Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I got a pink DualSense because I think it looks amazing. In less than a year it got terrible drift. I ended up getting a new one from my partner last year so I didn't replace it. Now, after nine months, the new one has terrible drift in the right stick as well. So I want to replace it through Sony. They have a self-service system on their website and it asks for the serial number. I follow the guide to find the serial number and it's IMPOSSIBLE to read. My controller is clean. Very clean actually. And in less than a year the text hasn't rubbed off. It's just an insane design decision to have the text be light grey over pink. My phone can't even read the QR code. I tried to chat in (500 people in line, over an hour wait) but the online support wont help without the serial number so I have to call in.

Tell me this is unreasonable to expect me to read this:
PsDvJXq.jpeg

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 controllers had the code get worn down or come off, when I had to send 2 of mine in they said to just enter like 0000000000 in the serial code box or whatever and it worked fine, they fixed it and sent it back both times. Maybe try that or ask support about that?

Zephyr

Nov 9, 2017
Spain
That pic its super blurry, if you adjust the levels of the image you can easily read it (if its in focus that is)

Jul 1, 2020
Your phone is too close to see the QR code clearly. Move it a bit further back and wipe your camera's lens before you scan.

OP
OP
Canucked

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
PS4 controllers had the code get worn down or come off, when I had to send 2 of mine in they said to just enter like 0000000000 in the serial code box or whatever and it worked fine, they fixed it and sent it back both times. Maybe try that or ask support about that?
I'll try this, thank you!

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is unfair OP, you shouldn't have to suffer because you choose the best color.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same one and I could read the text but it's SUPER small, like why the fuck? There's other text on it that is way bigger and less important. The QR code was hard for my phone to read because it's so small and my phone won't focus on it if I hold the phone close so I had to find the exact, perfect angle for it to pick up and it was way further back than I would have expected it to still work. Try holding it WAY too far back and see if that helps?

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I think my aging already bad eyes have made it so hard to read the small print on the back of electronics. I've found that using my phone to zoom in, take a picture and sometimes play with the photos levels helps a lot. I don't think its that much of a problem but it's mostly because I would prefer that the text wasn't there at all because I care a lot more than I probably should about Aesthetics and clean design.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Sony replaces controllers?????????????????????????????????????????????
This is the first time I ever read about this.

OP
OP
Canucked

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sony replaces controllers?????????????????????????????????????????????
This is the first time I ever read about this.
Technically the process is for a repair, but they probably just send a new or refurbished one. I'm actually not sure since I haven't been able to execute the process.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
If you're in Europe it's 3 years.

They told me in France no more than 3 months, 6 months if uou pay extra. I got my drift since thre third month and I never bothered contacting them. Not talking Sony. I didn't even know Sony has a awarranty, talkign about the store. IIRc, the console controller wasn't even part of the wrranty if sent alone you needed to send the whole package and console but not the controller separately.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
I know it probably isn't helpful right now, but for future I'd make a note of the serial number for future reference.

I have a Cosmic Red one which (depending on light) can be difficult to read the serial number.

Retsudo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
They told me in France no more than 3 months, 6 months if uou pay extra. I got my drift since thre third month and I never bothered contacting them. Not talking Sony. I didn't even know Sony has a awarranty, talkign about the store. IIRc, the console controller wasn't even part of the wrranty if sent alone you needed to send the whole package and console but not the controller separately.

I think they misled you. EU rules for electronics are 3 years warranty.

My dualshock 4 from my Destiny white ps4, had to be sent in because of stick drift.
The store sent it to Sony, and that was that.
I'm in Portugal, but the rules are supposed to be the same across the all of EU.

OP
OP
Canucked

Canucked

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
If you have an iPhone, try the system "magnifier" app. It's pretty good for this sort of thing.
But make sure you are not putting the camera too close. Cameras have a minimum distance they can focus, and if you go closer you're just making things blurry.
Ideally you'd lock the camera focus at its minimum distance (maybe using something it can focus on easily) and then just move the camera until the image of this text is clear on-screen.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Are you just aiming the phone camera in automatic mode?

Try laying a piece of white paper next to the QR code or serial so that the camera can focus on the contrast between the controller and paper (as well as lowering the exposure which should make the text legible).