Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
DXMl-LWVMAEgo1b.jpg

DXMnH8mV4AAABbz.jpg

DXMnLRTVQAEZN9a.jpg

(Images courtesy of /r/gameboymarketplace)

It's absolutely amazing what these modders do. I'm in LOVE with these things. I've been thinking of buying a Game Boy again recently anyways, but these things? Definitely pushed me over the edge. Either I'm gonna buy one of these pre-made by a modder, or do something myself with the custom parts you can buy online.

They're so incredibly pleasing to look at. Are there any other modded consoles or handhelds that look even half as nice as modded Game Boy Pockets do? Even the DMGs and Colors can't compare. Maaaaaybe the GBA.

fu5ljmegwj501.jpg

RtfXysA.jpg

zzkPhOC.jpg

5ubntcV.jpg

Whew...

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why can I see inside of them? is that part of the appeal?

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
this looks good, I remember GameBoy Pocket being my "dream" as 9 years old;
when I finally managed to get a game boy color I was so disappointed with the screen that I returned it after a couple of hours, the original screen on those consoles was really, really bad.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I'm with you there. I want a GBA and a GBC so bad right now but they can get pricey. Have you checked out retromoddding.com? Lots of neat stuff over there.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I still have a functional GBC and GBA, so I always considered doing this to either of them.

Backlit classic GBA just looks so much more appealing than an SP to me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you there. I want a GBA and a GBC so bad right now but they can get pricey. Have you checked out retromoddding.com? Lots of neat stuff over there.
i have, yeah
i've contacted the guy who made the pockets in my OP though. he normally sells them around $85-$125 USD shipped, which is a tough pill to swallow, but damn if it ain't tempting

JesDNC

Feb 16, 2018
I've benn looking to mod my old crappy GBA for a while, but the fact that you need to weld some points to put the backlit screen (you also need to cut some of the plastic in the case) scares me. Change the case seems pretty easy, but this... Uf. I've to think about it, but I LOVE the original GBA.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man...beautiful!

I've been wanting to pick up an original GBA for sometime now. Seeing pictures like these pushes me closer and closer.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I have a GBA, colour, multiple DS's and multiple 3DS xl's all of which don't get played lol. Anyhow I want to mod my GBA as the one above looks amazing, what are my options?

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I've benn looking to mod my old crappy GBA for a while, but the fact that you need to weld some points to put the backlit screen (you also need to cut some of the plastic in the case) scares me. Change the case seems pretty easy, but this... Uf. I've to think about it, but I LOVE the original GBA.

Weld? What do you mean. You buy the right cable for your revision and you're ready to put it together iirc

One of the biggest problems is that there is one particular component on the mainboard that varies in size and might just be too bulky on your GBA for the mod to fit.
I've bought a second GBA from ebay and that had a smaller one but it was still not ideal. So to cram everything in there and have the glass be flush, I can't screw the case on too tight xD

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
These look amazing OP. I'd own one just to have it sitting on a bookcase to show off.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Holy everything posted here is so amazing! I want any of these but I would settle with a simple AGS 101 GBA SP. My AGS 001 SP got stolen years ago :(

JesDNC

Feb 16, 2018
Weld? What do you mean. You buy the right cable for your revision and you're ready to put it together iirc

One of the biggest problems is that there is one particular component on the mainboard that varies in size and might just be too bulky on your GBA for the mod to fit.
I've bought a second GBA from ebay and that had a smaller one but it was still not ideal. So to cram everything in there and have the glass be flush, I can't screw the case on too tight xD
The thing is that the original GBA motherboard doesn't give enough power to the backlight, so the adaptor comes with a cable you need to weld to get the extra brightness.

Of course, you can do it without that, but it's not the best result. And I'm the kind of person that if I'm going to do something, I prefer to do it in the best way possible.

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
I've looked into doing this. I have a couple of GBCs that I was thinking of doing a custom shell and backlight mod. It's a bit pricey though, even doing it yourself.

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
God damn these look sexy.
I have my old Gameboy Pocket layin around but sadly im not really good at modding or stuff like this.
A backlight mod plus a new shell would be really neat.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking of doing this to one of mine but the cost is also the issue. Are prices reasonable?