Status
Not open for further replies.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — Evidence has surfaced showing that scenes from the controversial Disney film "Mulan" were shot near at least 10 internment camps and five prisons in China's Xinjiang Autonomous Region, prompting Uyghur activists to call for a worldwide ban on "Disney's propaganda movie."

On Monday (Sept. 7) Hong Kong-born British novelist Jeannette Ng (吳志麗) posted a screenshot of the film's closing credits in which Disney thanks a number of Chinese Communist Party (CCP) entities in Xinjiang, where part of the movie was filmed. Among these were two publicity departments in the city of Turpan and one in Shanshan County, indicating that filming took place in both areas.

The makers of the film even saw fit to thank the Turpan Municipal Bureau of Public Security, which the U.S. Commerce Department last October placed on its Entity List for engaging in "human rights violations and abuses in the implementation of China's campaign of repression, mass arbitrary detention, and high-technology surveillance against Uighurs, Kazakhs, and other members of Muslim minority groups in the XUAR."

According to Vogue, the Xinjiang segments of the film were shot in the "singing dunes of the Mingsha Shan Desert" and a "clay-and-earth Mazar village in the Tuyuk Valley." Not to be confused with the "Singing Sand Dunes of Dunhuang in neighboring Gansu Province, desert scenes in the Shanshan Desert appear to have been shot in the region's Shanshan County.

"It's one thing to film in China. But maybe we shouldn't film near concentration camps, you think?"

"I have dollar signs in my eyes and it's not like anyone will find out!

Ignore genocide if old.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
There were catering services for the camp goers right?

Trash human behavior on display.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is the company that had the US military marching with their red carpet premiere last year. They still actively work with them too. Disney doesn't give a fuck about human rights abuses.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New news, new thread. There are a billion threads about news from Woodward's book that were already in the other thread yesterday, and they are open. This is new so it shouldn't get stuck inside the other thread.

Oct 26, 2017
I find it fascinating that China has basically banned mention of this film because the news brings up this connection. So Disney made a movie to please Chinese audiences, spent a lot of money in China to shoot, and now China won't give them any money because they censor everything even remotely controversial.

I wasn't going to bother anyway since it seems to have erased everything I liked about the original, but this shitshow seems entirely earned.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
At the beginning I thought Mulan would be one of the easier ones to remake in live-action, but somehow they unnecessarily made the worst decisions possible all over the place.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I find it fascinating that China has basically banned mention of this film because the news brings up this connection. So Disney made a movie to please Chinese audiences, spent a lot of money in China to shoot, and now China won't give them any money because they censor everything even remotely controversial.

I wasn't going to bother anyway since it seems to have erased everything I liked about the original, but this shitshow seems entirely earned.

Didn't know about that, very much earned

Hopefully entertainment companies realize that trying to appease CCP censorship guidelines is a gamble and ultimately not worth it

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of people I know pirated the movie, so at least that was a good thing about Disney Plus not being available in our country, I guess.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It's crazy that a company that is so guarded with the family friendly image has managed to commit one of the worst offences in film production I have ever seen.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
At the beginning I thought Mulan would be one of the easier ones to remake in live-action, but somehow they unnecessarily made the worst decisions possible all over the place.
If they weren't so crazy about making unnecessary remakes in the first place, we wouldn't even be here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Had no interest in watching this film in the first place. This gives me even more reasons to avoid.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
i don't know what you guys plan to do, but if I had spent money to watch this, I would be demanding a refund on principle. even if it isn't honored, at least my voice will have been heard. this is unacceptable in every possible way.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn this is fucking infuriating and terrible. What did they do, shop the internment camps out of the movie? Motherfuckers.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
A good reminder that capitalism, ultimately, does not give a fuck about your human rights.

honestly, yes?

think about the amount of damage the united states state department and military has done to the lives of muslims and those living in muslim majority countries aroud the world.
I was going to say the obvious difference is that America was not attempting to, by design, explicitly convert or ethnically cleanse the countries we targeted, and I think that is true, at least post WWII, but there are factions like Blackwater that did see their purpose in Iraq and Afghanistan through the lens of a holy war(of course like Disney, nothing like money to abandon whatever principles you claimed to have, as Blackwater has now done as mercenaries for dictatorial Muslim countries), so it's not entirely unfounded. Still, I think it being an explicit policy of convert and/or cleanse or enslave, and today, is a notable difference.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A good reminder that capitalism, ultimately, does not give a fuck about your human rights.

I was going to say the obvious difference is that America was not attempting to, by design, explicitly convert or ethnically cleanse the countries we targeted, and I think that is true, at least post WWII, but there are factions like Blackwater that did see their purpose in Iraq and Afghanistan through the lens of a holy war(of course like Disney, nothing like money to abandon whatever principles you claimed to have, as Blackwater has now done as mercenaries for dictatorial Muslim countries), so it's not entirely unfounded. Still, I think it being an explicit policy of convert and/or cleanse or enslave, and today, is a notable difference.

It seems very weird to defend the pentagon and the military industrial complex in response to somebody mentioning Disney partners with authoritarians all the time. Your explanation is one big long white washing of the past 50-60 years. And if you wanna talk about lives lost, harmed, and impacted I promise you America has China beat on this one. There's no need to do backflips to take America out the convo (or rather, take offense that America was even compared in the first place) when Disney was the one being dunked on in the first place.

Nov 21, 2017
I mean this is the company that had the US military marching with their red carpet premiere last year. They still actively work with them too. Disney doesn't give a fuck about human rights abuses.

Yea that is a stupid comparison. Captain Marvel worked in the U.S Airforce.
Great job on derailing the thread. Now everyone is reacting to your post then the concentration camps in China.

On topic:
Also this looks so bad for Disney. I wouldn't surprise if more vile things like use concentration work on the film as extras.

madame x

May 15, 2020

We are aiding Israel which is doing just that, though. Along with Saudi Arabia which is doing that yemen .
Some might say it's what about ism but we still have to look at who is criticizing China for these decisions and why. Take a critical lens to the argument and see who is benefiting.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great job on derailing the thread. Now everyone is reacting to your post then the concentration camps in China.

On topic:
Also this looks so bad for Disney. I wouldn't surprise if more vile things like use concentration work on the film as extras.

Sami has more of a right to bring up the comparison than most of us in this thread do, I'd wager. If you're not Muslim yourself, don't whitesplain it, thanks.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
We are aiding Israel which is doing just that, though. Along with Saudi Arabia which is doing that yemen .
Some might say it's what about ism but we still have to look at who is criticizing China for these decisions and why. Take a critical lens to the argument and see who is benefiting.
Those aren't current and ongoing explicit policies carried out specifically by the US though, because as much as I abhor US/Israeli policy, there isn't a major country in the world without problematic relationships, so I would still be willing to draw a differentiating line. I would also add that what makes the China case different as well is both the government's total suppression, which is required to extend to America, and the willing complicity Disney, an American company, is acting in accordance...Of course, Disney cozying up to authoritarianism is sort of on-brand. Marvel and other properties explicitly avoiding subjects that would catch the ire of Chinese sensors was only the first volley, as China grows I imagine this sort of shit will only grow with it.

It seems very weird to defend the pentagon and the military industrial complex in response to somebody mentioning Disney partners with authoritarians all the time. Your explanation is one big long white washing of the past 50-60 years. And if you wanna talk about lives lost, harmed, and impacted I promise you America has China beat on this one. There's no need to do backflips to take America out the convo (or rather, take offense that America was even compared in the first place) when Disney was the one being dunked on in the first place.
Lets not confuse acknowledging some distinctions between two things with defending American military exploitation and terrorism, that's getting into lazy intellectualism territory. It can both be true that America has done some abhorrent things and Hollywood often glamorizes, casually ignores, or even whitewashes those things, and that the Mulan/Disney/China/Uyghur dynamic that marries extreme near genocidal exploitation of their citizenry with extreme suppression in and outside their borders is condemnable and notable in some unique ways.

Last edited:

madame x

May 15, 2020
Those aren't current and ongoing explicit policies carried out specifically by the US though, because as much as I abhor US/Israeli policy, there isn't a major country in the world without problematic relationships, so I would still be willing to draw a differentiating line. I would also add that what makes the China case different as well is both the government's total suppression, which is required to extend to America, and the willing complicity Disney, an American company, is acting in accordance...Of course, Disney cozying up to authoritarianism is sort of on-brand.

Lets not confuse acknowledging some distinctions between two things with defending American military exploitation and terrorism, that's getting into lazy intellectualism territory.
I'm gonna have to strong disagree and say that America explicitly supports the genocide of Palestinians. Not just a byproduct of their relationship with another country, but an explicit vision for what they want the world to look like.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those aren't current and ongoing explicit policies carried out specifically by the US though, because as much as I abhor US/Israeli policy, there isn't a major country in the world without problematic relationships, so I would still be willing to draw a differentiating line. I would also add that what makes the China case different as well is both the government's total suppression, which is required to extend to America, and the willing complicity Disney, an American company, is acting in accordance...Of course, Disney cozying up to authoritarianism is sort of on-brand.

Lets not confuse acknowledging some distinctions between two things with defending American military exploitation and terrorism, that's getting into lazy intellectualism territory.

to distinct what? That Disney is more than willing to work with murderous authoritative governments? The only premise of making a distinction is if you think one is more uniquely bad than the other. It's not controversial unless you think China is being intentionally nazi and America is just being unintentionally nazi and you think that matters in the context of the original post

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I'm gonna have to strong disagree and say that America explicitly supports the genocide of Palestinians. Not just a byproduct of their relationship with another country, but an explicit vision for what they want the world to look like.

Yeah if that were the case it would be done already.

As bad as I think America is, and has been, and as bad as it has gotten under Trump, the reason Netanyahu came to America to speak to the House was that the past administration was not condoning things like egregious settlement building. We have an incredibly problematic relationship but the idea that America is acting unified in coordinating policies of ethnic cleansing and genocide, then suppressing us Americans and the world that does business with us, the equivalent you would need to prove to make this claim of indistinguishable behavior between America and China stick, is simply not true.

This is the sort of lazy lefty intellectualism I have honestly grown tired of.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

On topic:
Imagine telling a Muslim who lived (lives?) in the Middle East that they're making a silly comparison for bringing up that the US has killed a shitton of Muslims too. All Sami was saying that this isn't surprising because Disney clearly doesn't give a shit about Muslim lives as evidenced by their past behavior. Nobody forced Disney to work with the Air Force.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Unsurprising attempts at thread derail. Those always seem to happen in threads about the CCP being murderous bastards.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Unsurprising attempts at thread derail. Those always seem to happen in threads about the CCP being murderous bastards.
The CCP are murderous bastards. Disney has partnered with murderous bastards in the past ergo this is not surprising that they did it again. Showing a history of similar behavior is not a thread derail.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

how is it a thread derail?

"I can't believe Disney would work with murderous authoritarian governments to make their stupid movies"
"Yeah it's crazy how they partner with the Department of Defense all the time"
"Wait a minute that's not the same"

It's not in defense of Disney, if anything it's more damning. Whats the issue?

madame x

May 15, 2020
Yeah if that were the case it would be done already.

As bad as I think America is, and has been, and as bad as it has gotten under Trump, the reason Netanyahu came to America to speak to the House was that the past administration was not condoning things like egregious settlement building. We have an incredibly problematic relationship but the idea that America is acting unified in coordinating policies of ethnic cleansing and genocide, then suppressing us Americans and the world that does business with us, the equivalent you would need to prove to make this claim of indistinguishable behavior between America and China stick, is simply not true.

This is the sort of lazy lefty intellectualism I have honestly grown tired of.
America uses the "bumbling" excuse for its war crimes all the time, and it's convinced people that somehow all these actions that explicitly benefit western capital and white supremacy are just ... accidents? Coincidences?

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
to distinct what? That Disney is more than willing to work with murderous authoritative governments? The only premise of making a distinction is if you think one is more uniquely bad than the other. It's not controversial unless you think China is being intentionally nazi and America is just being unintentionally nazi and you think that matters in the context of the original post
America: Mildly democratic, free speech to the point of detriment, racist, policies of exploitation and oppression with a willingness to use state violence, militarily indiscriminate in advancing their state goals, and backs some questionable allies.

China: Explicit authoritarian, outright genocidal of it's own people, state-controlled speech that extends to external partners, policies of exploitation and oppression with a willingness to use state violence, militarily indiscriminate in advancing their state goals, and backs some questionable allies.

Both bad, both condemnable, often for many of the same things, but not both the same....It's not that hard to understand nuances and distinctions.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Honestly there is a silver lining that Mulan filmed close to the concentration camps, it's giving the ongoing situation more eyes to the issue. Hopefully people continue to press on lawmakers/corporations from moving away from the CCP/region.

Status
Not open for further replies.