Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The Let it Go vs Defying Gravity thread prompted this.

I often hear people say they either hate musicals, or they love them. I never know how to answer the question "do you like musicals?" myself. I do! I love a lot of them! But when people ask the question, they are very often thinking of the popular musicals of the last 40 years-- most of which I really dislike!

The big ones-- Phantom of the Opera. Rent, Les Mis, I cannot stand, or at very least don't "get" them. OTOH, I actually have gone to a fair number of shows and loved a lot of them. Hamilton is amazing (and maybe that ought to be exempt from this discussion because it's such and outlier) and I've see Fun Home three separate times, and Hedwig and the Angry Inch a number of times. The musicals I love I really, really, really love. Hedwig has a couple of my favorite songs of all time. Fun Home made me cry like crazy (and I don't usually do that with anything). And I've even seen a few musicals in the "just okay" category that were really fun experiences (Waitress, Beautiful (a jukebox musical of all things)). I generally like-but-not-love all the family animated musicals as well, although they're generally transient in my consciousness. I love quite a few classic-era musicals as well.

So musical theater fans-- you find yourself in the mainstream, or on the fringe, or in the middle? What do you like? I tend to think of them like any other form, like movies, where I might well like or dislike things apart from the general consensus. When I hear people discussing musicals, it seems there's more general agreement. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

What do you love or hate?

Last edited:

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I love Evita. Like way too much.
And Chicago
And Rent
I've listened to the soundtrack of Wicked multiple times but I've never seen it.

I have this album on my phone and frequently go back to it, actually.

220px-TheAndreLloydWebberCollection.jpg
MI0003154455.jpg

and if you want to get less technical - I'm also a huge sucker for Disney songs which I consider theater-esque for what I feel are obvious reasons.

*apologies to anyone who's ever driven by me emoting "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" at a stop light.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
My view when I was a kid watching Disney movies was "I like this story but I wish they wouldn't sing so much." That is still my view.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Well I like Wicked and Avenue Q. I'm pretty sure my body was present for Oklahoma once, I was a baby and mostly asleep.
Les Mis, Rent, Phantom? No thanks.

I like certain musicals, but I can't say I like the genre as a whole.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I like some musicals. Some just have amazing songs and music. I don't like the idea of musicals though :p

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone a fan of Company?

They did a gender-flipped ( Bobby -> Bobbie) version, and the cast album released a few weeks ago.

It's interesting. Some of the changes they make to accommodate the changes still stick out like a sore thumb, but it's still interesting.

Here's that version of Getting Married Today, which is now between Paul and Jamie (instead of Amy).

Also Bobbie now reminds them of the Chrysler Building instead of the Seagram's building. I don't know enough about New York to know what that means.

OP
OP
Ignatz Mouse

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I do like Evita a lot. That's about the extent of my Andrew Lloyd Weber love, although I haven't heard/seen a lot.

I saw and enjoyed Wicked, but it was kinda corny in hindsight. Apart from Popular, none of the music has every really stayed with me.

My most bitter disappointment in a musical was seeing The Addams Family in previews in Chicago. I'm a fan of the original comics, the TV show, and the Raul Julia movies and was excited to see what they'd do with it. They totally botched Morticia's character and about the only thing in it that was good was Fester.

OP
OP
Ignatz Mouse

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Les Mis is fun.
Hamilton is jolly.
Rocky Horror is the best.

Everything else makes me irate.

Oh, I love Rocky Horror. Not just for the typical experience, I love the movie/play itself. I also love the sequel, Shock Treatment (though much of the music is corny) which makes me *really* an outlier. I think it's fantastic.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
My enjoyment of musicals is pretty much determined by how much fun I have singing the songs.

So while I love singing some of the Phantom of the Opera songs, I think the plot and characters are boring. I love singing Miss Saigon's music, but it's an incredibly problematic play. Wicked takes away almost everything interesting about the novel, but having so many songs for my voice type is fun.

I adore all of Spring Awakening and bawled when I finally saw the revival on Broadway.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Simpsons taught me to love musicals, and what i love about them.

Basically I hate musicals that treat themselves seriously. I just can't buy it. So I agree with most of what OP said. But I love it when there are musical comedies – on TV, Simpson's, Kimmy Schmitt sometimes does this, Flight of the Conchords wasn't dancey but was sort of in this territory. Hamilton definitely. But yeah no Andrew Lloyd Webber or Rent or even Lion King musical, I can't controll the eye roll.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017

Basically I hate musicals that treat themselves seriously. I just can't buy it. So I agree with most of what OP said. But I love it when there are musical comedies – on TV, Simpson's, Kimmy Schmitt sometimes does this, Flight of the Conchords wasn't dancey but was sort of in this territory. Hamilton definitely. But yeah no Andrew Lloyd Webber or Rent or even Lion King musical, I can't controll the eye roll.

Honestly, this put into words what I could not really describe prior. Stuff like Monty Python's SPAMalot or Book of Mormon will have me humming tunes for DAYS because it's such a ridiculous premise to begin with that the singing appears to naturally happen, but Phantom of the Opera just isn't the magnanimous live art performance for me. I feel like this also explains why I love shows like Galavant or the musical numbers from the likes of The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers or Family Guy.

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
This is obviously the best musical ever written but seldom performed:

Also I was singing and dancing to this while making dinner this evening:

OP
OP
Ignatz Mouse

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

I do tend to love musicals that are more tongue-in-cheek (Guys and Dolls) if not outright absurd/parody (Book of Mormon or Avenue Q) but then again, here I am pimping Fun Home bigtime and it's pretty serious stuff (a coming out story by a girl/teen/woman told in contrast with her closeted father's suicide). But I guess it does have humorous numbers in it anyway.

Hamilton is also mostly serious, but is so amazingly inventive and playful with words and music that I don't think that matters.

meow

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I love (most) musicals and I watched them like a fiend when I first moved to NYC. I haven't seen one in ages though, maybe like a year?? I think I've seen 16 more recently (plus some plays), and 2 or 3 in my youth when I visited NYC. Haven't seen the really big ticket ones like Hamilton, Les Mis, Phantom, Lion King, DEH, or Book of Mormon.

My favorite out of what I've seen is actually probably Matilda. Completely magical. Groundhog Day was really good too and Tim Minchin is a lyrical genius and I need him to do something else on Broadway. My least favorite is Chicago by a long long loooooooooooooooooooooooong shot. The most overrated one I've watched was The Great Comet of 1812 and it was saved only by my everlasting love for Josh Groban. Sleeper hit that I didn't enjoy while watching but have ended up listening to the soundtrack an embarrassing number of times is the Spongebob Squarepants musical...lol.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't like Lloyd Weber musicals. They're too weird a mix of humourless camp and self-congratulatory smugness. But otherwise I love musicals.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
Even when watching something that isn't a musical, the music is always forefront in my brain while I'm watching. That's just how my brain is wired. As a result, I love just about all musicals so long as I dig the music, but I often can't get into a musical's soundtrack until I actually see the show. I hated Spring Awakening, for example, until I went and saw it and kinda got what the production was going for. I definitely don't go to them for plot overall, though. I love Rent but its story has serious issues.

I love the outright spectacle of musicals, though, and I've loved the "live" versions of them that TV networks have put out in recent years. Grease Live and Jesus Christ Superstar were really incredible at a technical level.

I think I'm sort of biased in my opinion as someone who did a ton of musicals in high school and then went on to do a ton of singing in college. Every point against them is 100% fair, but I personally can't get enough of it.

OP
OP
Ignatz Mouse

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I need to see Spongebob. The concept of a buch of different artists doing songs intrigues me. Plus, TMBG!

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a huge fan in general (opera is more my thing), but I've seen a fair number of musicals on Broadway, have some albums added to my playlists, and own a few scores.

Some of my favorites (no particular order):

West Side Story
Ragtime
Sweeney Todd
Once on this Island
The Secret Garden
Candide
Titanic

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do tend to love musicals that are more tongue-in-cheek (Guys and Dolls) if not outright absurd/parody (Book of Mormon or Avenue Q) but then again, here I am pimping Fun Home bigtime and it's pretty serious stuff (a coming out story by a girl/teen/woman told in contrast with her closeted father's suicide). But I guess it does have humorous numbers in it anyway.

Hamilton is also mostly serious, but is so amazingly inventive and playful with words and music that I don't think that matters.

The only really serious movie- musical that I liked was Dancer in the Dark. But she was basically going crazy and escaping into her own head. It's like a weird suspension of disbelief. When they break out into song and choreography it tends to take me right out unless the setup is as absurd as the performance.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I hate them, but I don't mind some of the classic songs or routines on their own, I just don't like the combination with acting.

Lloyd webber is never okay under any circumstances.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen Wicked and Hamilton and loved them both.

But I kind of have no interest in any others. Maybe Avenue Q.

Brenal

Nov 5, 2017
I love musicals, so much so that i have a. hard time distinguishing between the good and the bad ones, if i had to guess why i do, i would say it is because i grew up seeing disney and the golden age of Mexican Cinema and the musical numbers were always for me the highlights.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Like plays, love music, hate musicals.

An individual song may or maybe not be good, but something about stitching the narrative from the stuff literally makes me cringe.