signal

Oct 28, 2017
Why did movies do this? It never looked good and looks stupid still. I don't know if this still happens but when I think of films that have them, they are a bit older (e.g. Gladiator, Fellowship of the Ring).

Is it in-universe lore meant to represent that there is so much action going on, the FPS of reality itself is lowering??

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's just an interesting visual way of selling the gravity of a situation / varying the pace of the sequence.
I'm not keen. It's worse when the sequence wasn't shot at high speed to slow mo looks awful.

They often seem to be cuts where the director wanted that part to be a bit longer but didn't have a regular shot long enough.
No one is accidently ending up with a sequence in slow-mo.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Always felt like bullet time in the matrix was done so well, it was a more affordable way to mimic that (and done poorly).

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I'm not keen. It's worse when the sequence wasn't shot at high speed to slow mo looks awful.

They often seem to be cuts where the director wanted that part to be a bit longer but didn't have a regular shot long enough.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It's just an interesting visual way of selling the gravity of a situation / varying the pace of the sequence.
Selling the gravity of the situation is one thing, but in my mind this happens when someone suddenly dies and you get a slow motion zoom in on faces to see the reaction or something. Warriors charging and sword swinging doesn't seem to merit any slow motion, at least imo.

Oct 27, 2017
Selling the gravity of the situation is one thing, but in my mind this happens when someone suddenly dies and you get a slow motion zoom in on faces to see the reaction or something. Warriors charging and sword swinging doesn't seem to merit any slow motion, at least imo.
It's just kind of a way to make sure the audience sees a moment they think is cool; age of ultron has a slow mo scene at the beginning with all the avengers in frame that looked like something you would see in a comic book.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
You need to present specific examples and point out what doesn't work, otherwise this is just a "I don't like thing" topic

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Mainly it just looks cool. My favorite is from Night at the Museum 2 doing a parody of this:

Or possibly in the immortals where the Dead bodies go slow motion to show how fast they are all moving

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
One of the better examples I can think of semi-recently is from The Hobbit of all things:

Can't be bothered scrubbing through all the fight scenes (so I just went with the first one that came up, though from memory almost every encounter in the movie does it in different ways), but Hero (2002) is shot by the god-tier Christopher Doyle and features his particularly gorgeous use of slow-mo to mess with the tempo and transition between phases of choreography:

The Albatross

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to stop watching the 2nd lord of the rings movie because it was just dudes slow motion screaming for like 2 hours in battle sequences. I know some people like that, but I was watching it with my dad after he was on the mend after hip surgery and both of us were like "..... this is pretty boring..."

Adding this to cover my ass: I just don't like LOTR movies, I don't think they're bad or anything, they're probably amazing, I just don't like LOTR 2 & 3, and having not put a lot of thought into them in 20+ years, I dismiss them flippantly as a joke. I'm sure they're pretty good if I sat down and watched them again, but as a freedom loving american I'd rather be stubborn and wrong than open minded and right.

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the FPS of reality itself is lowering??

you mean increased

I had to stop watching the 2nd lord of the rings movie because it was just dudes slow motion screaming for like 2 hours in battle sequences. I know some people like that, but I was watching it with my dad after he was on the mend after hip surgery and both of us were like "..... this is pretty boring..."

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it worked well for this scene in 300.

The side on view and the almost still shots of action were like the Greek fresco's, carvings and pottery art of the era.
blackfigure.jpg

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

That's kind of a war movie cliché, where it's used to disorient and sell the futility of battle by slowing it down while turning up the soundtrack. Not knocking it - I love the effect, but yeah. My favourite parody of it is this scene from Edgar Wright's Spaced:

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
I remember being amazed by the action scenes in V for Vendetta when it first came around. Saw it last year and the shooting scenes feel out of place. In 300 they slow motion still worked.

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
It's an aesthetic choice often used to portray tension. There's nothing wrong with it when done well.

And i'd recommend OP to never watch any anime then. As most anime fights feature metric tons of slowmo or slowmo equivalent, often with 10min long flashbacks stuck in the middle of the slowmo sequence.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
slow this amazing gif down by 500%, jack up the contrast/exposure, soften the edges, and you have a classic lord of the rings battle sequence facial
oh. my. god.

..how old are you?

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love slow motion shots and think they're usually used well. They're a useful counter to the overly busy, quick cut, shaky cam action that was in vogue for a while.

The Albatross

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh. my. god.

..how old are you?

Old enough to know that I don't have enough time left in my life for slo-mo close ups of Bilbo baggins!

(The LOTR movies is one franchise that I just really dislike. I liked the first one enough, and fucking hated the 2nd and I think... I might have never really watched the 3rd, I can't remember. It's one of my many 'what's one of your unpopular opinions' that I bring up in those threads)

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am very partial to the battle in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. When it's silent and it's just the big cats running towards each other. I don't even know if there's slo-mo there.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Old enough to know that I don't have enough time left in my life for slo-mo close ups of Bilbo baggins!

(The LOTR movies is one franchise that I just really dislike. I liked the first one enough, and fucking hated the 2nd and I think... I might have never really watched the 3rd, I can't remember. It's one of my many 'what's one of your unpopular opinions' that I bring up in those threads)
so you really haven't watched it, cause Bilbo Baggins is in LOTR for all of like 5 minutes.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Some more fights with a generous heaping of slow-mo and a gorgeous sense of rhythm to them:

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I actually like most of the examples posted here, not sure why those two negative ones in the OP were all that came to mind lol

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clarification of the shot, enhancing a moment or simply representing that time isn't flowing through the shot at a normal speed.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Why did movies do this? It never looked good and looks stupid still. I don't know if this still happens but when I think of films that have them, they are a bit older (e.g. Gladiator, Fellowship of the Ring).

Is it in-universe lore meant to represent that there is so much action going on, the FPS of reality itself is lowering??
In the specific case of Gladiator, Ridley Scott was running out of light at the end of the last day of shooting the Germania forest battle. He had no choice other than to go to a slow, blurry shutter speed on the camera or he wouldn't have gotten those scenes at all.

But he seems to have started a trend.

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gladiator looks weird because several of its action sequences were recorded with a 45 degree shutter and he probably undercranked on top of it (and overcranked others). Ridley did this several times in his career, it's very distinctive.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Fully agree op, especially the slow mo in lord of the rings it looks horrific

all it does it make the action way less impactful and ruins the pacing. For older films the frame rate looks abhorrent.

blame the matrix

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
In the specific case of Gladiator, Ridley Scott was running out of light at the end of the last day of shooting the Germania forest battle. He had no choice other than to go to a slow, blurry shutter speed on the camera or he wouldn't have gotten those scenes at all.

But he seems to have started a trend.
Gladiator looks weird because several of its action sequences were recorded with a 45 degree shutter and he probably undercranked on top of it (and overcranked others). Ridley did this several times in his career, it's very distinctive.
Maybe it's just this then. Both my OP examples have this lower shutter speed look and aren't simply 'slow motion'