tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
With the release of the converter bundle for the Analogue Pocket, it looks like I'll be getting a Lynx converter (I really wanted the Neo Geo Pocket converter since I never owned one of those). This is one system I have extremely limited experience with - a friend in elementary school got one at launch, and I vaguely remember playing Chip's Challenge (which was a fun little puzzler) and California Games (which I was never into the "olympic style minigames with confusing arcane controls" genre).

Any must-plays? IIRC there's a Ninja Gaiden 3 port on it. But the genres I like are the usual ones that were popular during that era - platformers, RPGs, fighting, shmup.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
S.T.U.N. Runner's only home console port was on the Atari Lynx which you should check out.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Gauntlet 3 has a wide variety of interesting classes to choose between, from a nerd to the Google Android!

IDRIE2d.jpg

Cantaloup

Oct 27, 2017
There aren't any RPGs on the system I'm aware of. For fighting games there's a port of Pit Fighter, and I think that's about it. There's a few beat 'em ups.

The Lynx shmup I recommend is Zarlor Mercenary, the other main one being Gates of Zendocon.

Although I wouldn't call it a platformer, Todd's Adventures in Slime World is sort of a Metroid-esque exploration game. Scrapyard Dog is more of a traditional platformer and is a port of the Atari 7800 game. I wouldn't call either a must-play, but Slime World is kind of interesting for what it was trying to do at the time. There are some other platformers on the system I haven't played.

The bulk of the Lynx's library is arcade ports, mostly of Atari Games/Midway titles. I recommend the following:

Rampart (I like this better than other versions because of the digital control in the placement phase)
STUN Runner (supposedly the best home port)
Xenomorph (you have the entire screen to yourself, rather than it being divided into thirds)
Rampage (solid port)
RoadBlasters (also a solid port)
APB (another solid port, but requires holding the system vertically)
Klax (good port if you like this game, also a vertical game)

Other titles I would recommend are:

Blue Lightning (which is an impressive -- for the system -- Afterburner-type game)
Chip's Challenge (which you already mentioned)
California Games (which you also already mentioned and was the pack-in game)

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think mentioned most of my favourites here:
www.resetera.com

Atari Lynx Appreciation Thread

Released in 1989, The Atari Lynx certainly didn't have the huge success of its rival, the Nintendo Game Boy. And there are a bunch reasons one could cite. It lacked major advertising, had a high price tag, the Atari name was associated with a bygone era, it sucked batteries like crazy, it...

The 3d-ish stuff was really cool for its time, and still is fun today. Blue Lightning, Roadblasters, Hydra, Battlezone 2000, STUN Runner, Xybots. Electrocop might take a bit more adjustment to play compared to arcade style games but it's pretty neat. Cybervirus is one of the better homebrew releases.

Lynx doesn't have the level of 2d platformer goodness of GB or GG. Toki and Rygar are worth playing, though. And Joust is a great port for more old school platform-ish gaming. For 2d shooters, I like Raiden and Zaku. I have a lot of attachment to Zendocon but it is a flawed game with lots of filler levels.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Rampart is my favorite version of the game, and the Lynx game I have played the most.
Ninja Gaiden, an simple but good adaptation of the arcade game.
Dracula is an interesting adventure game with a cool look.
Rygar is good, too.

There is a lot of stuff that you should try at least once, since they are very impressive tech demos, like Electrocop or Shadow of the Beast.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shadow of the Beast receives mixed opinions on all formats so I'm always hesitant to recommend it. I really like the Lynx port. It's not as visually impressive as the Amiga original but I might like the general feel of it more.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Oh man, it is nice to hear this game mentioned here. A colleague from work actually single handedly developed this game, I think for 7 years or something?
That's so awesome. I bought a copy but haven't had the means to play it. Looking forward to getting the Lynx adapter next year =)

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
It has my favorite version of Rampart, which I'd also consider the best game on the system.

Also:

Battlewheels
Blue Lightning
Gauntlet: The Third Encounter
Klax
RoadBlasters
Rygar
S.T.U.N. Runner
Xenophobe

It has some killer arcade conversions, borderline miraculous for a 1989 portable.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I have a special fondness for Battlewheels, because I looked up their office number and called them up as a clueless kid.

The guy I talked to was one of the owner/developers and shot the shit with me for 10 minutes or so. He seemed excited to have a fan call them up, and he shared a couple cheat codes with me.

I'd also toss Zarlor Mercenary on the list, really fun top down shooter.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
This thread relevant to my interests, so appreciate the input.

So far I have Chip's Challenge, California Games, Gates of Zendocon and Xenophobe. Might pick up a few more based on recommendations.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
I think Atari Lynx really had some interesting games and overall was a valid console.

You have to consider, though, that some of its best games were multiplayer games that required a CommLynx.

So, I have to take out of the list games such as Xenphobe and Todd's Slime Adventure which were something GREAT (and unique, at the time... the 3 VS 1 mode in Xenophobe was incredible).

That said, focusing on single player games, some of my favourites:

- Ninja Gaiden
A nice conversion of the original arcade beat'em up. Basically I considered it the best portable scrolling fighting game along with the Lynx version of Double Dragon till the GBA version of Final Fight came out (yep, ok, along with the Game Gear's Streets of Rage games... :D)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khK5RD5CFOc

(side note: there is another Ninja Gaiden on Lynx, the conversion of the NES Ninja Gaiden III. VERY rare as far as I know...)

- Pac-Land
Lovely conversion of the first Pac-Man platform game. It also contained every thick and secret of the original, as far as I remember.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBLGgP6phT4

- Klax
Such a nice puzzle game. Requires using the Lynx in its vertical setup.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLWxCB-hxTE

- Rampart
A very WEIRD game that I loved in the arcades (and on Amiga) got a very good version on Lynx. Quite addicting.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29WA1feWIpI

- Raiden

Not many know that there's a surprising edition of this shooter on Lynx, even though I've never understood if it was ever published.

Have a look here.

(also, I see that Gates of Zendocon and Blue Lightning are already cited, so I second them and I'd like to add Zarlor's Mercenary)

Last edited:

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth

Fatal Nutritionist

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 18, 2022
Blue lightning, Electro cop, Road Blasters (shit to play but a great tehcnical achivement), Pit-Fighter, Steel Talons, Warbirds, Robotron, Xybots, Hydra, and Battlewheels are so technically ahead of everything else, even from the home consoles of the time in some ways, that with an Atari not relying on the Jaguar, with more money, and better marketing and manufacturing, it would have been a wrap. There would be wall to wall coverage since more reviewers and press would have access to games like this, showing odd how incredibly power this handheld was.

It could even trade a few blows with early GBA in some areas, the real sucessor to the Lynx in technology was the N-gage followed by the PSP.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blue lightning, Electro cop, Road Blasters (shit to play but a great tehcnical achivement), Pit-Fighter, Steel Talons, Warbirds, Robotron, Xybots, Hydra, and Battlewheels are so technically ahead of everything else, even from the home consoles of the time in some ways, that with an Atari not relying on the Jaguar, with more money, and better marketing and manufacturing, it would have been a wrap. There would be wall to wall coverage since more reviewers and press would have access to games like this, showing odd how incredibly power this handheld was.

It could even trade a few blows with early GBA in some areas, the real sucessor to the Lynx in technology was the N-gage followed by the PSP.
What's wrong with how Roadblasters plays?

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
My fondest memory of my Lynx is beating Electro Cop. I hesitate to call it a must play, it was a very weird game that felt very awkward to play. I guess I loved it for its sheer uniqueness. Never saw anything like it before or since.