meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
My marriage from almost 15 years ago was a mistake from the start. But curious to know of any musical selections you and/or your spouse-to-be personally chose to accompany your ceremony (besides the ubiquitous march by Mendelssohn)?

We got married at a very unusual place (a private castle by the sea) with only my family attending, so it was a very small-scale affair. As such, no DJ or live musicians were hired. My spouse-to-be left any musical accompaniment completely to me, so I selected recordings of some of my favorite baroque instrumental pieces.

Hardly the most original choice, but Pachelbel's Canon in D Major played perhaps the most prominent role:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4p5RsKG6C4

(Just as a bit of odd trivia: my last ex absolutely hated Canon in D Major, like with a passion. Of course, he was a composer himself, so I imagine he had his artistic biases, lol.)

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
String Quartet versions of pop songs.

While people were being seated:

View: https://youtu.be/DDlguGMzlQQ?si=9KTt4Qmc6Xor4X5C

My wife-to-be-walked down the aisle to:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilWoygrKbzA

And when we were married, we left the chapel walking down the aisle to (the original - not string - version of) Queen's, You're My Best Friend:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZpZQG2z10

I've been to multiple weddings the past few years where a lot of the music was video game or movie theme songs, and to put it kindly... that is really not to my taste, even as someone that loves games and movies and who met my wife on the Giant Bomb forums. Zelda, Final Fantasy, Jurassic Park, Beetlejuice, even Power Rangers - I thought I was pushing it with the classy versions of pop songs, honestly, but here we are.

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
our first dance will be to this:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Oct 27, 2017
We didn't have any music.
Ours was during the depths of covid, so we didn't want a big thing. Just did a small courtroom wedding and very small get together afterwards.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017

grang

Nov 13, 2017
My wife walked down the aisle to this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kdoXLqnx_c

Then after the kiss for the recessional, this:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Parents/wedding parties/us into the reception:

- YouTube

And our first dance was to this:

- YouTube

(inspired by Twin Peaks The Return)

- YouTube

Then a special one, my grandparents were celebrating their 65th anniversary a couple months after our wedding, so we invited them up and joined them in a dance to what was their first dance:

- YouTube

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea. We had a friend play piano for our wedding, and she just picked all the music.

At the reception, we just played random shit that we felt like listening to.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
My wife had her (much) younger brother and his friends from the church band play live for us. One of the bridesmaids has twin 14 year old daughters and one sang a song in Romanian (wife's family and a lot of friends are Romanian) and the other recited a Romanian poem. Wife's younger brother also sang The Wedding Song for us. This was all during our ceremony which was like an hour long.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
All of Me by John Legend was our first dance
And I Love Her by The Beatles was what my wife came down the aisle to
We exited to Tank from Cowboy Bebop
Reception Entry song was Enter Sandman since we were married the day before Halloween and decided to have a Halloween themed reception.
My wife and her dad danced to Butterfly Kisses
My mom and I danced to Unforgettable by Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole

We had a bunch of songs from horror films and other Halloween themed music plus "everyone dance" songs like Footloose, Opposites Attract from Paula Abdul, lots of 90s R&B, Prince, and Time Warp.

Our exit song was the Silent Hill 2 main theme.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
My partners Bridal March was a metal version.

The song we danced to was "You and Me" by Alice Cooper.

When we served food it was MasakoX as Goku singing "Food is Yummy" a parody of Dragon Soul

The bouquet throwing song was Duel of Fates from Star Wars.

So basically the weirdest geekiest thing we could come up with.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Got married in 2006.

Went with Canon in D Major for the processional, but after the ceremony, we walked down the aisle together to the Peanuts theme song.

Our first dance was Bright Eyes' First Day of My Life. My wife and I and the wedding party entered the reception to United State of Electronica's Emerald City. We're from Seattle but got married in my wife's hometown of Omaha, NE so it was a fun nod to our home together.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Our first dance was Flight of the Conchord's "The Most Beautiful Girl in the...Room"

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Half our music list was based around stuff referenced in Jojo. The DJ went wild that we asked for the closer to be Rainbow in the Dark.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Got married to "True Love Will Find You In The End" by Daniel Johnston, first dance was "Threw It On The Ground" by The Lonely Island.

Needless to say, I am now divorced 😂

Oct 28, 2017
We had a small ceremony so we didn't have music BUT when we were considering Train in Vain by the Clash.

THEN we read what it was about (relationship ending) and decided against it.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
My wife picked all that out. I love my wife but I just wanted that day/night to be over. I'm not a people-person and I don't dance. My wedding reception is almost certainly the last time I did. That was 23 years ago now...

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
Well, I'm old enough to have 2 weddings under my belt (turns out, coming out of the closet will do that to you...woops!). Both ceremonies were small but for my first one (straight) we went with:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fEUUnXDnbk
We are both huge fans of Sigur Ros and it just works so well in a wedding ceremony.

For the second and (hopefully last!) we went with:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOdbUhAwGcA

My husband and I are both formerly married to women and we have an age gap so there was something about Call Me By Your Name that really resonated with us. Plus, the song is absolutely beautiful on its own so it was kind of a no brainer pick.

Neither of the weddings were very traditional in any sense but music is just so important to me that it was the one thing that I needed out of a ceremony.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
while people were filing in and sitting, it was a medley of fantasy background music (LOTR, Skyrim, etc...)

bridal walk was Come Thou Fount; we were both raised Christians in the south, and even though we weren't Christians anymore, we both really like hymns and this was our favorite

reception music was just fun stuff on Spotify, carefully selected to get more explicit as the playlist went on (which worked perfectly to get the older folks to drift off so our young people could cut loose lol)

Rikalaus

Oct 30, 2017
My Wife walked down the aisle to this

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZTb8WxEW78

Think before the ceremony we had Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight Tonight, Weezer - Island In the Sun and another song i can't remember.

Then on the evening i did a soundtrack that was full of mostly 80's Rock / Metal plus some pop stuff from that era.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
My wife walked down the aisle to Tuolumne by Eddie Vedder which was just beautiful, I'll never forget that moment.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRTDrriPNVU

And our first dance was Chris Cornell's cover of Thank You by Led Zeppelin. For the evening party we just left the DJ to it... so god knows what he played :D The regular all-encompassng crowd pleasers I imagine.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
Our wedding was this september.

We had God Only Knows by Beach Boys during the actual ceremony
During dinner we had various cool tunes playing quietly in the background
First dance was to Int'l Players Anthem by UGK and Outkast

During the party I had the DJ do a medley of Three Six Mafia tracks and a bunch of other southern hip hop classics, other than that he played basically a whole lot of good music.
We ended the party with Don't Stop Believing as a nod to the Sopranos finale haha

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
  • Concerning Hobbits and other songs from the LotR soundtrack was used for idle music while guests were getting seated and waiting. I think I may have walked out to this; I'll have to ask because I can't remember.
  • Summer Always Comes Again by Voyager for my wife's bridal march. We both separately thought this was a good one. It's a short enough song that we were able to get through it and have her walk down as it was picking up.
  • Lord of the Rings by Blind Guardian was our first dance.
  • Time Warp from Rocky Horror since my wife and her sister love RHPS.
  • Turbo Lover by Judas Priest since it's been kind of a running joke amongst our friend group in weddings.
  • Mindtraveller (acoustic) by Falconer was our last dance of the night.
The rest of the music we let our DJ choose since we just wanted the typical fun wedding stuff during the reception. We had a LotR theme going on since we were planning our honeymoon in New Zealand.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
We had friends on the guitar, piano, and vocals to do all of our wedding music. I'm very lucky to have incredibly musically-talented friends.

Wife walked down the aisle to an instrumental of Falling Slowly from Once.

- YouTube

At the end of the ceremony, wife and I walked back down the aisle to At The Beginning from Anastasia.

- YouTube

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
We didn't do much in the way of music. Traditional wedding march at the beginning, and I think someone just played a cd of classical music during the reception. (My wife and I aren't really big fans of dancing, so we didn't have dancing at our reception.)
We talked before the wedding about getting classical or piano renditions of various video game tracks to play during the reception. The goal was to make it really subtle so that you'd probably only notice if you were already in on the joke or were someone who would recognize the music. I'd gathered some tracks from OC Remix and a few other places but we got busy and never actually got around to doing it.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Some Boston, some Arcade Fire, some Florence and the Machine, some Guns n' Roses and then whatever the DJ played, lol.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Very small wedding ceremony. Just my wife, her parents and mine at my old church. Just Canon in D Major. We said our vows then went to a nice restaurant to eat after.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
I had my wedding DJs son play the Throne Room from Star Wars on Trumpet while my wife and I entered our reception. He did a terrible job. But I didn't even care.

We considered having our wedding dance be "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica. But went with "At Last" by Etta James instead.

For the wedding ceremony itself, my father in law played guitar and sang while my wife walked down the long path. I don't remember the name of the song though.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Got married last year. I had my stepbrother play acoustic guitar while people were getting seated. A variety of covers but it was memorable for us.

We walked out from the ceremony to Jackie Wilson's 'Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher'

First Dance was a modified version of Golden by My Morning Jacket (my favorite band) - closing lyrics are
"We'll be right here forever
Go through this thing together
And on heaven's golden shore
We'll lay our heads"

Which we liked. Just cut some deader parts so the dance wasn't as long.

Closing dance song with the full crowd (we did a private last dance) was Robyn's Dancing on my Own.

Oh baby by LCD Soundsystem.

This is cool. Makes me think of the music video.

Last edited:

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Banned
Jan 5, 2020
Walked in to Book of Love by Peter Gabriel and our first dance song was Come to me by Goo Goo Dolls.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Just got married on Saturday!

My fiance and I chose a lot of Zelda, as we love all those games. My groomsmen walked down the aisle to the Ocarina of Time credits theme, the bridesmaids to Zelda's Lullaby, and my fiance to the Fairy Fountain theme (composed by my best man!).

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I just got married in January and we basically picked all the music for the ceremony and reception. Before it started, we used piano covers with no vocals of songs we like, like Ocean Avenue by Yellowcard. My wife walked down the aisle to a piano cover of Laughter Lines by Bastille, the song as we walked out after the ceremony was Mulberry Street by Twenty One Pilots, we walked into the reception to You Make My Dreams by Hall & Oates, and our first dance was Flaws by Bastille. One of the funniest ones was using Le Festin from the Ratatouille soundtrack for when we cut the cake. Those who recognized it thought it was funny and those who didn't were just like "aww it's a cute romantic French song"

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I don't even remember if I had music for my wedding, probably some Indian wedding music

Anyways for our wedding video I know one of my favorite songs was featured , ironically never asked me which music to put so it was nice

- YouTube