well, if they're tying up everything on Zemuria I guess it makes sense to bring back old characters but I'm so fucking sick of everyone I'm seeing in these pictures (except Kevin). I'll pass.
I'm still wondering if I should bother with Kuro and that one at least has the incentive of introducing a new cast.
Rean isn't the lead, this is essentially still Kuro/Daybreak 3 despite the name change and so Van is still the lead. This stuff was specifically from a article featuring the returning CS characters (though some like Rufus were featured in an earlier one, and there are some not revealed yet that seem like obvious inclusions for various reasons that I expect to see later)

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

If they were going to do a clean break for good, then there would be no reason to stop the franchise, ever. Might as well just keep it going for good.

Trails needs an endpoint because they're all connected.

....These games were on PS3 at one point in CS1 and CS2. So we know what that looks like, and it is not this.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Should have gone for Unreal engine: Imagine rean HD with the Power of Unreal engine. Now use rean Unreal engine as the lead character for closing the franchise to cut the development costs lol
Anyway Maybe After kiseki falcom Will change its engine...

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Kondo would approve.
Anyway curious to see if Kai Will have Better Sales with the name change to bring on (long Lost) fans on board