ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I did a quick search on the forum before making this thread, and the paltry number of results pertaining to the works of Team Ladybug convinced me that they need more exposure.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with them, they are an indie Japanese developer that carved a niche for themselves making compact Metroidvania games based on existing IP's such as Shin Megami Tensei, Touhou, and Record of Lodoss War before recently branching out with DRAINUS in 2022, an original shmup creation of their own. Whether you've heard of them before or not, I think that a thread is in order to commend them for their accomplishments in "pixel art" over these last few years.

I say "pixel art" in quotes because in their most recent game, DRAINUS, they are actually using a visual filter over polygonal models to create a very convincing illusion of smoothly animated pixel art. Their older games, on the other hand, all use mostly traditional 2D, keyframed pixel art with low-res 3D blended in nicely for effects work. No matter which of their games you're looking at, you're gonna come away impressed.

View: https://twitter.com/ladybug_happy6/status/1528615404503179265?s=20

We've seen plenty of good-looking pixel art in indie games over the years, but I feel that Team Ladybug's smooth, high frame-count animations and mastery of the basics of gaming visual feedback (e.g. hitstop, impact sparks, explosive death animations, etc.) really puts them in the upper echelon when it comes to this stuff. So without further ado, I'll conclude this OP with some GIFs to give people a taste of Team Ladybug's sumptuous 2D art and animation and hopefully convince some to try out one or more of their games.

Touhou Luna Nights (2018)

51a6081645170d6eb6684b9b18c81b26d69ddbf2.gif

8e0297db5ae4e4d822e3e93c1f6bbc0a60f6ef67.gif

KBwWc24.gif

2d495bd8911b93f418d85f05d64e7ddf843eb329.gif

Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (2020)

GAIcOdP.gif

gyvm2GV.gif

5c35THq.gif

d2a96ec83ae1b0cf7aae96a359987a8911a462b8.gif

8a327a4f527016ab64237177dabd8aae4bd41bfa.gif

d5f18e9ecfb93d0547f6ccf894cd2e0bab2d12c1.gif

DRAINUS (2022)

1_DRAINUS-Intro.gif

image4_yh1p.gif

2_DRAINUS-Reflector.gif

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I liked what I played of Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, but it kinda wore out its welcome pretty fast. Strangely slow pacing for a metroidvania. Gorgeous art, though.

The first game in the OP...ehh. The whole big-head maid thing doesn't work for me. But the Lodoss art was amazing. Deedlit's movements reminded me of SotN Alucard.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
you forgot shin megami tensei synchronicity prologue. this one is free altho atlus removed it from their site so youll have to dig around

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I liked what I played of Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, but it kinda wore out its welcome pretty fast. Strangely slow pacing for a metroidvania. Gorgeous art, though.

The first game in the OP...ehh. The whole big-head maid thing doesn't work for me. But the Lodoss art was amazing. Deedlit's movements reminded me of SotN Alucard.

If you haven't played DRAINUS yet, please do. It's their best game IMO.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Yeah I played a bit of Touhou Luna Nights but never finished it (this is just my brain, I rarely finish games).

I played through Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth last week though and couldn't put it down. Great game, looks amazing.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Deedlit is great. Perfect afternoon metroidvania as well, at like 4 to 5 hours.

you forgot shin megami tensei synchronicity prologue. this one is free altho atlus removed it from their site so youll have to dig around

Yeah this is surprisingly fun and recommendable.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Touhou Luna Nights was really good, but Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth... not so much (i think it played better in one of the early access versions).

I have yet to play Drainus, and it is currently on sale. Hmmmm.

Dest

Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
That Touhou game has always looked super cool for me but then I learned there are like 40 Touhou games and was like NOPE.
There's a lot of them to be sure, but a lot of fan stuff as well (like Touhou Luna Nights). You can play any of them whenever you want really. You'll be fine without knowing the Touhou lore. Luna Nights stands perfectly fine on its own.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
They have a very impressive engine that seems like it's very versatile. Definitely one of the indie devs I look forward to the most. I hope they make more original IP's after DRAINUS

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to play Drainus, and it is currently on sale. Hmmmm.

DO IT.

Or wait for the Switch release next month. Either way, it's a must-play game if you like shmups. Very accessible too, as it's designed more like a console shmup rather than something that mimics the punishing quarter-munching design ethos of arcade shmups.

harinezumi

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
There's a lot of them to be sure, but a lot of fan stuff as well (like Touhou Luna Nights). You can play any of them whenever you want really. You'll be fine without knowing the Touhou lore. Luna Nights stands perfectly fine on its own.

touhou is just a brand that anyone can use like pinochio or winnie the pooh like a public domain thing. you don't really have to play 40 games.

Really? That's strange (but really cool)

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played Touhou and enjoyed it, but the art didn't really stand out to me.

I didn't know about Drainus though, I'll have to give that one a shot!

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Is Drainus very difficult? I managed to beat R-Type Final 2 but that's not really a bullet hell.

420blzUP

Banned
Oct 6, 2022
The first game looks kinda sterile. The second seems more lively and rich. I will check it out.

DRAINUS! Is a very funny title, props for that.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Is Drainus very difficult? I managed to beat R-Type Final 2 but that's not really a bullet hell.
DRAINUS is more a "normal" shooter than a bullet hell. I think experienced shooters will find it easy but I personally had a fairly tough time with it. Either way I think it's manageable.

Welkins

Apr 7, 2021
Hold on ladybug put out another game? The hell when?

Loved Luna nights. GOAT worthy game. It's what got me into touhou

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
All three are fantastic, getting better with ever game. Drainius is their best work yet and I am looking forward to whatever comes next.
No, more on the easy side considering the genre.

Dest

Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Really? That's strange (but really cool)
ZUN (Touhou creator) is super chill with people using the IP and characters and things even commercially. There's tons of great stuff you can appreciate that's come from it. Most notably the fan games (which are free to be monitized by their creators, which is awesome cause they can be rewarded for their own hard work), and the fan albums that cover tracks from the games. There's hundreds of albums, some are not great as you'd expect, but there's some real fuckin' gems like Tokyo Active NEETs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsO1x2Ekw3Q

It's sick as hell and a really vibrant community. It's all pretty worth checking out even if you don't dive into it all too deeply. ZUN being so open about the IP is likely what has lead to it's popularity.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
They are aesthetically great, but the games themselves kind of bored the hell out of me. Atleast the Metroidvania ones, never played Drainus.

Nov 19, 2019
I loved Wonder Labyrinth, and am honestly kinda bummed at the "simulated pixel art" of Drainus.

The gif in that tweet is pretty convincing, but the actual game in motion looks quite obviously like a 3D game with some heavy filters. Pixel art of Ladybug's quality is as rare as hen's teeth, so seeing them move toward 3D is a disappointment.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the Deedlit game, to the point of going through some trouble to pick up the PS5 physical release.

I do hope the Touhou game gets a Playstation release at some point.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
DRAINUS is more a "normal" shooter than a bullet hell. I think experienced shooters will find it easy but I personally had a fairly tough time with it. Either way I think it's manageable.

it's definitely easier than any of the R-Type games-- that is for sure lol

I actually no-death ran the game on my second attempt. it's pretty good for genre newbies.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Drainus is an excellent way to get into the shooting game genre. Plays a lot like a modern Thunder Force would, while having a system for customization that has some shades of Tyrian in it. There's a good variety of difficulty options as well, and it's pretty easy to get into on even the normal mode.

I highly recommend it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Touhou Luna Nights is essentially a "fan" game. The mainline games by ZUN are shmups but the enterprise has gotten so widespread on account of fan-produced content spawning out of them since he's really cool about doujin works, and Luna Nights is probably one of the absolute finest. It's one of my favorite "lite" Metroidvanias, and a pretty excellent jumping-in point if you're unfamiliar with the franchise in general. It's not going to make you a lore expert or whatever, it's just cool characters being put into a cool pocket scenario.

Roarer

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I played the Record of Lodoss War game they made and it felt extremely derivative and uninspired. Felt more like a Symphony of the Night fan game than a "real game".

The pixel art is good on a techincal level, but doesn't do anything for me artistically.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue is the one that introduced it to me and the only one I have played. It's great though, and I liked how they adapted SMT combat mechanics to a 2D Metroidvania. The pixel art is beautiful especially on things like seeing classic Kazuma Kanenko demons. It's kind of neat getting to see the demons in more natural habitats. For instance you see the fishlike Azumi swimming in the water. In the games you don't often get to see them in water just because they're RPGs and don't involve swimming.

It's a shame Atlus attempted to scrub all mention of this game for some reason. I had hoped with the name "prologue" that maybe it would have some full paid game component, but sadly there has been nothing.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Luna Nights is a fantastic game, I dont think Ive played many/any previous Touhou games but I enjyoed that one so much, the later/hidden bosses are excellent, its such a mechanically clever game that I definitely recommend to anyone who wants a Metroidvania that's a bit different.

I have Lodoss War and Drainius on my backlog to play, I love how both look, just not found the time quite yet to play either.

420blzUP

Banned
Oct 6, 2022
Well that's a first for Touhou Nights
Right angles everywhere. Six identical columns right next to each other sticking out like a sore thumb with out anything to surprise the eye. Repeating tile after repeating tile. It looks like it is using randomly generated levels and that's why everything is so clinically drab.
The second game has uneven slopes, aged cobblestone at different angles that give character to the level. We even have a similar scenery with columns but those columns are less prominent even tho they are more detailed. They also get interrupted by pulsing lights from the wall chandeliers and smaller statues so you don't see how much assets are being reused.
So yeah in my opinion the background art of the second game is leagues above the first.
Maybe I am the only one not seeing the beauty of the first game... That's life I guess :)

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Right angles everywhere. Six identical columns right next to each other sticking out like a sore thumb with out anything to surprise the eye. Repeating tile after repeating tile. It looks like it is using randomly generated levels and that's why everything is so clinically drab.
The second game has uneven slopes, aged cobblestone at different angles that give character to the level. We even have a similar scenery with columns but those columns are less prominent even tho they are more detailed. They also get interrupted by pulsing lights from the wall chandeliers and smaller statues so you don't see how much assets are being reused.
So yeah in my opinion the background art of the second game is leagues above the first.
Maybe I am the only one not seeing the beauty of the first game... That's life I guess :)

Deedlit is definitely a step up from Luna Nights in terms of visual prowess, but I do still think that TLN looks quite nice in motion. I see what you mean about the somewhat simplistic background designs though.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I will, eventually, but too many games to play, so little time and i've playing DARIUSBURST CS lately, so i've had my shmup fill for a while.

Too many people sleeping on Pharaoh Rebirth+

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/441280/Pharaoh_Rebirth/
Team Ladybug always delivers the goodness.

Yep, it is good, and the soundtrack is fantastic (not a surprise really, because they always deliver with their soundtracks):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRFFS4xYxjk

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely gorgeous, the crisp edges, shading, color palette, and dithering really remind me of PC-88 and PC-98 games.

420blzUP

Banned
Oct 6, 2022
Deedlit is definitely a step up from Luna Nights in terms of visual prowess, but I do still think that TLN looks quite nice in motion. I see what you mean about the somewhat simplistic background designs though.
Oh, i am totally only talking about the Level art. Sprite design and animation quality (especially those effects) are truly beautiful! I am just a total Level and environment design slut. The only genres i like are grappling heavy Beat em ups and complex immersive sims/RPGs. But if a game has interesting and beautiful level design? I am there no matter what the gameplay loop is!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Been meaning to check these games out. Find it weird the Touhou one is on PC, Xbox, & Switch, but not PS4. Deedlit goes on sale for $15 every so often, so one of these days, when my backlog isn't so big, I'll grab it.

Is Drainus confirmed to hit other consoles aside from Switch next month? As a shmup fan, absolutely sounds like it's worth checking out?