Primus

Oct 25, 2017
learn.microsoft.com

Windows Subsystem for Android™️

Windows Subsystem for Android™️ enables your Windows 11 device to run Android applications that are available in the Amazon Appstore. Learn more about set up, device requirements, installing and uninstalling, input compatibility, testing and debugging, and using the Amazon Appstore.

Microsoft is ending support for the Windows Subsystem for Android™️ (WSA). As a result, the Amazon Appstore on Windows and all applications and games dependent on WSA will no longer be supported beginning March 5, 2025. Until then, technical support will remain available to customers.
Customers that have installed the Amazon Appstore or Android apps prior to March 5, 2024, will continue to have access to those apps through the deprecation date of March 5, 2025.

This is a huge bummer, it's been out for barely a couple of years and MS is already pulling the plug.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be real, I only ever used BlueStacks even after they launched this feature.

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
learn.microsoft.com

Windows Subsystem for Android™️

Windows Subsystem for Android™️ enables your Windows 11 device to run Android applications that are available in the Amazon Appstore. Learn more about set up, device requirements, installing and uninstalling, input compatibility, testing and debugging, and using the Amazon Appstore.

Microsoft is ending support for the Windows Subsystem for Android™️ (WSA). As a result, the Amazon Appstore on Windows and all applications and games dependent on WSA will no longer be supported beginning March 5, 2025. Until then, technical support will remain available to customers.
Customers that have installed the Amazon Appstore or Android apps prior to March 5, 2024, will continue to have access to those apps through the deprecation date of March 5, 2025. Please reach out to our support team for further questions at support.microsoft.com. We are grateful for the support of our developer community and remain committed to listening to feedback as we evolve experiences.

That sucks. I guess Bluestacks' still a thing...

As for the Amazon side, I just received an email from Amazon about this. Here's a copy-paste:

Dear Customer,

We are writing to inform you about changes to the availability of Amazon Appstore on Windows 11.

Starting March 6, 2024, Amazon Appstore will no longer be available for download from the Microsoft Store on Windows 11 devices. After March 5, 2025, Amazon Appstore on Windows 11 and any apps downloaded from it will not be supported. For additional details and insights into this transition, please read our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section: www.amazon.ca/appstoreonwindowsFAQ

Despite this change, we want to assure you that Amazon Appstore will continue to be available and supported on Fire TV, Fire Tablet and Android devices. We appreciate your understanding and continued support as we work to enhance and evolve the Amazon Appstore experience on those devices.

If you have further questions, please contact Amazon Customer Service.

Amazon Appstore

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

...and, as it concerns the appstore, nothing of value was lost.

It was a great idea. However, in Microsoft fashion and correct me if I'm wrong, there was a lot of hurdle to overcome to even make the Appstore work:

1. You had to have Hyper-V enabled (which is not by default) and your CPU needs to support it (although, if you follow Win11 min specs and don't bypass them, you shouldn't have that issue)
2. You had to install Windows Subsystem for Android (also not installed by default) from MS Appstore
3. You had to download the Amazon Appstore off of MS Store (step 1 and 2 are mandatory)
?. Wonder why it's not working.

But then, the Amazon appstore isn't Google Play. So, the the app selection is very limited and, because of that, no dev had any incensitive to distribute on that app store.

Because of all the prerequisites, it was a power user only feature. It's too bad because, if these feature been installed by default, and the appstore advertised correctly, it could've been a bigger hit. Once you had it working, it worked pretty well afaik.

WSA was also a B to make it working though... The thing was not really straightforward.

But, again, it's not the Google Play Store... so nobody gave a crap like most (read: all) alt appstores.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't this launch a year ago? What a disaster things with windows have been lately. I can't wait to be completely free of it. They are even more aggressive than Apple at killing services and hardware people are using it seems at this point.

cbajd5

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, I only really got more apps setup in it recently but with the modified version that gave you a Google Play and Magisk installation with it it's been much nicer for me than BlueStacks for the apps that work with it. (The only direct app I have a comparison for is Nier Reincarnation as that always ran slowly in BlueStacks for me but runs pretty much perfectly with WSA.)

OP
OP
Primus

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, I only really got more apps setup in it recently but with the modified version that gave you a Google Play and Magisk installation with it it's been much nicer for me than BlueStacks for the apps that work with it. (The only direct app I have a comparison for is Nier Reincarnation as that always ran slowly in BlueStacks for me but runs pretty much perfectly with WSA.)

That's what I've been doing as well, I have an older machine and Bluestacks is heavy and chonky, whereas WSA just nicely runs and goes away afterwards.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Either their agreement with Amazon changed, or they didn't see enough of an uptake to maintain the product...

And running Android apps natively on Windows is the niche-est of niches.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When it worked using sideloaded apks, it was a very cool feature.

But the implementation as done by Microsoft was incredibly half-assed and basically only for power users, which severely limited it's use. You COULD get the Google Play store on there, but few were willing to jump through even more hoops to do that.

NinjaLooter

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2023
Maybe release it to regions that actually has a huge Android marketshare to determine if it's really going to be worth it.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
The implementation of this entire thing was an entire disaster, and I'm honestly not suprised they're sunsetting it.
Might as well just run a VM in hyperV to do this shit, as you basically need that type of computer experience to get it up and running in the first place.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be honest, I tried the whole Android in Windows thing once and it was confusing and glitchy. Didn't use it for long.

cbajd5

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I've been doing as well, I have an older machine and Bluestacks is heavy and chonky, whereas WSA just nicely runs and goes away afterwards.
Even with my newish laptop I setup last month I installed BlueStacks for one game that didn't work at all in WSA (World Flipper) and while it runs alright most of the time it still has times where it'll just crash for no obvious reason or freeze up. There's also the startup ads and occasional launch ad BlueStacks has that are annoying but understandable for keeping it free, but WSA not having those was nice too.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
It was the reason I updated to W11 immediately because I figured welp if I'm gonna update for it at some point I might as well get used to it.

Ended up just being a big mess, too much of a headache to bother with and simply couldn't do the things I wanted from it.

I've cast my phone to my PC through Windows Phone Link more than I've bothered with this thing.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies. No idea why this was closed. Might have been a butt-lock by someone. Carry on!

🚪🚶🏿‍♀️

Oct 25, 2017
wow...one of the only positives windows 11 had over 10. I used it a good bit too.

Back to bluestacks and its billion ads...

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I remember trying this and it broke VRR on my monitor, and I couldn't fix it. Not like there was much for me to do with it given Microsoft specifically updated it at some point to stop people from loading their own APKs.

Still surprised they're actually bothering to remove it so soon. It's still the typical Microsoft schtick, where they release a potentially useful Windows thing and arbitrarily kneecap it for no reason, but they usually just let those things fester and become less and less usable for several years as updates don't take it into account.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
That sucks. I've not upgraded to Windows 11 (I'm on a 4790k still, and I don't want to do the workarounds) but it was one of the things I was actually looking forward to trying when I finally did get my hands on Windows 11.

Daccus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointing. I used it to sideload some apps that didn't have a desktop Windows or web app. Bluestacks has always felt too bloated for me.

At least it'll stick around for another year.

Oct 29, 2017
I set this up right around when it came out and never used it. I remember it being an oddly draconian setup process, none of which was explained anywhere in the OS, and I had to rely on some random website to understand what I was doing.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
This had failure written all over it considering the barrier to entry and the building being held together by an Amazon Basic ductape.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
I was pretty excited about this feature when it was announced.

The reality of it was a major letdown.

First of all, it took years for it to arrive in my country. The Amazon app store has zero apps I want. Trying to sideload apps doesn't always work because some of the few apps I do want on my PC have dependancies on Google Play services. There was some unofficial script you could run in Windows Terminal that supposed to give you Google Play services and store but I saw comments it installed some dubious software at the same time so didn't want to risk it.

The tech was there but is unfortunate Google didn't want to play ball with Microsoft on this one.

Google has their own Android emulator on Windows in beta now too, unfortunately so far it only works on games (and as it is in beta there is a limited selection of titles).

Lebon30

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Does this mean Windows 11 won't have native Android support anymore?

Pretty much, yeah.

Gotta be honest, I tried the whole Android in Windows thing once and it was confusing and glitchy. Didn't use it for long.

I also had issues getting an apk to work...

This had failure written all over it considering the barrier to entry and the building being held together by an Amazon Basic ductape.
The reason why it fail. Everything was disabled by default. You just couldn't download an APK and double-click on it like a .exe or .msi.

Transistor

sudo rm -rf /
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Add it to the list

killedbymicrosoft.info

Killed by Microsoft

Killed by Microsoft is the open source list of dead Microsoft products, services, and devices. It serves as a tribute and memorial of beloved services and products killed by Microsoft.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Never worked right for me. I always just used the Phone App to remote into my tablet as it was more consistent but had some annoying processes that I wish they would smoothen out.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was excited for this until I found it it just composed of the Amazon App Store with the lowest budget apps possible.

If they added Google Play Store and made it more user friendly, then I could see it doing pretty good actually. That way they could've had a lot of exclusive Android apps on Windows with ease.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, I still use this pretty much daily for the PS app for party chat with PS5 owners. What an enormous pain.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
I did the whole setup but tbh I never really ever needed to use any android apps on pc so I just never used it

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
sucks, because this could be a killer feature if they implemented it well. Thankfully we have many excellent Android emulators that function very well to fill the gap. I don't think the subsystem managed to convert many of those users anyway, since it lacked many features those emulators have.

sjnowak

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, I still use this pretty much daily for the PS app for party chat with PS5 owners. What an enormous pain.

Same here, my current contingency plan until PS5 gets a more streamlined Discord integration like the Xbox does is to use the third party remote play apps. (I imagine more people that are exclusively console would be more willing to join a voice channel on Discord if this was true.)

Chiaki4deck in particular lets you use the microphone and you can adjust more settings than the standard remote play app. Obviously this only works for people that can remote in.

There's also some applications that let you use your PC as a Bluetooth receiver, which in theory could let you join the party on your phone and use your PC headphones.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
That's a shame. Even though the implementation was sloppy and the Amazon App Store didn't have all the apps, I still found it useful from time to time.

BlueStacks had a lot of shovelware (which may still be the case).

Last edited:

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I never used this, but I'll miss it.

Phone Link does the job for me, but YMMV. It streams Android apps from your phone to your PC, if that helps!