DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
ju8gs8r.png

Neon has acquired "Ferrari," the next film from Michael Mann. It will release the drama in theaters nationwide on Christmas Day. The film, Mann's first since 2015's disastrous "Blackhat," will star Adam Driver as Enzo Ferrari and Penélope Cruz as his wife, Laura Ferrari.
The ensemble includes Shailene Woodley, Jack O'Connell, Sarah Gadon, Patrick Dempsey and Gabriel Leone. According to an official description, the film is set during the summer of 1957 and follows Enzo Ferrari as he deals with the possible bankruptcy of his company, as well as his stormy marriage and the death of his son. Against that backdrop, Ferrari wagers everything on one race, the 1,000-mile trek across Italy, the Mille Miglia.
"Michael Mann, one of the most innovative and influential filmmakers in American cinema, was moved by the power of this intensely dramatic story to persist for years to bring it to the big screen," Neon founder Tom Quinn said. "'Ferrari' reaffirms Neon's continued commitment to supporting visionary auteurs who push the boundaries of cinema. Working with Michael Mann on 'Ferrari' is a dream come true for Neon."
variety.com

Neon Buys Michael Mann’s ‘Ferrari,’ Racing Drama With Adam Driver Will Open in 2023

Neon has acquired “Ferrari,” the next film from Michael Mann. It will release the drama in theaters nationwide on Christmas Day. The film, Mann’s first since 2015’s disastro…

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I knew this was being made but had no idea it would be 2023. New films from Mann and Scorsese movies this fall sounds great to me.

Tracksuit Larry

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 26, 2023
Whether it's good or not, there's two really solid bets here: It will vibe like crazy, and Neon is going to sell the hell out of that fact.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
cant wait, I've enjoyed all of Mann's movies save for Public Enemies tbh.

we're gonna get a contemplative driving scene with him and its gonna be beautiful.

Tracksuit Larry

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 26, 2023
Worth hunting down the director's cut, which will be easier once the Arrow blu-ray hits later this year.

Has that been sorted out? They initially announced they were going to include the Director's Cut, and then they issued a statement saying that wasn't actually happening anymore. Did they go back on that?

Kyonashi

Oct 24, 2017
UK
Has that been sorted out? They initially announced they were going to include the Director's Cut, and then they issued a statement saying that wasn't actually happening anymore. Did they go back on that?

I think to be fair it's all very obfuscated at the moment, it sounds like it all likelihood they're in negotiations to include it and the vagueness and delays have all surrounded those conversations. If not, the fan-made version floating around the internet is the best approximation we have.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Worth hunting down the director's cut, which will be easier once the Arrow blu-ray hits later this year.
If I can watch it on a streaming service I already have, great, maybe I'll give the movie a 4th shot. But I'm not giving anymore money to Blackhat. And Mann's director cuts have also always been pretty close in quality to the theatrical. None of them ever had a Kingdom of Heaven like upgrade. At least in my opinion.
I also would love to be wrong because everything before Public Enemies was amazing.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
If I can watch it on a streaming service I already have, great, maybe I'll give the movie a 4th shot. But I'm not giving anymore money to Blackhat. And Mann's director cuts have also always been pretty close in quality to the theatrical. None of them ever had a Kingdom of Heaven like upgrade. At least in my opinion.
I also would love to be wrong because everything before Public Enemies was amazing.

Blackhat is easily the biggest different between the cuts from his filmography (I'm assuming there isn't a director's cut of The Keep floating out there). Not sure what happened with Blackhat- whether it was the studio mandating the cut or Mann just making really poor decisions in an effort to make it more commercial. But it is a big difference IMO.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
No clue how this Mann keeps getting money after his last couple of stinkers. Sort of like Zemeckis. In for Adam Driver

Blackhat is actually good tho

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Always in for some Michael Mann even if some of his later works have been hit and miss.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, wasn't Christian Bale supposed to star in this?

Edit: also yeah, Blackhat was awful, like not even "so bad it's good" or "guilty pleasure", just terrible in every way that I can't believe it was directed by an established director.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
interested, i think most if not all of these trendy biopics have been great! :D looking forward to a new Mann one even if it doesn't include intense shootouts

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
Wait, wasn't Christian Bale supposed to star in this?

Edit: also yeah, Blackhat was awful, like not even "so bad it's good" or "guilty pleasure", just terrible in every way that I can't believe it was directed by an established director.
He left the project seven years ago and ended up in another Ferrari themed film, just on the opposite side with Ford.