• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
It'll have a fairly big dropoff next year, with SFV pulling ahead slightly. Street Fighter is constant as the Northern Star.

Congrats to it for blowing the roof off this year, though.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
DBFZ is gonna be so much fun to watch. Hell, even the pools will be fun to watch.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hmm wonder if we'll get a promotional smash switch side tourney/character reveal

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Just like with SFV in 2016, I suspect a good chunk of those DBFZ players will not show up for the tournament. Probably another 30% of no-shows.

The tweet for those who can't see it.

Evo 2018 May Leaderboard
#1 DBFZ (Bigger Lead)
#2 SFV:AE
#3 TEKKEN 7
#4 Melee
#5 SmashBrosWiiU
#6 BBTAG
#7 REV2
#8 Injustice 2
#Evo2018

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Guilty Gear is over Injustice. All is right in this world :)

Melee being so high is always surprising, even when I follow the game so closely. Melee's 6th EVO!

EDeadman94

User Requested Ban
Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: 'Lazy dev' rhetoric.
Capcom deserves to lose the throne for being lazy

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DBFZ should close out EVO. SF5 had its time in the sun. Anime is taking over!

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully DBFZ closes out EVO. SF goes on way too late for me. SFV finals followed by game announcements then I can go to sleep.

atmuh

Oct 25, 2017
Putting SFV on last when DBFZ is way more popular is akin to Vince McMahon insisting on Roman Reigns main eventing Wrestlemania instead of Braun Strowman.
number of entrants does not directly equate to viewer numbers, at the last few majors the numbers have been very similar (with sf5 having a slight edge i believe)

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
Anyone who thought DBFZ wouldn't take the lead this year were fooling themselves, next year it'll have much much less though. Most of these entrants are new people jumping into the new hot stuff.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
SFV should still end EVO. It has a cup/competitive circuit following and a scene supported by the community. Namco hasn't really been doing anything to support the DBFZ scene from what I've seen.

EDIT: Meant supported by the publisher, but the community also supports it.

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
SF5 will almost certainly finish it because of TV, CPT, etc etc. The Sunday order is almost certainly gonna end up being Anime > Smash > Tekken> DBZF >SF5 though, that's clear now.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
May Update

Should DBZF close EVO?

x5JZ7yI.gif

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I can't say I'm shocked at all from the standings of entry levels. Mind you that I'm going to be very interested to see if DBFZ will have just as many people for next year (since let's be honest, it will likely come back next year) or if after the initial year, the hype for the game dies off and SFV retakes the top position again. Seeing Tekken in third is a nice change of pace, everything after it fits in just as it would.

Speaking of next year, there's a good chance that Soul Calibur 6 will be out this year and maybe apart of the EVO line up once again. I would if it would replace Injustice 2 or something else... Not to mention that if Smash for Switch will be out, that will likely replace Smash for Wii U. Any other fighting games of note? Alot of people thing that MK11's is right around the corner too... Maybe one of ASW's games might get the boot, but either way, I'm excited to see the final numbers.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
SFV should still end EVO. It has a cup/competitive circuit following and a scene supported by the community. Namco hasn't really been doing anything to support the DBFZ scene from what I've seen.

EDIT: Meant supported by the publisher, but the community also supports it.
Meh. If a game gets the most entrants, I say let it have the last spot. Who cares if it has a world cup? Should KI have ever gotten the last spot because of its world cup?

SFV will have it's time to shine at the CPT. Let DBFZ have this one.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can accuse Capcom of several things, but I'm not sure how does lazy apply.
can i accuse them of being shit with how they treated marvel vs capcom? never fails to surprise me what gets warnings on this board. anyway dbz better be the main game if it ends up having more entrants.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City